Gc.com Tries To Muggleproof The Listings?

geognerd

Hmm, just went onto geocaching.com to look at some caches without logging in first. Underneath the cache name, it says "You must be logged in to view the Location Information for this Cache. It's free!"

I wonder if this is an attempt to prevent muggles from looking up coordinates and then going out to trash a cache. But then again they could just sign up for a free account or download the .loc file and get the coordinates anyway.

Just tried loading the network kml and got the following message when opening Google Earth.

Fetch of NetworkLink "Geocaching Network KML" failed

Http: Forbidden

Anybody else have this happen? I downloaded the kml to my desktop and then just opened it. Was I supposed to do something more?

Glad to see this feature, BTW - great job Jeremy and staff!!

I really like the changes for the most part. One thing I notice though... the "# users wathcing this cache" is now gone. :D

Maybe I'll just have to get used to the new order of items on the right column of My Cache Page, but for now the list seems to run together into a big list of items that have little in common with each other, other than the fact that they all belong on the My Cache Page. I would reccomend moving My Inventory up in the list and moving the Google features farther down, since I would imagine that the Google links would be used less frequently. Also, where did the list of items awaiting approval go? Does it only appear when I actually have something in the queue?

Just noticed a user limitation not mentioned (I didn't see it anyway) on the "About Google Earth KML" link on GC.com.

It appears you have a daily limit on the number of "views" each day. Each time you scroll you use up a "view". I didn't noticed it until I was down to ONLY 190 views left today! :D For the average user 200 or so "views" per day will be more than adequate. However, if you're worried about the limit you should just uncheck the GE folder called Geocache Name while scrolling and zooming into your area of interest, then turning it back on once you're ready.

One more question: I really like the new section below the TB list on cache pages that shows all bookmark lists that a given cache appears in. Great way to tell if I've already bookmarked a listing and if so, what list(s) it's in. But I notice that "by DavidMac" appears below each bookmark listed in the column. Will this section only show my bookmarks, or will it show other members' bookmark lists that the cache appears in? If it only shows my bookmarks, then I'm not sure the "by..." line is really necessary as it takes up extra space.

I really like the changes for the most part. One thing I notice though... the "# users wathcing this cache" is now gone. :D

On the pages I checked out it still says "you are 1 of x users watching this cache"

You're right. I went back, refreshed the page, and it showed up. Must have caught it just at the wrong moment.

One more question: I really like the new section below the TB list on cache pages that shows all bookmark lists that a given cache appears in. Great way to tell if I've already bookmarked a listing and if so, what list(s) it's in. But I notice that "by DavidMac" appears below each bookmark listed in the column. Will this section only show my bookmarks, or will it show other members' bookmark lists that the cache appears in? If it only shows my bookmarks, then I'm not sure the "by..." line is really necessary as it takes up extra space.

I'm really hoping that the "by" portion doesn't show up for anyone other than the owner of the bookmark list, unless, of course, they've opened it up for sharing. So far we have only 1 cache on our ignore list and when I visit that cache page it shows that it is on our bookmark list named "Ignore". I wouldn't want the cache owner to see that. We've ignored for a personal preference reason, not something that the owner would really need to know.

Mrs. Car54

Ya Awsome changes.  The not being able to see coords without logging in is a big FAT PAIN IN THE BUTT.

If automatic log in worked it might not be so bad.

Do you have your machine set up to accept cookies from gc.com?

Do you have the 'remember me' box checked?

I never have to log in, unless I have cleared out my cookie box.

I'm really hoping that the "by" portion doesn't show up for anyone other than the owner of the bookmark list, unless, of course, they've opened it up for sharing.  So far we have only 1 cache on our ignore list and when I visit that cache page it shows that it is on our bookmark list named "Ignore".  I wouldn't want the cache owner to see that.  We've ignored for a personal preference reason, not something that the owner would really need to know.

Mrs. Car54

After logging out, the bookmark section disappears from the page altogether. I have yet to see another user's bookmark list appear in the list, even on a few very popular caches, so my guess is that it only shows your lists to you when you are logged in. I'm at work right now and don't have the password to another account with me (our club account, not a sockpuppet :D ), so I can't log in under another username to see what happens.

Edited by DavidMac
I'm really hoping that the "by" portion doesn't show up for anyone other than the owner of the bookmark list, unless, of course, they've opened it up for sharing.  So far we have only 1 cache on our ignore list and when I visit that cache page it shows that it is on our bookmark list named "Ignore".  I wouldn't want the cache owner to see that.  We've ignored for a personal preference reason, not something that the owner would really need to know.

Mrs. Car54

After logging out, the bookmark section disappears from the page altogether. I have yet to see another user's bookmark list appear in the list, even on a few very popular caches, so my guess is that it only shows your lists to you when you are logged in. I'm at work right now and don't have the password to another account with me (our club account, not a sockpuppet :ph34r: ), so I can't log in under another username to see what happens.

To see the new feature in its full glory, click on the link in my tagline below for "The Leprechauns' Top 5% Greatest Cache Hunts." I have made this a "public" and "shared" list, so that everyone can see the caches which appear on the list. So, click on a few of the caches I've featured. A good example is the Ebey Bluffs cache, which also appears on the "Best Caches" list of several other geocachers. After three bookmark lists, you'll see a link to a page that includes all of the lists mentioning the cache. The lists with the highest user ratings are listed first.

EDIT: Following my own advice, I clicked on the Ebey Bluffs "more bookmarks" link and I am seeing a list of bookmark lists that have NOT been coded as public (because other caches that appear on those same lists do NOT contain links to those bookmark lists). That is a bad thing.

