How do find "newly" hid cache?

Paigex71

Alot of the caches we have found are in serious need of maintenance. My daughter was asking, how do we find one so we can be TFT...

Generally, that's known as FTF...First to Find.

You can set up notifications as noted in the above post.

Or you can constantly check the "List newest in xxx" through your profile page:

http://www.geocaching.com/my/default.aspx

Depending on the area you are in, you might need to be really quick on the ball to get those FTF's. Remember, the other cachers in your area might be getting those same notifications.

B.

Plus be aware that FTF is some sort of beta testing. Expect incomplete listings, unsolvable or wrong puzzle solutions, bad coordinates, strange hides and the one or other hassle with the land owner...

Have fun getting around these! :)

Yep, I've encountered every one of those scenarios. You missed one, though: no container because it hasn't been placed yet. :laughing:

Plus be aware that FTF is some sort of beta testing. Expect incomplete listings, unsolvable or wrong puzzle solutions, bad coordinates, strange hides and the one or other hassle with the land owner...

Had most of those. All of them except the issue with a landowner. I did have some issues with a landowner who told me the land I was on was private even though I'd followed a marked bridlepath, although it turned out I'd put wrong coords into the GPS.

If there are any issues at all with the cache, the first few seekers will be the ones who experience them in full. Whether that's the cache being 300 feet from the posted coordinates, the container being stolen already (in an urban area, or if the hiding spot isn't good, it's entirely possible that a cache will be muggled before it gets published), or the text refers to "the sign" and when you get there you find there are multiple signs, you may have a job more tricky than just "visit coords, locate cache".

On the other hand there is something to be said for being the first to sign a blank log. If you've never been FTF before it's cool to chalk a few up.

Afternoon y'all! All of your advice paid off! I went to a new listing this morning and found it in a few minutes. I was elated that I was the FTF. So, I really want and need to thank all of you for helping a newbie family to all of this. You guys are great!

Edited by Paigex71

Actually beta-testing can make for some good stories.

I still remember the cache which wasn't in place yet. GZ was full of garbage, dog poop and prickles. Yes, I was searching without gloves. Yes, it was dark. Yes, I grabbed dog poop more than once.

These are the kind of stories your grandchildren will enjoy hearing. :D

Yup, FTF events are fun. :)

Once I invited the FTF and STF (TTF was days later) into a local bar. Publish was at evening, first puzzlers complained soon after, I corrected my dumb listing error and drove to GZ at 11:00 PM, just before the first finders came. We then stayed in the bar for 2 hrs (after midnight), having a great time. One of my best memories! :)

Just missed being FTF on one occasion, although we weren't trying for it. However, at GZ, we found two containers, both brand new, both with fresh log sheets. Obviously, two cachers had the same idea of placement at what was a super view. Signed both logs to cover our butts. Saw the other cachers returning to their car as we were leaving ours.