Forum Etiquette

TotemLake

What is the suggested forum etiquette?

There’s no excuse for bad manners or behavior. You’re not in a school yard trying to be cool. You’re not the tough guy pushing your way through a crowd. Even though some of this is covered in here, some folks really don’t understand the underpinnings of forum etiquette, or as it is more commonly known, netiquette. It is a long standing practice of any forum since the inception of billboards on the network to correct newbies of their ill manners and rude behavior. The newbies don’t understand this and take offense; considering these peers to be bullies and meanies.

Peanut gallery aside, I suggest practicing the following etiquette to help you and others make the most of any forum:

• Before posting your question, search the forum. Your question or comment may have already been discussed, answered, or resolved… several times.
  • Create a concise subject that adequately summarizes your topic. For example: "Ideas on customizing the discussion template?"
  • Be patient. All the participants of this forum are participating in discussions on their own time, and sometimes answers will not be instantaneously provided.
  • Do not use all capital letters, excessive question marks (?) or exclamation points (!) in your subject or content. Although perfection is not expected; proper punctuation, correct grammar and correct spelling is important enough for others to be able to read without difficulty. Using all capital letters is considered yelling and is hard to read. Ignoring this guideline will net you fast criticism.
  • Increase the likelihood of starting a discussion by providing details in your comment or question, and by choosing a relevant forum to post your topic. Cross-posting the same topic to other forums is bad form.
  • Help others. The forum is a community, and works best when people share information.
  • Give feedback. If someone helps you by answering your question, try to add a follow-up response letting them know if it worked or not.
  • Forum etiquette doesn’t do away with flaming. Flaming is a long standing tradition of forum debate. If you can’t handle the heat, be careful how you post or be prepared to defend your post. People aren’t trying to be mean or be a bully, but they will challenge your way of thinking.

Some specific points not otherwise covered:

• Old timers welcome newcomers. Do not chastise them for not reading the forum etiquette. Make them feel welcome in the community.
  • Newcomers, expect to stumble. Lurk before you leap into any discussion so you will gain a feel for what is expected in response. You’re not in a library. The forums can be a rough place to be in if you’re not ready. If subtle hints aren’t picked up on, you may receive an in-your-face criticism. Make use of the emoticons to help convey the tone of your post.
  • Everybody, remember there are people participating. Post as if you were in a face-to-face discussion and treat them as you will have them treat you. If you always yell, you will be treated accordingly. If you speak badly, you may receive an inadequate response. If you can’t spell, take advantage of the auto-spelling in your document processor to help you with your post. Making minor errors isn’t the issue here; it’s blatantly bad spelling, poor punctuation, bad grammar and use of all capital letters that has potential to quickly cause problems.

Your comments on this subject are welcome. If you have criticisms of someone’s behavior, this isn’t the place for it, post a new thread.

Excellent post. Thank you, TL. This nicely complements the Forum Guidelines, which are linked at the top left corner of every forum page, but which don't deal with the nuances of etiquette that are largely driven by the forum community, rather than the moderating team.

The "Getting Started" forum moderators might choose in the future to pin this thread, or to copy your text into the FAQ thread with proper attribution.

BUT WHAT IF I'M VERY, VERY EXCITED WHEN I POST?!?!?!!!!

CAN'T I USE ALL CAPS THEN?!??!!!!

What if I just make it very, very hard to read?

:D

Seriously - a good post. I'll let a few more comment on it, and then as a Getting Started Mod, I may just have to pin the post. As a separate pinned and locked post, it will be more likely to be seen than buried in an FAQ.

Then again - once it's pinned, no one will see it.

:ph34r:

Edited by Markwell

I think this bullet covers that.

Forum etiquette doesn’t do away with flaming. Flaming is a long standing tradition of forum debate. If you can’t handle the heat, be careful how you post or be prepared to defend your post. People aren’t trying to be mean or be a bully, but they will challenge your way of thinking.

I may be missing the intent of your post, but no matter what happens or how you post it, someone may challenge your post. Be prepared to defend yourself or don't post it in the first place.

[*]Forum etiquette doesn’t do away with flaming. Flaming is a long standing tradition of forum debate. If you can’t handle the heat, be careful how you post or be prepared to defend your post.

