My Geocaching Software, Tools, And Process

KodamaAndMrs

Hi all,

I was thinking it'd be fun to write up my own personal process for geocaching both to get comments and hints from more experienced geocachers as well as to possibly inform beginner geocachers who may be in a similar situation as I was several weeks ago when I was trying to figure everything out.

Take a look at my geocaching software, tools, and process page and give me comments!

Thanks,

KodamaAndMrs (Fred)

Your page has alot of really good info on it. I was thinking it would be nice to have a newbie guide too. I went on my first caching trip last weekend with my dad (he owns a GPSr). Came home and ordered my Garmin etrex basic on ebay Monday. It hasn't arrived in time for this weekend but when it gets here I'll be learning how to do the things you showed me. Thanks!

KodamaAndMrs,

That's a nice, well laid-out site. One suggestion though, is you don't need to use GPSBabel to convert the .LOC files for you. If you use EasyGPS or GSAK it's as simple as opening the .LOC file and uploading it to the GPS.

Using GSAK you can put some extra info into the screen of your GPS (but you'll need the .GPX file to do this). I don't know how much the 60 will hold but in my 60CS I have the waypoint name set to be the GC# of the cache (but I have GSAK strip off the GC since it's on every waypoint). When on the geocaching arrow screen, the "Note" option gives me:

• Name of cache
  • Difficulty/Terrain
  • Type of cache
  • Size of cache

So for my Columbia Cache, the Note field would say:

• COLUMBIACACHE 1.5/2 T R

This means the cache name is Columbia Cache (I have it set at a 17 character "smart name"), 1.5 Difficulty, 2 Terrain, Traditional Cache, Regular size (if it were micro it would say "M" instead of regular, virtual cache would be "V" for cache type instead of "T", etc.)

Hi all,

I was thinking it'd be fun to write up my own personal process for geocaching both to get comments and hints from more experienced geocachers as well as to possibly inform beginner geocachers who may be in a similar situation as I was several weeks ago when I was trying to figure everything out.

Take a look at my geocaching software, tools, and process page and give me comments!

Thanks,

KodamaAndMrs (Fred)

Hi Fred,

I looked at your page and found we share some of the same tools. Since I am new, I would greatly appreciate some guidance.

I have the Treo 650 and have used mobipocket reader and Easy GPS with success. I was unsuccessful using GSAK, Cachemate, and GPXspinner. One portion of each of those would not cooperate (crashing my computer).

I would love to use Cachemate since it gives difficulty rating of cache and terrain, etc.

Is the mobipocket and Treo your preferred combination?

thanks,

If GSAK was crashing your computer, it might have been a conflict with you virus scanning software.

GSAK is infinitely useful, as is Cachemate (if you have a Palm).

I cannot imagine trying to organize the hundreds of caches in this cache-rich area without GSAK on my PC and Cachemate on my Palm.

Good start. Here is one thing I do that seems a lot simpler to get waypoints inot my GPS.

I load LOC and GPX files directly into EasyGPS. That loads them into my GPS with no other steps. Load the file, load the GPS. Done.

This one I'm not sure about. The basemaps on both the 60 and 76 route. The 76 map is more detailed though. The 60C and CS both handle 1000 waypoints (I think 10,000 is a more reasonable number as there are well over 1000 in my caching territory. Probably about 4000.

That's a very nice visulization on Google Earth.

Yes, I do have a Palm platform device (Treo 650) that works with Mobipocket. I would prefer to get the details of difficulty, terrain, etc. but I am running into application chaos.

I have tried to load Cachemate, GPXspinner and Plucker. Non of the apps seem to work fully for me except Mobipocket.

I downloaded the GSAK 6.0 version and hoped it would work ok. The message I am getting from GSAK when I open it is TPerlRegEx_Compile() - Please specify a regular expression in RegEX first. I would enter a screenshot but I can't figure out how!

many thx for your help!

edited to remove typo

Edited by PurpleLover

Cachemate loads onto your Palm device like any other program. You load it from the desktop software. It is the best software I've ever bought for $8.00! :P

Which OS do you have on your computer? In a recent thread, Clyde, the author of GSAK, said it doesn't work very well on Windoze 98 or ME.

