Gw4 Hosting Invitation

A selection committee has been formed to accept proposals to host GW4, We have heard from some folks who have expressed a general interest in hosting GW4 next year but the time has come to discuss specifically who is interested and how much they are interested. The primary purpose and discussion involved in this thread is Where and Who should host GW4 next year? The committee has established the following list of questions we would like to have answered in the means of a formal proposal submitted by email to the committee. Our purpose is to be able to make an informed decision and be able to judge all interested groups on the same criteria. We want to see GW4 continue to grow and be as successful as the previous Woodstock events.

Please use the following questions as a guideline for your proposals:

1 The Name and Size of your organization

2 The experience your organization has with putting on events (please specify size of events)

3 The date you think you would want to host GW4

4 A preliminary layout for the event ie a basic schedule of events

5 The cache density of the immediate area.5, 10,20 miles radius

6 Any ideas on how you propose to pay to host the event.

All submittals can be sent to thefederation@joimail.com and I will forward them to the committee there is no deadline for submitting proposals but we would like to get initial proposals within the next 3 to 4 weeks. After that we will follow up with more specific questions and hopefully have a decision made by mid to end July. While we appreciate any comments supporting the groups that submit proposals in this forum we will only consider those groups who have actually submitted a formalized proposal to the committee. I have asked the forum Moderators to help as much as possible in keeping this thread on topic and not letting it become a free for all discussion. Please feel free to support your group or area but please try to keep the thread on topic.

NEFGA would like to offer our services and any assistance we can to the next group who gets GW4. If you have any questions in preparation for your proposals please feel free to email me and I will get you an answer as quickly as possible.

Hmmm... no doubt a HUGE undertaking, but... if some org (WSGA? gc.com?) here in WA hasn't already inquired, than I dare say - a GW here in the "World Headquarters of Geocaching" would seem mighty appropo, no?

We surely have waaaay more than enough cache "density" in most every blessed corner! :)

RightWingW? Jeremy? - or maybe nay 'cuz gc's not an org?

How about an area of LOW cache density.

This way the slogan can be: GeoWoodstock IV; This time it's NOT about the numbers!"

It good just be good ol' socializing without all the wagon trains.

Well that would certainly rule out NJ. :)

Actually GW3 was such a huge event that there was room and time for everything you could want. Plenty of socializing at two well organized events, with plenty of caches of all shapes, sizes and types for all to seek. (Well unless you like extreme elevation changes. After all it was Florida.)

I think JoGPS, the founder of Geowoodstock would want it to always be "all about the numbers". But there are important numbers to count besides the number of caches found.

This way the slogan can be: GeoWoodstock IV; This time it's NOT about the numbers!"

Actually someone floated the idea of Camp Glen Gray (N 41° 04.446 W 074° 13.588) for a Geowoodstock event.

It's an old Boy Scout camp that will accomodate several hundred people. In addition to 14 cabins that will house 195 people, there are several lean-tos, tent platforms and numerous "backcountry" camp sites. There is also a huge mess hall, bonfire area and amphitheater. There are also some major hotels within 15 minutes for those who aren't into rustic digs.

It was pointed out that most of the caches nearby involve hiking and are 2.5 - 3.5 stars for terrain and there are few park & grabs in the immediate area, but is that a bad thing? I'm with Mopar in that focusing on socializing can be a good thing. Besides, there are hundreds of caches within 20 miles (and the last time we checked, less than 12 percent were micros) so folks who want to bag numbers still can.

If people think a huge campout could be a good idea, perhaps the fledgling NNJC can put together a proposal.

Edited by briansnat

Not sure I noticed your log on the GW3 page. Were you there?

and that has to do with what?

I spent all my time socializing. The only cache I logged was the event its self. I do believe where ever it's held there just needs be adequate caches for visitors to find, but I don't believe that the area has to be as cache dense such as Nashville or Jacksonville.

El Diablo

Edited by El Diablo

I wasn't there either. Does it mean I can't have an opinion?

I'm sure there are going to be plenty of opinions to go around and many of the forum junkies will be posting.

