Patch Released Today

Jeremy

Looks like my original post was snipped...

We released a patch today to help address the recent issues to the site. There have been some weird occurences that have been hard to track down so we're doing our best to find the source of the problem.

In the meantime I wanted to let you know that we have been working with an outside consulting firm to look over the code and database for the web site. Our goal for 2007 is to make the geocaching.com web site incredibly scalable so we can, if we need to, easily ramp up to 5 times the traffic we are receiving now. We'll be making the changes with smaller milestones throughout the year - first to benefit the existing traffic in the near term and stages of patches to ultimately rebuild the back-end. This will ultimately convert the pesky hobby code that has been plaguing sections of the site.

We appreciate your patience while we make these changes. Thanks to the premium members and other forms of financial support we are able to take these next steps to achieve the ultimate goal - to let me and the other developers have a night off for pizza every once in a while.

As far as we can tell, the issues on Wednesday had to do with a corrupted index in the database. After bringing down the database server in the early Thursday morning hours (Pacific time) the database was reindexed. We continued to monitor the site over the last 2 days and there have been no issues since.

We're still continuing to research and optimize the database, as well as work with an outside company to help us analyze and improve the performance of the web site. We'll also increase the amount of reindexing for the database to ensure this doesn't happen too often.