I have Win2K and GSAK works flawlessly.

What virus scanning software do you have on your computer? Does it do real-time scanning? That is another problem if the virus scanning software is scanning the folders GSAK is in.

Do a search, or peruse the big GSAK thread in the GPS and Software Forums. Clyde is there frequently and he will help you, if someone else doesn't come along first.

Which OS do you have on your computer? In a recent thread, Clyde, the author of GSAK, said it doesn't work very well on Windoze 98 or ME.

FWIW, I've been using GSAK on a Win98 machine since GSAK came out. No issues to report though I don't use all the functionality so there may be issues I've never encountered.

Yes, I do have a Palm platform device (Treo 650) that works with Mobipocket. I would prefer to get the details of difficulty, terrain, etc. but I am running into application chaos.

I have tried to load Cachemate, GPXspinner and Plucker. Non of the apps seem to work fully for me except Mobipocket.

I downloaded the GSAK 6.0 version and hoped it would work ok. The message I am getting from GSAK when I open it is TPerlRegEx_Compile() - Please specify a regular expression in RegEX first. I would enter a screenshot but I can't figure out how!

many thx for your help!

edited to remove typo

Download the latest relese 6.0.1 from http://gsak.net

If you still get the problem, let it email the error dump to me and I will sort out the problem.

If it won't email the error dump, then just email me a copy of your gsak.ini file which your will find in the install folder of GSAK

Yes, I do have a Palm platform device (Treo 650) that works with Mobipocket.  I would prefer to get the details of difficulty, terrain, etc. but I am running into application chaos.

I have tried to load Cachemate, GPXspinner and Plucker.  Non of the apps seem to work fully for me except Mobipocket.

I downloaded the GSAK 6.0 version and hoped it would work ok.  The message I am getting from GSAK when I open it is TPerlRegEx_Compile() - Please specify a regular expression in RegEX first.  I would enter a screenshot but I can't figure out how!

many thx for your help!

edited to remove typo

Download the latest relese 6.0.1 from http://gsak.net

If you still get the problem, let it email the error dump to me and I will sort out the problem.

If it won't email the error dump, then just email me a copy of your gsak.ini file which your will find in the install folder of GSAK

I am running W2K, McAfee.

I have downloaded version GSAK 6.0.1.15.

Clyde - you asked that I give you the error message, I can see you found it. A storm had our cable down for half the night.

I will try to send you the error file or the ini file.

thanks,

Cachemate loads onto your Palm device like any other program. You load it from the desktop software. It is the best software I've ever bought for $8.00! :)

What virus scanning software do you have on your computer? Does it do real-time scanning? That is another problem if the virus scanning software is scanning the folders GSAK is in.

Do a search, or peruse the big GSAK thread in the GPS and Software Forums. Clyde is there frequently and he will help you, if someone else doesn't come along first.

Cachemate is on my palm main memory and card - I can't get anything loaded into it.

I am using McAfee

As you can see, Clyde has already come to the rescue.

thanks to everyone - this is a great community!

I'm a Treo 650 user too. (with BT GPS) I try to consolidate everything into it since i do not want to have any paper or carry anything extra with me. This mean Navigation, Caching, Logging, recreation while caching (music), etc all being the same device.

All the software I use, and screenshots on my palm are listed here:

Treo Software (CacheMate, Cetus, TomTom Navigator)

My overly complex processes for such basic tasks:

Standard stuff:

* Get PQ emailed to me for top 5 locations I cache in, save them (since GSAK doesnt support IMAP4)

* Update databases in GSAK

* Filter out 4.5-5.0 Terrains usually

* Export to CacheMate

* Export to TomTom POI file

* Sync Treo 650 to PC

For trips (Caches on a route):

* Create PQ for every 75 miles along the trip.