But lets keep it friendly and to the topic..

Is your group going to try to host the event? We can sit here and banter all day but if you dont have a group that can host the event and the number of people to do the work that it will take to make GW4 another premier event why blow smoke. I'll admit its fun to get others all heated up. But Can YOUR group do the JOB, and are they all willing to put the months of work into making the event as Great for everyone as GW3 ... that means Everyone High number types/ layed back types/ hikers/ urbans drive bys/ HANDICACHING/ GeoWoodstock is for ALL CACHERS not just the type of caches you or a few others like.....CAN YOUR GROUP DO IT<Thats the real question..

Edited by StressMaster
A selection committee has been formed to accept proposals to host GW4, We have heard from some folks who have expressed a general interest in hosting GW4 next year but the time has come to discuss specifically who is interested and how much they are interested. The primary purpose and discussion involved in this thread is Where and Who should host GW4 next year? The committee has established the following list of questions we would like to have answered in the means of a formal proposal submitted by email to the committee. Our purpose is to be able to make an informed decision and be able to judge all interested groups on the same criteria. We want to see GW4 continue to grow and be as successful as the previous Woodstock events.

2 The experience your organization has with putting on events (please specify size of events)

All submittals can be sent to thefederation@joimail.com and I will forward them to the committee there is no deadline for submitting proposals but we would like to get initial proposals within the next 3 to 4 weeks. After that we will follow up with more specific questions and hopefully have a decision made by mid to end July. While we appreciate any comments supporting the groups that submit proposals in this forum we will only consider those groups who have actually submitted a formalized proposal to the committee. I have asked the forum Moderators to help as much as possible in keeping this thread on topic and not letting it become a free for all discussion. Please feel free to support your group or area but please try to keep the thread on topic.

NEFGA would like to offer our services and any assistance we can to the next group who gets GW4. If you have any questions in preparation for your proposals please feel free to email me and I will get you an answer as quickly as possible.

Ummm, who are you who gave you the authority to decide where GW IV is hosted??

Interesting questions. Did you guys have to provide all the answers to the above questions or was it a bit more casual?

Its an event for Christ sake not a Government Contract!

There is a committee???? Didn't Joe make the decision all by himself for you guys?

Its not bad enough we had all the junk getting GW3 going, all the fun breaking and bending of the guidelines now there has to be a committee to pick the next place.

Just throw everyones name in a hat and pull out a name. Trust who ever wins to do a good job as you were trusted to do a good job.

Yes it is all about the numbers,

This comes directly from the GW3 site

We had over 530 cachers in attendance.

We had over 1800 tbugs move through the event.

We served over 500 lbs of chicken.

We used over 600 lbs of ice.

We gave away over 300 door prizes

Edited by geoholic28

I know there will be a numerous amount of comments from numeorus cachers everyone is welcome to submit their proposals to host the event. Everyone will be given due consideration with no preconcieved notions of what the event should look like. PLease try to keep this thread on topic. If you care to support your area and give the reason why your area should host the event we welcome all comments. If someone wants to start another thread on what GeoWoodstock should be that its another topic for discussion altogether.

Usually? Didn't Joe hold the first two? It seems to me that it should be his decision where the next one is.

In all fairness, I'm not comfortable with the 'rule' that you had to be at GW3 to host GW4. I think that would be a great idea if it were designed to be a regional get-together, but if you want it to include all geocachers, you might want to take a look at groups who are further abroad. Midwest, West, Northeast, etc.

I know there will be a numerous amount of comments from numeorus cachers everyone is welcome to submit their proposals to host the event. Everyone will be given due consideration with no preconcieved notions of what the event should look like. PLease try to keep this thread on topic. If you care to support your area and give the reason why your area should host the event we welcome all comments. If someone wants to start another thread on what GeoWoodstock should be that its another topic for discussion altogether.

I wouldn't mind if Joe chimed in to outline what his thoughts are about GW4.

Edited by sbell111

I'm sure there are going to be plenty of opinions to go around and many of the forum junkies will be posting.