The way I understand the term Flaming I disagree that it is a valid/acceptable practice. The way I see the term used it refers to mean-spirited, insulting, ad hominem exchanges/remarks. As a minimum it means angry tone. I believe people can rebut, challenge, dispute others civilly, without resorting to personal attacks, sarcasm and put-downs, and the latter are the meaning I have always associated with Flaming.

And now for something different.

To add to your other remarks, I have always felt the members here try to be particularly considerate of newcomers. I do. They have entered an new and bewildering world. I found this website poorly organized when I arrived with information scattered hither, thither and yon. To expect a newcomer to have read everything on the site before asking a question is not reasonable. In my opinion newcomers should be given wide latitude when asking questions "everybody knows" or is available in some FAQ or the other.

Edited by Thot
he way I understand the term Flaming I disagree that it is a valid/acceptable practice. The way I see the term used it refers to mean-spirited, insulting, ad hominem exchanges/remarks. As a minimum it means angry tone. I believe people can rebut, challenge, dispute others civilly, without resorting to personal attacks, sarcasm and put-downs, and the latter are the meaning I have always associated with Flaming.

You do and so do the most of us, however many people are very sensitive and look at any debate or criticism as "flaming".

And the term Hacker used to be a complimentary description before it became a slur for criminal activity.

The term Flaming goes back to when arguments and debates were emotional opinions regardless of whether they were based on fact or fiction, but had nothing to do with being mean-spirited, insulting, ad hominem exchanges/remarks, and some debates did involve anger, but it was never in a mean-spirited tone. There is a difference.

My definition in this basis of netiquette has nothing to do with being mean-spirited. There will be emotional debates. This is not a bad thing. As peers to the forum it is not only your right, but your responsibility to call to carpet anything that goes over the top. But don't dismiss emotional debates (Flaming) as an unacceptable form of argument. Some opinions will be so wrapped up in emotion that it can't be easily separated, but there is a line that can be crossed that goes beyond simple debates. It is there when people degenerate to name calling and personal attacks. That's a different form of Flaming that cannot be socially acceptable, just like the criminal form of hacking today is not socially acceptable.

My issue is with the first "bullet point" in the OP.

From the front forum page, under the "Getting Started" forum link, the text says:

New to the game? Feel free to ask questions here. We're glad to help!

*emphasis added by me*

Maybe it should say, "Feel free to come here and search for answers to your questions that have been asked several times already." :D

If there is going to be a "Getting Started" forum, there are going to be people asking questions before they search for the information they want. That's why people come to forums, to ask questions.

If there is going to be a "Getting Started" forum, there are going to be people asking questions before they search for the information they want. That's why people come to forums, to ask questions.

I agree. And any old-timers who don't want to be bothered answering newbie questions need not hang out in the Getting Started forum.

I find the OP to be condescending and pompous.

Interesting. Labeling without providing a suggestion is no solution to the problem.

Before I posted the OP, I researched a couple dozen sites and chose the best of their forum etiquette policies, discarding those that didn't apply. If changing the wording to suit this particular arena will satisfy the need without appearing pompous or condescending, I'm all for it.

Here's a challenge for you.

If you can come up with a better idea that resolves the issues the OP addresses, I'm all for it. The newbs are coming on board with no idea what the proper forum etiquette is and some of the old timers have forgotten... or became apathetic to it, allowing it to percolate into an unreasonable issue that people are getting their noses bent out of shape at the merest suggestion to correct it.

I might add the problem doesn't reside in just the Getting Started forum. I placed the OP here because it was the best suited forum to post it. (bullet 5)

Edited by TotemLake

I might add the problem doesn't reside in just the Getting Started forum. I placed the OP here because it was the best suited forum to post it. (bullet 5)

I appreciate knowing that.

I assumed, and that was wrong of me, that you were expecting first time posters to have reviewed your list prior to posting here.

My bad.

I appreciate knowing that.

I assumed, and that was wrong of me, that you were expecting first time posters to have reviewed your list prior to posting here.

My bad.

No problem. These kinds of things need to be hashed out to have the best overall effect for everybody involved. My observation is the problem has steadily become worse and instead of going ooops, the typical accidentally offending poster has no idea and has not had the opportunity to develop a thick enough skin to understand from which direction the correction really is coming from and takes offense to the suggestion.

It's like stepping into a bar. The environment can be very friendly with the ability to turn aggressive if certain protocols aren't followed. A user can find themselves given the bum's rush without ever knowing why. The bar begins to gain a reputation as a place to avoid. Writing in an expectation of etiquette takes the corrective steps to preclude that reputation.