* Take said GPX from PQs, and make a giant GPX in GSAK. Export it

* Use a script I made, enter in starting and end Zipcodes, X miles from highway to list, and the Big GPX file

It outputs the following:

- pruned GPX of all caches within X miles of the route,

- HTMLpage which is a google maplet that shows me all the caches

- TomTom POI file

- CacheMate PDB

Like GSAK, this is really just a bloated gpsbabel/makeov/XML & XSLT parsing system. But its easy. Ill be releasing it as opensource soon, once I simplify it down from needed a large CygWin install).

In the field:

* Kick off TomTom Navigator,

* Look at overhead view of the area in a map, turn on GeoCaching POI (points of interest) which shows me a yellow icon for each cache and where it is.

* Pick the Cache, click it, goto "Navigate to this location"

* Drive there, park, and hunt

* Then I kick off CacheMate, read the last 5-10 logs, sometimes the hint.

* ClickNAV (CacheNav) or CetusGPS, and get within 10-20 ft of the cache.

* Take a picture, Hunt for it, take more pictures

* Write a log note.

* Pepeat!

If I need new caches in the field,

* Goto Geocaching.com in Blazer web browser on Treo

* run query, save GPX file

* Email (VersaMail) or FTP (EzFTP) the script to my server

* Run webbased or shell based (pssh) gpsbabel on the script

* Download Cachemate file, and import.

* If this fails, I PalmVNC to my desktop, massage the data there, and email it to my Treo.

I have mobipocket, but really never use it. Checking the logs and hints CacheMate or on the website is easier and saves me alot of trouble and space.

The worst part about this is integrating my CacheMate notes back to GSAK or the website to write logs. There is no flow or real good process for it. Ill normally just leave shorthand in CacheMate, go home to the website, log it.

I blow away my CacheMate DBs daily and recreate them from a fresh GSAK export. If it had an "update" instead of duplicate feature this wouldnt be needed, but it was cheap and thats complex method to pull off on a Palm DB.

Technology has finally come of age. And I think devices like the Treo or *insert your cool gadget here* are amazing. But not everyone does, and many hate gadget talk, in the word's of "<SilentBob> I Don't Care". Feel free to ignore or pass this post by if you prefer to keep it simple or paper-based.

Make sure you do not keep CacheMate on the card. If you do use FileZ ir zLauncher, move the DBs before Syncing, and then back to card.

Edited by PhotoDuck

I blow away my CacheMate DBs daily and recreate them from a fresh GSAK export.  If it had an "update" instead of duplicate feature this wouldnt be needed, but it was cheap and thats complex method to pull off on a Palm DB.

All the software I use, and screenshots on my palm are listed here:

Treo Software (CacheMate, Cetus, TomTom Navigator)

Is CetusGPS List View similiar to Cachemate?

What is ClickNAV (CacheNav) I haven't registered Cachemate yet?

Make sure you do not keep CacheMate on the card.  If you do use FileZ ir zLauncher, move the DBs before Syncing, and then back to card.

I will remove Cachemate from the card. Treo has memory issues and I was trying to use my 512MB card and save the internal memory.

CetusGPS is a minimalist for caching. Basically just an arrow, and database of points, and itll track where ou have been.

NAV (CacheNav) is the GPS navigation plugin to CacheMate. You goto the cache entry in CacheMate, click the NAV button, itll autoload it into the navigation program. For when I want to do fast and easy finds or direction checks.

Snap-BF275EAE.gif

The problem with having a Card copy and a Internal copy of databases is that when you resync you databases, your internal will get wiped out, and be out of sync with the card copy.

Whats really handy is programs like zLauncher. It launches apps off the SD card, by copying it to memory. When you are done with it, it moves it back, freeing up internal memory. This is how I have so much stuff stored.

Just make sure you run "MOVE TO RAM" from zLauncher on CacheMate before you sync. And then MOVE TO CARD afterwards.

I just keep CacheMate and the DBs in ram most of the time. They are about 4-5meg. With the latest Cingular & Sprint Treo 650 upgrades, NVFS (non volatile file system) gained me more than that which was previously wasted.

