Paperless Caching

I have been using Cachemate and just absolutly love it. The problem is my Palms digitizer has gone nuts. This is the second Palm to do this so I am wanting to ditch Palm products and switch to a pocket pc. My question is what is a good cache manager? I see 2 in the resorces section GPXSonar and GPXView. Are there others? Anyone have any preferences? Hopefully Im not opening a Magellan/Garmin debate

By chance,, was the Palm unit you had digitizer problems was a m100? That model is a real piece of CRAP I went through THREE of them in about a week because the touchscreen tracking just wouldn't work. I switched to a Sony built Palm unit and absolutely love it. Even the Palm brand Tungstens or Zire's are good choices as far as I've heard.

Remember if switching to PocketPC.. they're 1) more expensive, 2) bigger/heavier, 3) a lot tougher on batteries, and 4) just as fragile in the woods as a Palm.. don't spend a lot of $ on ANY Palm/PPC if you're going to Geocache off the beaten path with it.

Will the GPX Sonar project a waypoint? Cachemate will but my eXplorist wont :huh:

Yes, here's how.

1. Tap and hold the starting waypoint.

2. The context menu appears: select Field Notes

3. The Field Notes dialog appears: click the Actual Coords button

4. The Actual Coordinates dialog appears: click the Project button

Are you sure the Explorist won't project? I thought it could be done from the map page by moving the cursor around to set the distance and bearing, then holding GOTO to create a waypoint to the new location.

Are you sure the Explorist won't project? I thought it could be done from the map page by moving the cursor around to set the distance and bearing, then holding GOTO to create a waypoint to the new location

The eXplorist does not have a Projection feature. Yes you can move the cursor, but this is not as precise as a true projection function. And the lack of mils reduces the precision even more.

With a true projection feature, you can solve triangulation and projection problems anywhere, quicker and with greater precision.

This is the first time I've ever heard that GpxSonar runs on a Palm. :P Yes, I know the OP asked about it, but the subject should have been limited to Palm software.

Why would the subject be limited to Palm software when the OP said he's dumping Palm and switching to PocketPC?

Recommending Palm software would have been off-topic.....

Will the GPX Sonar project a waypoint? Cachemate will but my eXplorist wont :P

Are you sure your explorist 600 won't do waypoint projection? If my lowly, outdated Magellan Map330 can do it, yours should too. To get to the waypoint projection with mine, you start out with the Position page, press MENU and there's should be an option called PROJECTION. Please try and let me know. I'm sure it can.

My kids Geko will do a projection but my Explorist wont. I still havent decided on a new (or used) PDA. I may go with a Sony since it runs Palm software or a PPC maybe a Dell Axim. I have found some Dells fairly cheap. I like the fact they have a CF card slot and I can use it as a photo viewer also. I still havent counted out the Zaurus and use a Palm emulator. So many choices.

I assume you have tried calibrating the digitizer. Have you tried using Digifix or DigiE to do the calibration? They work for most models, most of the time, and are both freeware. Digitizer drift is not limited to Palms - any handheld can have the problem, ande PPCs are certainly not immune.