My experience is more than half the newbs will read first before posting. So, if this resolves even 15% (as an arbitrary number) of the problems, then it is a step in the right direction.

Fwiw, the Getting Started Forum is strictly that. For getting started. This is where the repetitious questions get asked and that isn't a problem because that's what it was designed for. My hat's off to the folks that moderate and answer those on a daily basis.

I find the OP to be condescending and pompous.

Interesting. Labeling without providing a suggestion is no solution to the problem.

Before I posted the OP, I researched a couple dozen sites and chose the best of their forum etiquette policies, discarding those that didn't apply. If changing the wording to suit this particular arena will satisfy the need without appearing pompous or condescending, I'm all for it.

Here's a challenge for you.

I do not acknowledge that a problem exists. In a community as diverse as ours, there will be some friction. It's to be expected.

If a statement of etiquette is really necessary (which I doubt), it should not sound like a junior high school assistant principal upbraiding a bunch of bratty kids.

And see there's part of the problem I've addressed. You are apathetic to an addressed issue. You are content to armchair criticize without providing a path to a solution.

I easily saw the solution. It is a simple fix. I was wondering if you would show your true colors and you did.

=-=-Edited to add=-=-

Actually... in re-reading your statement, your solution is to remove the opening statement. Is that what would make you content?

Edited by TotemLake
And see there's part of the problem I've addressed. You are apathetic to an addressed issue. You are content to armchair criticize without providing a path to a solution.

I easily saw the solution. It is a simple fix. I was wondering if you would show your true colors and you did.

I am not apathetic. As I have stated twice, I do not believe there is a problem that needs to fixed. Those who would pay heed to a code of etiquette are not the ones who tend to give offense. And those who tend to give offense are not the sort to heed the creed.

I have faith in my fellow forum denizens, and I take less offense at the occasional breach of etiquette than I do at gratuitous, pedantic bloviating.

Wow! A heated discussion going on in the Forum Etiquette thread! :P Who woulda thunk it?

Kind of like watching a slap fight, though. No barstools being broken over anybody's back, no bottles being smash over heads, nobody being thrown out of the big plate glass window out front. So I'm comfortable watching from a booth in the back for now.

Um, so anyway, I thought TotemLake's original post was a good one. But I also thought that reveritt made a good point:

Those who would pay heed to a code of etiquette are not the ones who tend to give offense.

Well, what do I know about any of this? I had to look up pedantic and bloviating.

Carry on.

edit: fixed broken quote

Edited by cache_test_dummies
Yes but he makes assumptions everybody knows what the creed is.

Well, I don't know what assumptions anybody is making. I myself was unaware of a forum 'creed'. I just think of this stuff as falling into the general category of manners. There are people who've got 'em, and people who don't.

Oh, and people who've got 'em, but forget sometimes to use 'em. Me for example. :P

There are new people coming onboard all the time whom have no idea what the code of etiquette is, and the written word serves to provide that.

Yeah, there are probably people who could benefit from this. I'll go along with that. I don't have a problem with providing some information about the general way to play nicely in the forums.

There are new people coming onboard all the time whom have no idea what the code of etiquette is....

Bingo. We have to keep in mind too that many of the new people here are new to message boards in general. What is proper netiquette may be understood by most, but certainly not all. That's why I am in favor of your original post.

Just a couple of days ago a thread got out of hand because someone asserted that a post was difficult to read because of the all caps and extremely poor punctuation, and the OP got extremely defensive. I don't think the post was out of line, but the OP's reaction to it made things worse. Others jumped in and things escalated. That person left in a huff under the impression everyone on these forums were jerks. I wish your post on Forum Etiquette had been there before that happened. If they had read that they would understand better that they weren't being personally attacked.

I was wondering how long it would take some to raise the 'we don't need no stinkin' creed' song. It's deja vu all over again.

I personally applaud the OP, and his effort to encourage a dialog to develop consensus on some rules of etiquette. But then again, as my sig line says, I support The Geocachers' Creed.

Edit:

A debate ensued over the need for and wisdom of having a Creed. The prevailing view that emerged is that creeds or codes of ethics define accepted (and unacceptable) behaviors; promote high standards of practice; and provide a benchmark for members to use for self-evaluation. Of course, promoting high standards does not mean that everyone will follow them, but when others fail to follow the Creed, it serves as a baseline against which their behavior can be measured with some objectivity. You can use the Creed to help determine whether actions you plan to take are consistent with the spirit of the game.