Edited by PhotoDuck

This is all very amusing as I don't even know what most of this means! :) We've been caching for almost 2 years. We use an ETrex that we paid $75 for, a $1.99 WalMart compass when the need is there for one, and we sit at the computer and print our pages before we head out. I say all of this so anyone new realizes that there is no need to spend a ton of money or be technically savy to enjoy our sport. Look at this... I've been a member since 2003 and this is my first post!! :rolleyes:

See you on the trail! :)

I say all of this so anyone new realizes that there is no need to spend a ton of money or be technically savy to enjoy our sport.

I agree 100%, not that your way would work for many of us. At 100 caches in two years, you've taken what I would consider the only rational approach. I bite my tongue everytime someone with three finds and a join date of last week posts a question about how to download coordinates to a GPS, and six people immediately suggest a premium membership to get Pocket Queries and GSAK to manage it all. Sometimes these threads go even farther on a tangent into the world of paperless caching, when all the OP needed was a link to EasyGPS and some gentle instruction on how to use it.

But to use an analogy, always a risky business, being amused at someone owning a pickup, a bull dozer and an excavator when your volvo station wagon works just fine for going to the garden center begs the question of needs. When I got to 500 finds, I had three 3" binders full of printouts of found caches, and that doesn't include the printouts never used. That's represents more money spent on ink and paper than you spent on your etrex. I didn't go the cheapest paperless route by a long shot, yet I'd bet my capital cost per cache found is a little less than yours.

The bottom line: Diff'rent Srokes for Diff'rent folks.

edit: Oops. My post to find ratio has crept up past 25% again. I'd better get out and find some more caches.

Edited by blindleader

Hi all,

Thanks so much for your replies. I completely agree that all of this tech stuff is completely unneeded to enjoy geocaching. Just if you are so inclined, it can be fun and expedient to get a system working.

Based on the feedback here, I have tried a few more tools-- GSAK, plucker, and Cachemate. I will try caching with these over the next couple of weeks and update my page accordingly.

Based on first impressions, it looks like GSAK is a winner when it comes to PC-side cache database management with easy upload to GPSr. The only thing it's missing for me is geographic visualization. Would be neat if this had easy export to Google Earth.

As for Palm-side cache info, I think GSAK html export+Plucker is pretty cool (better than pocketqueries because it gives more interlinks and context (i.e. which caches you've already found,etc) , if a little hard to setup. Cachemate is easier to set up, but costs $8. (I'll have to buy GSAK anyway for the PC-side management.) Other advantages I can see to Cachemate are the logging capability (probably wouldn't use), GPSr integration (probably wouldn't use), and slightly better search facility (definitely would use.)

Thanks again to everyone for the replies!

Fred

As Google Earth accepts GPX files, you can generate a GPX file for it via File=>Export=>GPX

I see. True enough! Not sure if this is easily possible, but how about a "View selected in Google Earth" function?

I guess what I'm getting at is that one thing that MapSource has that's cool is the visualization along side the wapoint list. By the way, I figured out that the new version of MapSource supports gpx so even if one decides to use MapSource as an uploader/waypoint manager, GPSBabel is no longer necessary.

Given the overall management capabilities of GSAK, however, I probably will continue to use it. Let's see how it goes over the next few weeks.

Also, one more ask for GSAK: I'd really like active scrolling. (i.e. pull the thumb down or use the scroll wheel and the screen actively scrolls. Right now, the scroll wheel moves the selection down, but I'm not sure how useful that is. I can click to select. What's more important is to be able to quickly shoot down a long list and see where I am so I know when to stop scrolling. You have nice visual cues (i.e. the colored waypoint codes for found caches) so it'd be easy to stop scrolling at the right point even when going very quickly over a long list.)

Fred

Great Thread.

I have only been Geocaching since December, but I believe The Treo 650/Cachemate/GSAK combination is the easiest. I spent some time trying a eTrex, then started using my Treo -- GeoNiche, DeLorme Street Atlas (Which I bought with my BlueLogger BT GPS), and CetusGPS. I soon found Cachemate, and it is by far the handiest for logging, and sorting.