Is your group going to try to host the event? We can sit here and banter all day but if you dont have a group that can host the event and the number of people to do the work that it will take to make GW4 another premier event why blow smoke. I'll admit its fun to get others all heated up. But Can YOUR group do the JOB, and are they all willing to put the months of work into making the event as Great for everyone as GW3 ... that means Everyone High number types/ layed back types/ hikers/ urbans drive bys/ HANDICACHING/ GeoWoodstock is for ALL CACHERS not just the type of caches you or a few others like.....CAN YOUR GROUP DO IT<Thats the real question..

It really dosen't matter if my local organization is applying to host the event or not . As a interested cacher I think my opinion should count. I'm not blowing smoke, I have a genuine interest in where the next event will be held.

El Diablo

It really dosen't matter if my local organization is applying to host the event or not . As a interested cacher I think my opinion should count. I'm not blowing smoke, I have a genuine interest in where the next event will be held.

El Diablo

Opinions are like ________ everyone has one...

The fact is the topic is for WHO is willing to host the next event .. everyone can post for months but if a group does not want to step forward and propose that they can do it.. this will accomplish nothing.

and yes it all still comes down to JOE, Geowoodstock is his and he is in on how this would be done .

Edited by StressMaster

Yes opinions are like____and I do have one. I resent anyone telling me that mine dosen't count if I'm not willing to host the event.

I would think that Joe would be very interested in the general opinion of cachers, wether they represent an organization or not.

Even though you have made it clear that you are not interested in a lowly opinion like mine, I'm going to state it anyways.

I believe that Joe should consider a organization in the mid-west, North,Texas or the west coast. Provided that there is one there that can step up and handle the event. I think we should spread the joy.

All the places I just mentioned would mean that I wouldn't be able to attend, but I would like to see people enjoy what I did last weekend and couldn't.

El Diablo

What are the OP's qualifications to decide who, where and when GW 4 is hosted and how was he elected?

Unless I missed it, I don't recall a poll or any other type of vote to elect these so-called committee members.

What are the OP's qualifications to decide who, where and when GW 4 is hosted and how was he elected?

Unless I missed it, I don't recall a poll or any other type of vote to elect these so-called committee members.

Jogps organized the first event and has help organize the others. It's considered his baby. Someone has to make the ultimate decision, so I think his is as good if not better than most.

El Diablo

Yes opinions are like____and I do have one. I resent anyone telling me that mine dosen't count if I'm not willing to host the event.

I would think that Joe would be very interested in the general opinion of cachers, wether they represent an organization or not.

Even though you have made it clear that you are not interested in a lowly opinion like mine, I'm going to state it anyways.

I believe that Joe should consider a organization in the mid-west, North,Texas or the west coast. Provided that there is one there that can step up and handle the event. I think we should spread the joy.

All the places I just mentioned would mean that I wouldn't be able to attend, but I would like to see people enjoy what I did last weekend and couldn't.

El Diablo

Perhaps the above posts were somewhat blunt, but the fact is, if every forum poster said they think it'd be a grand idea to have the event in Buggtustle Oklahoma and we had unanamous agreement on it and we all patted ourselves on the back for being so aggreeable and open to each others opinions it wouldn't matter one whit if there wasn't an orginized group in the Buggtustle area willing and able to host the event.

That's the purpose of this threadif understand the opening post. Soliciting proposals from groups willing an able to host the event.

Perhaps another thread should be started on what everyone's opinions are about the relative merits of various locations where no one is really interested in hosting an event. But unless someone is really on board for hosting an event in a particular place, our opinions about it are off topic if not completely irrelevant.

Does GeoWoodstock IV have to be in the USA, or would locations in other countries be considered too?

If you or anyone else wants to host a GW style event in your country go right ahead and submit one.

El Diablo

Perhaps the above posts were somewhat blunt, but the fact is, if every forum poster said they think it'd be a grand idea to have the event in Buggtustle Oklahoma and we had unanamous agreement on it and we all patted ourselves on the back for being so aggreeable and open to each others opinions it wouldn't matter one whit if there wasn't an orginized group in the Buggtustle area willing and able to host the event.