The need for special ethical principles in an organized activity is the same as the need for ethical principles in society as a whole. They are mutually beneficial. They help make our relationships mutually pleasant and productive. Geocaching is a voluntary, cooperative enterprise. Those who are asked to follow a code of ethics are also those who benefit from the conformity of others. Each has a stake in maintaining general compliance, and an established Creed will reduce conflict among geocachers and between geocachers and others (e.g. landowners).

A code of ethics must be compatible with our common morality, but it goes beyond our common morality. You could say that the code interprets our common morality for the specific details of geocaching.

Edited by Sputnik 57
Before I posted the OP, I researched a couple dozen sites and chose the best of their forum etiquette policies, discarding those that didn't apply.

In researching guidelines that way you are likely to find rules that apply to ordinary forums, with reasonably experienced members, such as Geocaching Topics. I'm not sure rules that should apply to experienced posters are appropriate for rank beginners. If the rules proposed are intended for regular members, perhaps Getting Started isn't the best place to post them. If they are intended only for newbies perhaps the sources you used aren't the most appropriate.

When I saw your post I didn't understand why you had chosen this moment to do it. I don't always follow this group closely and assumed there had been an incident that prompted it, but a PM question to another member didn't indicate this was so.

I don't support reveritt's way of expressing it, but I didn't realize there was a growing problem that needs fixing either. It's not clear how random new players can cause a growing problem. Regulars members could create such a situation but not random strangers, unless society itself is changing. If this forum needs etiquette rules for newbies I suggest the only rule needed is some version of "Play nice".

The rule for regulars should be "Play nice, be tolerant of repetitious questions and of a few ruffled feathers on anxious/uncertain newbies.

[*] Although perfection is not expected; proper punctuation, correct grammar and correct spelling is important enough for others to be able to read without difficulty.

I do not feel that this should be part of a forum etiquette in forums where there are people around who have to write in a foreign language. In particular, proper punctuation is a very strong requirement - I have to admit that even in my native language I commit punctuation mistakes from time to time.

Cezanne

Before I posted the OP, I researched a couple dozen sites and chose the best of their forum etiquette policies, discarding those that didn't apply.

In researching guidelines that way you are likely to find rules that apply to ordinary forums, with reasonably experienced members, such as Geocaching Topics. I'm not sure rules that should apply to experienced posters are

Edited for brevity - TL

Actually, they do apply more than you would believe as they have stayed relatively universal through the last 17 years that I've been chatting. They are basic guidelines to act as reminders for the experienced and inexperienced.

There has been a growing number of posts that start "I'm new to this forum...etc." and the post is all typed in uppercase, not just in Getting Started, but in the general and regional forums as well.

The incident a couple days back where it wasn't understood why someone would nudge another about the caps and punctuation is only one of many, but the remark at the end about the people doing the nudging were being bullies and meanies was a perception that most of us tried to avoid when trying to explain the issue. As you see, three separate perceptions and no guidelines to judge by. (Thanks sputnik for the ethics thread).

QUOTE (TotemLake @ Aug 31 2005, 09:39 PM)

[*] Although perfection is not expected; proper punctuation, correct grammar and correct spelling is important enough for others to be able to read without difficulty. 

I do not feel that this should be part of a forum etiquette in forums where there are people around who have to write in a foreign language. In particular, proper punctuation is a very strong requirement - I have to admit that even in my native language I commit punctuation mistakes from time to time.

Cezanne 

I disagree. I see most non-english speaking folks try to apply proper punctuation and grammar where they can and apologize where they can't and truthfully, the problem is not with them, but the people born and raised in an English speaking country.

Making minor errors isn’t the issue here; it’s blatantly bad spelling, poor punctuation, bad grammar and use of all capital letters that has potential to quickly cause problems.
Yes but he makes assumptions everybody knows what the creed is.

Well, I don't know what assumptions anybody is making. I myself was unaware of a forum 'creed'. I just think of this stuff as falling into the general category of manners. There are people who've got 'em, and people who don't.

Oh, and people who've got 'em, but forget sometimes to use 'em. Me for example. :P ...