Here is what I found to be easiest...

I am a Premium Member, so I create pocket queries for the zip codes I know I will be traveling.

-I import them into the "default" database in GSAK.

-I either use the Distance Sorting functionality of GSAK, and the CacheRaid Macro (included with GSAK) to get all nearby caches. (It is a little quicker than CacheMate, but I use CacheMate for spot searching while on the road.)

-I create a database in CacheMate for the CacheRaid and give it a logical name. (For instance "FVPowerWalk")

-I Sync the entire default database (3000+) caches on my memory card (This allows me to do a "nearest" search anywhere I may end up in OC), and the Specific CacheRaid Databases (Usually 10-20 caches each) in main memory.

-I use CacheMate & CacheNAV (A free plug-in) to do my GeoCaching and Logging. When I find a cache I fill out the log info in CacheMate, and copy the cache record to a "found" database.

-When I get back to my PC. I sync my Treo. I use CM2GPX to convert my "found" Cachemate Database to GPX. I then import the gpx file back into GSAK (overwriting the previous entries.)

-Then I filter out everything but my finds for the day (A simple task with GSAK) & press the log button I assigned to the included LogCache macro...

-It brings up the Geocaching log page for the cache & copies my log from my database entry into the clipboard. I just choose found, hit CTRL-V, choose any travel bug info I need to, and hit submit.

-I can also log pictures I take with my Treo while caching within GSAK.

It might sound complicated, but after doing it a few times it is a breeze. I spend about a minute logging each cache. It's beautiful! I would much rather spend my time hiking and caching then trying to find the waypoints I visited, and then spend time in front of the computer typing.

If anyone is ever in OC on the weekends, and wants to do a cache run, lookup KnC on geocaching.com and shoot us an email. We love to get groups together to Cache, and Socialize. I can share my setup in more detail while we are using it. :huh:

KnC

Edited by KnC

Hi all,

--- stuff snipped for brevity ---

Based on first impressions, it looks like GSAK is a winner when it comes to PC-side cache database management with easy upload to GPSr. The only thing it's missing for me is geographic visualization. Would be neat if this had easy export to Google Earth.

--- stuff snipped for brevity ---

Thanks again to everyone for the replies!

Fred

Look at the Macro Section of GSAK's website. They have Macro's that automagically lauch Google Earth with the filtered Waypoints. It is truly Awesome! :huh:

KnC

This is all very amusing as I don't even know what most of this means! :huh: We've been caching for almost 2 years. We use an ETrex that we paid $75 for, a $1.99 WalMart compass when the need is there for one, and we sit at the computer and print our pages before we head out. I say all of this so anyone new realizes that there is no need to spend a ton of money or be technically savy to enjoy our sport. Look at this... I've been a member since 2003 and this is my first post!! :(

See you on the trail! :(

Good Point... I have a friend who does not even own a GPS yet, and he uses zoomed in google maps, and the cache pages to do his caching. :(

KnC

Nice job and a lot of work I am sure. One thing the author was bugged about was waiting for P. Q. to come back in your email.

I usually set the run date as the same day. I have never waited for more than a hour for them.

So you set up your query, go watch Desperate Wives and your ready to go.

And I have to throw in a simpler method as well. I have never seen the need to manipulate the caches and the data. You download 500 "not founds" (or more yes you can) And search out the ones that interest you and ignore the rest.

1. Obtain your Pocket Query

2. Process it with a little neat free program called gpx2html

3. A nifty easygps file will appear when done.. download those 500 caches to your gps receiver.

4. Another file is also there begging to be "converted to plucker" (also a free program)

5. Take that file and sync it to your Palm.

You now have 500 caches in your gps and descrip. logs, hints in your Palm.

Why make it hard?

(oh now you want to know how to get more than 500.? Just get another p.q. from another part of the state and place them both in the same folder as "gpx2html". It will process and combine them all while you read the paper.

wingryder

Edited by wingryder

Nice job and a lot of work I am sure. One thing the author was bugged about was waiting for P. Q. to come back in your email.