That's the purpose of this threadif understand the opening post. Soliciting proposals from groups willing an able to host the event.

Perhaps another thread should be started on what everyone's opinions are about the relative merits of various locations where no one is really interested in hosting an event. But unless someone is really on board for hosting an event in a particular place, our opinions about it are off topic if not completely irrelevant.

I think every cacher that posts here probably belongs to an organization, so I don't see how it's irrevelant. Or do you just want the big guns to reply?

There are only about a dozen if that many that can put on such an event. Why don't you just email them?

El Diablo

El Diablo

What you just said is the type of things that need to be said.. You show a true unbiased reasoning that no one else had tried to state.. I agree fully with a different area of the country, the Southeast has had it three years and it should move around the country each year. west.. Texas..north etc.. but i don't see anyone else saying that,

I see put it close to me so I can go stuff.. not what's best for the caching community.. I may have P#@#@ed you off and mixed the pot a bit and for that I do Apologize to you.

Everyone here needs to think GEOcaching not MEocaching...

What's best for everyone.. for some numbers.for some hikes. others handicaching. others sit and chat... and Who can offer that best for the community. you saying Texas or north or west is fine and might get someone in them areas to say we can do it.. but others saying I want it close to me or only a event no caching or all hikes is not helping anyone.

Nope, I wasn't there.

Know why?

I had the means.

I had the money.

I had the time off from work and family obligations.

All factors that prevented me from going to the 1st 2 GeoWoodstocks.

Yet I still didn't go.

Why? Because I didn't care for the attitudes in the planning for GW3.

I didn't care for the hype.

I didn't care for the commercialization.

I didn't care for the fact that it was heavily promoted as being only about the numbers.

I didn't feel that what I saw leading up to GW3 honored the laid-back spirit of GW1 and 2, nor did I feel that it honored the spirit of why event caches were originally created in the first place.

Those are my personal opinions, and I am entitled to them. I'm sad I didn't get to see some old friends again and meet new ones, but it would have been hypocritical to support something I didn't believe in. I'm sure nobody missed me (and I bet quite a few are even glad I didn't attend :)) and my little "boycott" hurt no one. That's just the way I am. I don't buy products from companies that violate my beliefs, I won't work for companies I don't agree with. I'm sure it has no impact, but I sleep well at night.

My comment about density was a valid one, and one that has come up during the planning of our regional event (which has run as long as geowoodstock and has the same attendance in past years).

Several people commented about not seeing me there. I know it was meant as a slam, but really, with all the various guided cache mega-tours, I could have been there and the only people who would have seen me would have been the people in my cache run. I feel (and I'm not the only one, just maybe the most vocal in the forums) that if there were less caches and organized runs, there would be more socializing. And isn't that what event caches were created for? To meet your fellow cachers and socialize? Signing in at a table at 8am and then heading out caching for the rest of the day is a blast, but it's really not socializing.

I think GW4 could be just as successful and fun if it was more laid back. Less emphasis on the numbers, and more on meeting other cachers. That was my suggestion in my previous post here, and if the replies (some since edited) here are any indication, I won't be at GW4 either. Pity, I really do enjoy traveling to other parts of the country to meet the people I see here in the forums and check out the local caches. But then I can still do that (and am doing just that in a few weeks with the money I saved by not attending GW3) without there being an event.

El Diablo

What you just said is the type of things that need to be said.. You show a true unbiased reasoning that no one else had tried to state.. I agree fully with a different area of the country, the Southeast has had it three years and it should move around the country each year. west.. Texas..north etc.. but i don't see anyone else saying that,

I see put it close to me so I can go stuff.. not what's best for the caching community.. I may have P#@#@ed you off and mixed the pot a bit and for that I do Apologize to you.

Everyone here needs to think GEOcaching not MEocaching...