My choice of the word "creed" in a previous post was unfortunate. I chose it to rhyme with "heed", forgetting the history that "creed" has in this forum.

My only assumption here is that we are all adults, and deserve to be treated as such. I really don't thiink we need to lecture people about punctuation and spelling.

And could this possibly be any more condescending:

Newcomers, expect to stumble. Lurk before you leap into any discussion so you will gain a feel for what is expected in response. You’re not in a library. The forums can be a rough place to be in if you’re not ready.

I believe that the existing Forum Guidelines are appropriate in tone and content. Anyone who comes to the forums equipped with even average intelligence and manners will do just fine without a lecture in elocution and deportment.

I see most non-english speaking folks try to apply proper punctuation and grammar where they can and apologize where they can't and truthfully, the problem is not with them, but the people born and raised in an English speaking country.

Also, in specific regard to spelling, punctuation, and grammar mistakes, it has been my experience that (in these forums, anyway) there seems to be a greater degree of tolerance for posts from people whose native language is not English than posts from those whose first language is English.

I think there is some built-in respect for those trying to communicate in the language of the 'host' country, but less tolerance for those who appear to from an English speaking country but don't appear to be making an effort to communicate clearly.

Also, in specific regard to spelling, punctuation, and grammar mistakes, it has been my experience that (in these forums, anyway) there seems to be a greater degree of tolerance for posts from people whose native language is not English than posts from those whose first language is English.

I fully agree with you. It was not at all my intention to complain about a lack of tolerance in this forum. I just felt that the wording used by the original poster was unfortunate. It might discourage non-native speakers of English even further as participation in the English speaking subforums is regarded.

Cezanne

Making minor errors isn’t the issue here; it’s blatantly bad spelling, poor punctuation, bad grammar and use of all capital letters that has potential to quickly cause problems.

I cannot see a link between writing everything in capital letters and using proper grammar, spelling and punctuation. The first requirement is easy to fulfill (and I agree with adding it to some sort of forum etiquette), but not the second one. I have to admit that I sometimes write a posting in French although I am perfectly aware that my French is weak and that I make mistakes that cannot be considered as minor ones. Fortunately, the francophone readers have so far never complained.

Cezanne

[*]Forum etiquette doesn’t do away with flaming. Flaming is a long standing tradition of forum debate. If you can’t handle the heat, be careful how you post or be prepared to defend your post. People aren’t trying to be mean or be a bully, but they will challenge your way of thinking.

From the Groundspeak Forum Guidelines that you linked to (emphasis added):

Personal Attacks and Flames will not be tolerated. If you want to praise or criticize, give examples as to why it is good or bad, general attacks on a person or idea will not be tolerated.

I understand the distinction you made above, but your statement that forum etiquette doesn't do away with flaming contradicts the wording of the Groundspeak guidelines. It's open to misinterpretation - as you noted, flaming means different things to different people. It would be better to avoid the jargon and say what you mean, especially if you're targeting an audience with little online forum experience with that statement.

I applaud your effort to promote civility in the forums. One other point you might add: When merely entering the forums raises your blood pressure, it's time to take a break from the forums. :P

Edit: correct a grammatical error. Geez...

Edited by Kai Team
<snip>Peanut gallery aside<snip>

By this do you mean that those in the peanut gallery do not need to adhere to netiquette or as a general rule that they just don't adhere to it? :P

As someone who occasionally sits in that section of the seats I am just wondering how to take it. :P

BTW: I do think that sometimes the peanut gallery does serve a useful purpose by letting a little levity enter into these (and other) forums, levity that often softens and blunts some of the harsher stuff that can go on. :P

A good point made. The final product can have that term replaced with something different.

Oooh, we have a "final product" to look forward to. That's cool. We all learn from collaborative efforts. Unfortunately the forum software will only allow Totem Lake to edit his original post for a brief period of time. Therefore, I'd like to offer him the opportunity to rewrite the "final product" and then I will briefly unlock the FAQ topic so that he can post it there with proper recognition as the author/editor.

As an aside to this post...I see that posts are now (always have been?) edited by the software...

I typed the word 'd@mn' in a post and it ended up 'dadgum' in the printed text... :P

Simple solution to remove your angry frownie: don't say "d@mn." Other cuss words are replaced with asterisks. Don't use those as an excuse to justify using the language. We all know what you're saying behind the asterisk, including my 11 year old daughter.