I usually set the run date as the same day. I have never waited for more than a hour for them.

And I have to throw in a simpler method as well. I have never seen the need to manipulate the caches and the data. You download 500 "not founds" (or more yes you can) And search out the ones that interest you and ignore the rest.

3. A nifty easygps file will appear when done.. download those 500 caches to your gps receiver.

4. Another file is also there begging to be "converted to plucker" (also a free program)

Why make it hard?

(oh now you want to know how to get more than 500.? Just get another p.q. from another part of the state and place them both in the same folder as "gpx2html". It will process and combine them all while you read the paper.

wingryder

Okay, now I am probably going to sound like I developed GSAK or something, but honestly, I just think that no other solution compares.

[K steps on to the soap box] B)

GSAK imports and exports to every GPS/File format I have ever used. gpx2html is a nice shell program, but it does not compare. I am fortunate enough to own a Treo, and CacheMate also, which allows for paperless logging, a GPS, and syncing to GSAK for Macro based logging to GC.com -- All in one device. Which I recommend as a "must do" for all palm device users. It makes for a more enjoyable experience.

GSAK has import from HTML or GPX (among many, many other formats) as well as syncs to Garmin, Magellan, and other devices (including palm OS based GPS software.). That is a very small part of what it does. It comes with GPSBabel, and provides the GUI for every file format that that software supports. The real beauty is the way it connects to Google Earth, GC.com, and virtually any site, or application via it's macro language (Of which there are many freely distributable macros right on the site, ready for download.). If you write your logs in GSAKs interface (or sync them from palm), you can append your pictures, add user notes, and hit the log button to automagically log your info on GC.com.

Like I said... it sounds complicated, but once you do it, you will never manage waypoints or logging any other way. It is just way too handy. And for those of us with Palm devices, and Cachemate... we go totally paperless, so no more smeared notes at the end of the day, and logging is amost nonexistent when we get home. :) Besides the cool factor is 10! B)

Am I convincing anyone? :)

[K steps off the Soapbox]

Sorry, I just can't stop from being amazed by GSAK. Everyone should be using this software. I hear they have an OS X version coming soon too. B)

KnC

Why make it hard?

wingryder

Okay, now I am probably going to sound like I developed GSAK or something, but honestly, I just think that no other solution compares.

[K steps on to the soap box] B)

GSAK imports and exports to every GPS/File format I have ever used. gpx2html is a nice shell program, but it does not compare. I am fortunate enough to own a Treo, and CacheMate also, which allows for paperless logging, a GPS, and syncing to GSAK for Macro based logging to GC.com -- All in one device. Which I recommend as a "must do" for all palm device users. It makes for a more enjoyable experience.

GSAK has import from HTML or GPX (among many, many other formats) as well as syncs to Garmin, Magellan, and other devices (including palm OS based GPS software.). That is a very small part of what it does. It comes with GPSBabel, and provides the GUI for every file format that that software supports. The real beauty is the way it connects to Google Earth, GC.com, and virtually any site, or application via it's macro language (Of which there are many freely distributable macros right on the site, ready for download.). If you write your logs in GSAKs interface (or sync them from palm), you can append your pictures, add user notes, and hit the log button to automagically log your info on GC.com.

Like I said... it sounds complicated, but once you do it, you will never manage waypoints or logging any other way. It is just way too handy. And for those of us with Palm devices, and Cachemate... we go totally paperless, so no more smeared notes at the end of the day, and logging is amost nonexistent when we get home. :) Besides the cool factor is 10! :)

Am I convincing anyone? B)

[K steps off the Soapbox]

Sorry, I just can't stop from being amazed by GSAK. Everyone should be using this software. I hear they have an OS X version coming soon too. B)

KnC

I live in a rural area near a very cache-rich metropolitan area. In order to "capture" all the caches in the areas I might be driving through, I need several PQ's. I have well over 500 in my GSAK database.

