Quest 2

I noticed a new model, the Quest 2, on the Garmin site. It comes preloaded with detailed maps of the USA and Canada, but I could not tell whether it comes with CitySelect software that could be loaded into a second unit. I also could not tell how much memory it has for other maps such as topo or Europe etc.

Edited by appletree
I noticed a new model, the Quest 2, on the Garmin site. It comes preloaded with detailed maps of the USA and Canada, but I could not tell whether it comes with CitySelect software that could be loaded into a second unit. I also could not tell how much memory it has for other maps such as topo or Europe etc.

140 MB supplemental map storage is available for downloading map detail from other MapSource products (U.S. versions only).

Not sure if you get the CD or not.

No indication on Garmin's site that the package includes the CDs or DVD for loading CitySelect to a PC so I presume that's not included - same as for the SP 2620/2660 which also have the maps preloaded and don't come with the software.

In addition to not being able to use the maps on a second GPS receiver, you also won't have them available for pretrip planning on your computer. [Or even for answering all the questions that arise here about how many maps will fit in 56 or 115 MB.] Hope Garmin changes their policy on this and starts including the software with units that have the maps preloaded.

I have the Quest 2 and NO it does not come with the CDs. The only two complaints that I have with this unit is that it does not come with the Cds and it does not come with an AC charger. Otherwise it is great to travel and not have to load maps.

So not only do they make you pay $200 for $50 worth of flash memory, they also limit what you can use it for... Nice!

It depends, how much memory has the new Quest 2 ?? If it has all the CS on board and still has 140 mb left over, it must have about 2 gb. memory totaly.

My guess would be closer to 1.5 gig -- which comes out to about $75 bucks in current SD card prices (and probably far less if you are buying bulk chips).

Your guess would probably be wrong. The entire European City Select maps, version 7, comprise 1779 MB worth of map memory. Then leave some for the user, and consider that memory chips are designed in sizes like 1 GB, 2 GB etc., the 2 GB estiamate is pretty obvious.

Edited by apersson850
Your guess would probably be wrong. The entire European City Select maps, version 7, comprise 1779 MB worth of map memory. Then leave some for the user, and consider that memory chips are designed in sizes like 1 GB, 2 GB etc., the 2 GB estiamate is pretty obvious.

Yep, sorry, I was looking at the img file sizes and forgot about the indexing overhead. But even assuming that the memory size is 2 gig, Garmin is ripping off its customers big time.

I also noticed this in the quest 2 specs:

140 MB supplemental map storage is available for downloading map detail from other MapSource products (U.S. versions only)

Which means that the memory size may be different for the two models (it's different for Quest -- 243 vs 115 MB). Of course European customers get ripped off no matter what, Garmin's EU wholesale prices are about 1.5-2 times higher than US ones, and distributors are forbidden from importing US units.

I keep noticing, on the Garmin page for the Quest 2 that they say:

The Quest 2 comes pre-loaded with City Select North America NT

If I were a betting man, I would bet that the "NT" makes that version of City Select smaller and different than the version you get on DVD/CD.

I bet it fits on less memory than the regular version you would purchase.

JMHO