What's best for everyone.. for some numbers.for some hikes. others handicaching. others sit and chat... and Who can offer that best for the community. you saying Texas or north or west is fine and might get someone in them areas to say we can do it.. but others saying I want it close to me or only a event no caching or all hikes is not helping anyone.

Apology accepted. Also I extend mine for being a little ticked off.

El Diablo

This post started off with good intentions. Apparently some of the replies were not what was wanted...opinions and such.

However,and this goes for myself, this is not a thread for either side to take snipes at the other.

There is a genuine interest to plan an event next year that will surpass the previous. Let's stop the snide remarks and work on this as a community.

So...everyone take a deep breath.....better now? Of course you are.

Now let's help create a stellar GWIV!!

El Diablo

This post started off with good intentions. Apparently some of the replies were not what was wanted...opinions and such.

However,and this goes for myself, this is not a thread for either side to take snipes at the other.

There is a genuine interest to plan an event next year that will surpass the previous. Let's stop the snide remarks and work on this as a community.

So...everyone take a deep breath.....better now? Of course you are.

Now let's help create a stellar GWIV!!

El Diablo

Great idea!

It could just be good ol' socializing without all the wagon trains.

Interesting questions. Did you guys have to provide all the answers to the above questions or was it a bit more casual?

There is a committee???? Didn't Joe make the decision all by himself for you guys?

Its not bad enough we had all the junk getting GW3 going, all the fun breaking and bending of the guidelines now there has to be a committee to pick the next place.

Just throw everyones name in a hat and pull out a name. Trust who ever wins to do a good job as you were trusted to do a good job.

This post probably fits my feelings closer than any other.

I was put off by the arrogance that happened about the same timeframe after GWII and now I see the same attitude shortly after GWIII. Along with some self appointed "commitee" sheesh.

Oops, sorry, was posting while El Diablo was.

Edited by wvcoalcat

I could have been there and the only people who would have seen me would have been the people in my cache run. I feel (and I'm not the only one, just maybe the most vocal in the forums) that if there were less caches and organized runs, there would be more socializing. And isn't that what event caches were created for? To meet your fellow cachers and socialize? Signing in at a table at 8am and then heading out caching for the rest of the day is a blast, but it's really not socializing.

Not trying to start anything but your one part about GW3 not being laid back and a day of meeting others is wrong.. If you had come you would have seen that, The day of the event was all about people we had no cache runs that day unlike past events.( there were caches for people that wanted to go look for some) All planned cache runs were held on Sunday the day after the event.. we had many to chose from and the run i did was a slow run for anyone that didn't want to rush around town.. It was the handicaching run and we had a great day of nice slow at your pace caching.. not number caching. two runs were in historical areas. one was a fast paced cache run for the ones that wanted numbers. and we even had one you would have enjoyed an all hiking cache run ..

This post probably fits my feelings closer than any other.

I was put off by the arrogance that happened about the same timeframe after GWII and now I see the same attitude shortly after GWIII. Along with some self appointed "commitee" sheesh.

Oops, sorry, was posting while El Diablo was.

I was also originally put off by the greatest event of the year being decided by one person. However as I stated earlier, someone has to make the ultimate decision and live with it.

I've met JOgps and I think he has done a great job. What we need to do now is suport him.

El Diablo

Signing in at a table at 8am and then heading out caching for the rest of the day is a blast, but it's really not socializing.

For this it really shows that you were not there. If you had attended, the cache runs were a different day. There were only a handful of caches that were done at the event itself. Hours upon hours of socializing were done on Saturday durning the event. The park opened at 8 am and there was still socializing going on when we left after 6pm.

Back OT. Yes we believe that the event needs to be shared amung other caching communities, BUT they need to have the resources and willing cachers to make it an event to remember. Havinga rep that has attended a previous GW is a wise choice, that would give them an idea of what to expect. As the registration contact for this past event, we can say that it does take a lot of effort from a lot of people to tackle this size event. If the area that is chosen want any help with registration, please feel free to email us and we can provide you with a copy of our Excel spreadsheet that pretty much made life easy at the registration tables.