My GPSr only holds 500 waypoints, and I have some other waypoints I keep on the GPSr all the time, so I can only load 450 caches or so.

Using GSAK, I can filter around a specific waypoint, or filter around the route I am traveling into the city.

From opening the .zip file in GSAK and doing a couple of filters (for Last 2 DNFs, and the distance), it doesn't take more than a couple of minutes to put the waypoints in my GPSr and Export the info to put into Cachemate on my Palm.

Here is a little tutorial showing the rudimentary way I use GSAK. B)

GSAK and Cachemate are the only two programs I need now. Before I discovered them, I needed four or five different programs to accomplish the same tasks.

Thanks for the instructions. I love the geocashing, ( went a few times with a friend) now I have my own and want to download waypoints. There are no directions anywhere!

So I'm working my way through the file format, garmin mapsource etc. I'm not so much a computer so it's a bit overwhelming.

I think this weekend might be manual waypoint entry....

Allison

Hi all,

Thanks,

KodamaAndMrs (Fred)

Well Knc... I like my little "shell" program that "just doesn't compare" I take 500 caches with all the information available about them... There just might be some cachers that also like simple and fast.

wingryder

True, True. Don't take it personal... When I find something I like, I can show a lot of zeal at times. I didn't mean to be condescending or anything. I was just trying to point out that GPX to HTML conversion was a very small part of GSAK, so users could do what the shell script does plus a lot more. :wub:

Peace

KnC

Hi all,

Thanks,

KodamaAndMrs (Fred)

I went through all of the info supplied - a couple of times. I'm a Palm and CacheMate user. Was thinking of going the MobiPocket route, but don't see an option to get a file out of Pocket Queries in a format that will work with the reader.

Is it just a brain burp on my part, or what?

Hi all,

Thanks,

KodamaAndMrs (Fred)

Thank you, good info. One little critic though, my browser doesn't display the picture of your Garmin, I get a little red x.

I'm new to the sport and have been fighting with some of this stuff. I'm using an old Garmin 12 XL that I bought long before selective availability was turned off.

I have two PCs, my WinXP machine has USB only, my Win98SE machine has legacy RS-232 serial that my Garmin likes. I bought one of those USB to Serial converter cables and it works with my Garmin but not the software so, I'm geocaching on the Win98SE machine.

I’ve been using EasyGPS, the old unsupported Win98 version, with good results. I’m not yet a premium member, but if I keep this up I think that I will have to upgrade. I’d like to move to paperless and pocket queries. I’ve only found 91 caches to date and the paper used fills a binder. I have a Dell Axim PocketPC and intend to bring it into the game someday. I need to spend a little time tracking down how to do that.

I went through all of the info supplied - a couple of times. I'm a Palm and CacheMate user. Was thinking of going the MobiPocket route, but don't see an option to get a file out of Pocket Queries in a format that will work with the reader.

Is it just a brain burp on my part, or what?

Use GSAK as described on the original posters page and use the "Mobi" macro. Once you have imported the PQ download into a GSAK database you can run the macro to convert the data into a .mobi file. You'll then just need a mobipocket reader application on your Palm. I use it on my Blackberry and it's a bit slow sometimes but works well. It not only gives you complete listings (including the five most recent logs and decrypted hint) but it also produces several indexes that allow you to find caches by name, owner, distance from a home location, and proximity. For each listing it will show the five nearest caches.

Hi all,

Thanks,

KodamaAndMrs (Fred)

Thanks for the info. I am really, really new at this. I have plans to find my first cache this week. I don't have a printer at home so if I do get hooked on this I will have to go the paperless route with my Treo to save money. I bookmarked your page for future reference.

Thanks for this useful compilation.

I've just become interested in Geocaching, having bought a Bluetooth GPS receiver.

With this I can connect my Palm Lifedrive to the GPS system, save waypoints, get directions (as yet no "live" mapping) and hope to start Geocaching in a while.

The GPS also works with my Pocket PC - an old Windows CE machine (iMate) so I'm trying to evaluate which one would be more efficient as a companion...

Maybe I'll update this later after a few tries!