Gpsmap 60c Ver. 4.00 As Of June 20, 2005

I do not think there will be category on 76/60.

Garmin seems to not add new functionality in already released products.

We have made a long list of function that we like to add, but Garmin seems to ignore it. Like the possibility to hide the top info line to get more map, or make it transparency.

One the 76CS Plus from west marine you can hot swap from hiking to boating to using it on road. It changes from mph to knot, change maps etc with only a few click.

Edited by jotne
Improved USB support.

This firmware seems to be a step up for Mac users. Prior to Mac OS X 10.3.8, the Mac couldn't talk to the Garmin 60cs at all via USB due to Garmin's USB protocol violations. More recent versions of Mac OS X (including 10.3.8 and above) include a workaround specific to Garmin and can connect to the 60cs. Unfortunately, other USB idiosyncrasies prevent software like gpsbabel from fully working over USB without additional patches.

With this latest 4.00 firmware connected over USB to Mac OS X 10.4.1, a clean build of gpsbabel works just fine with the 60cs. I suspect (but haven't tested) that this will be true of any OS version >= 10.3.8. It may or may not be true for OS versions < 10.3.8.

Although I had high hopes that this would also make Mapsource in Virtual PC work via USB, that doesn't seem to be the case. I did a full round of driver and software updates last night trying to find a combination of VPC and Garmin USB drivers that allow MapSource running inside VPC to talk to the 60cs directly over USB. It seems really close, but something still interferes[1]. In the

end, I couldn't get Mapsource to find the 60cs via USB (it works fine with a Keyspan usb serial adapter routing the serial driver into VPC as a serial port).

I haven't tried the win32 gpsbabel in VPC after the update, but suspect that this won't work.

--Scott

[1] I ended up with Mapsource 6.5, VPC 7.0.1, and the latest Garmin Windows USB drivers from the website. I told VPC to route the unknown USB device to XP. When XP boots (or when you plug in the 60cs) the USB icon on the 60cs appears and you get the connected "beep". When you go into the hardware preference pane and find the Garmin driver, it shows a device attached and working properly. But when you ask Mapsource to find the 60cs, it fails to do so.

It would be interesting to try the windows build of gpsbabel and see if that can talk over USB to the 60cs when running under VPC. I didn't get a chance to try that last night.