Need A Cheap Starter Gps To Help With Geocaching

Bottom End GPS's that will do the job well.

Garmin Gecko 201

Garmin Legend

Garmin eTrex

Magellan Sport Tracks (being discontinued but functional GPS's)

Cobra is junk.

Some other entry level GPS's don't allow you to connect the GPS to the computer. This is perhaps the most important ability beyond the basic function of finding coordinates.

Any GPS sold will take you to a geocache. (Except I've heard if you do find a Cobra in the bargin bin you have to make some adjustments because it doesn't get you as close to the cache as it should).

Those are good suggestions. Now...where to buy? Walmart offers 30 day return and no restocking fee. (Circuit City and Best Buy don't.) You can try one out and return it if it doesn't work out for you. They have good prices as well. I purchased a Magellan Meridian Gold for $198.00 (much lower than anywhere else) and am completely satisfied...for now! They have less expensive models as well. The only drawback is you can't call to ask what they have in stock....I tried that and three clerks said "GPwhat?" So you have to go in and shop in the sporting goods section. I have seen the Garmin Gecko and eTrex at Target but compare their prices to what they offer online before you buy. Costco online offers the same return policy however their units are more expensive. Good luck!

Susieiz

I have just the little yellow Etrex, and it works excellent.

I have seen them brand new for $89, and on Ebay for less then $50.

If you are new to geocaching, then this unit would be a good way to spend a little money to see if you're really into it.

I hook it up to both my home computer, to load waypoints, and hook it to my PDA for on the go mapping etc.

Great little unit, at a GREAT price.

Forum lore says that the little Yellow etrex, <$100, has found more caches than any other GPSr. You don't HAVE to have a GPSr that connects to your computer, but it makes thing easier. The Yellow will connect to your computer, but you need to buy the cable (sold separately).

For $150 or so, you can step up to the Garmin Legend. It comes with a cable, and offers a map to show you where you are as you walk. The basemap isnt too detailed, but if you find you like caching, you can buy more detailed topo or city maps to load onto the Legend.

I just bought a Garmin Etrex Legend from OfficeDepot for just over $100 ($119 minus 15% using a store coupon from my Sunday paper). It's a neat little unit, and has worked well for the few caches I've found. Amazon sells the same unit for $139, so if you want one, go now!

Ronnie

My honey promised to get me a GPS for my birthday (not for a few months), and after much research decided I wanted a Lowrance iFinder Pro or H2O. In the meantime, I thought I'd buy a very basic inexpensive model so I'd be able to geocache sooner, and then I'd be able to pass it down to the kids when I got the other model. I was looking at the iFinder Go or iFinder Go2, very inexpensive with a lot of bang for the buck. I would have got one if I could have waited a few more days (no local stores carry them so I would have had to order and wait for it to be shipped to me.) But, I couldn't wait (especially since I have vacation this week and wanted to get out right away), so I ended up getting a Garmin Geko 201 that I got on clearance at Dick's for only $55.

I am impressed with the Geko 201. It is so easy to use, I didn't even really need the instruction manual. It's definitely a good starter model. No maps, but it will do. I do plan to upgrade soon (can't wait for that birthday!), but this is a nice little model, especially for the price I got mine at.

Thanks for the replies, everyone - they have been very helpful.

From The Hermit Crabs repost of a message from Briansnat, a link was given for a Lowrance iFinder GO Portable GPS Unit

Anyone own this unit? Reccomend it or dislike it? Just to check, would this unit be helpful in Geocaching? Link to some info about it is above.

(BTW, my girlfriend and I have searched for a few geocaches in our area. We love it. Using only clues and online maps, we were able to find 3 caches - BUT, we were unable to track down another 8 to 10 without a GPS to use! Her birthday is coming up in 3 weeks and I'd like to get her a small GPS unit for us to use.)

Thanks!

And thank you for making me feel welcome here after only my first post!

Thanks for the replies, everyone - they have been very helpful.

From The Hermit Crabs repost of a message from Briansnat, a link was given for a  Lowrance iFinder GO Portable GPS Unit

Anyone own this unit? Reccomend it or dislike it? Just to check, would this unit be helpful in Geocaching? Link to some info about it is above.

(BTW, my girlfriend and I have searched for a few geocaches in our area. We love it. Using only clues and online maps, we were able to find 3 caches - BUT, we were unable to track down another 8 to 10 without a GPS to use! Her birthday is coming up in 3 weeks and I'd like to get her a small GPS unit for us to use.)

Thanks!

And thank you for making me feel welcome here after only my first post!

I just spent a weekend with a brand new Ifinder GO, and like briansnat and IV x IV, I'm a fan. Wrote a little review of it here. Wife and I use a Sportrak Pro, and it's a nice little unit, too. I like all the features, accuracy is great, and if you've got some time and don't mind looking all over the internet, you can come up with one for under 2 bills real quick. Being a college student, you could double the funciotnality by finding a copy of Mapsend Direct route fairly cheap *COUGH*emule*COUGH* as well, though I wouln't ever condone that... :unsure:

Yellow is your last choice, IMO. Nice unit, accurate enough, but a boring gray screen with a little trail behind you isn't enough to make you do back flips...

-p