Edited by The Leprechauns
That is one benefit, but it has also been designed to combat the increased scraping abuse that we've had on the web site.

This is my favorite new feature, coords and maps only available to logged in members. I see the intention of this fix wasn't the issue I've always had, but trust me, there are thousands of befuddled knuckleheads out there today who just look caches up on the internet, find them, and only sign the logbooks, never log online. There are loads of these people in my area. For example, I have a cache only listed on Navicache, which had only four logged finders. But on my last maintenance visit a couple of weeks ago, there were three additional finders in the paper log. These non-online loggers contribute nothing to the hobby, as they never hide caches for others to find, and they are usually behind missing TB's.

Of course they can just create an account, and only use if for the purpose of looking up caches :ph34r:

I'm really hoping that the "by" portion doesn't show up for anyone other than the owner of the bookmark list, unless, of course, they've opened it up for sharing. So far we have only 1 cache on our ignore list and when I visit that cache page it shows that it is on our bookmark list named "Ignore". I wouldn't want the cache owner to see that. We've ignored for a personal preference reason, not something that the owner would really need to know.

Mrs. Car54

My ignore list (aka lame micro list) is simply not a "shared" bookmark list.

Mrs. Car54

After logging out, the bookmark section disappears from the page altogether. I have yet to see another user's bookmark list appear in the list, even on a few very popular caches, so my guess is that it only shows your lists to you when you are logged in. I'm at work right now and don't have the password to another account with me (our club account, not a sockpuppet :ph34r: ), so I can't log in under another username to see what happens.

To see the new feature in its full glory, click on the link in my tagline below for "The Leprechauns' Top 5% Greatest Cache Hunts." I have made this a "public" and "shared" list, so that everyone can see the caches which appear on the list. So, click on a few of the caches I've featured. A good example is the Ebey Bluffs cache, which also appears on the "Best Caches" list of several other geocachers. After three bookmark lists, you'll see a link to a page that includes all of the lists mentioning the cache. The lists with the highest user ratings are listed first.

EDIT: Following my own advice, I clicked on the Ebey Bluffs "more bookmarks" link and I am seeing a list of bookmark lists that have NOT been coded as public (because other caches that appear on those same lists do NOT contain links to those bookmark lists). That is a bad thing.

Fear not! I saw my "not shared" ignore list showing up on a cache listing while I was logged in. But then I quickly logged out, and logged in with a sock puppet account (yes, I suppose that's a public admission of having a sock puppet account; it's for a mascot, give me a break). Anyways, TheWhiteUrkel's not shared ignore list was not seen by another logged in user.

How to abuse your (public & shared) bookmark lists:

- My bottom 10 caches

- My solved puzzle caches, annotated with coords.

B)

Yep, I believe it is only a matter of time before we see this new feature abused, as others have been abused. Instead of seeing links to "nice" bookmark lists like "The Leprechauns' Top 5% Greatest Cache Hunts," we will see what you described. The only solution I can think of is to rate the "good" lists "thumbs-up" and to downgrade the "bad" lists. I understand from TPTB that the "good" lists will be listed first on the cache page, perhaps then relegating the "bad" bookmark lists to a separate page after the three-list maximum is hit.

Hey! What's wrong with a "Sissy-n-CR's Must Miss Cache List" and why is that "abuse?"

Actually, I started this post being facetious, but then I saw the irony of the encouraging of folks to vote down lists that point out those caches that one might thoroughly not enjoy. Kind of like censuring the censurers.

How to abuse your (public & shared) bookmark lists:

- My bottom 10 caches

- My solved puzzle caches, annotated with coords.

B)

Yep, I believe it is only a matter of time before we see this new feature abused, as others have been abused. Instead of seeing links to "nice" bookmark lists like "The Leprechauns' Top 5% Greatest Cache Hunts," we will see what you described. The only solution I can think of is to rate the "good" lists "thumbs-up" and to downgrade the "bad" lists. I understand from TPTB that the "good" lists will be listed first on the cache page, perhaps then relegating the "bad" bookmark lists to a separate page after the three-list maximum is hit.

The question asked is "Do you find this list useful?", so many folks may say "Ye, I know what caches to avoid" or "Yes, I could have solved those puzzles without the hints in this list"

So it may rise to the top.

On the flip side, as I noticed with waymarks, people will readily rate something down they did not like, but don't always consider to rate somethig up that they enjoyed.

Hey!  What's wrong with a "Sissy-n-CR's Must Miss Cache List" and why is that "abuse?"

Actually, I started this post being facetious, but then I saw the irony of the encouraging of folks to vote down lists that point out those caches that one might thoroughly not enjoy.  Kind of like censuring the censurers.

There is nothing wrong with a must-miss cache list, except all the contention it would create. I was originally thinking about "Tharagleb's caches that suck.", but decided to tone it down... B)

[Edit: thing ==> thinking]

Edited by Tharagleb
There is nothing wrong with a must-miss cache list, except all the contention it would create.

Agreed.

I'd probably not do it just so the sucky caches don't get the attention. You know, kind of like a train wreck or rubber neckers. "Hey, let's go see what was so bad about that cache CR said sucked."

Mrs. Car54

After logging out, the bookmark section disappears from the page altogether. I have yet to see another user's bookmark list appear in the list, even on a few very popular caches, so my guess is that it only shows your lists to you when you are logged in. I'm at work right now and don't have the password to another account with me (our club account, not a sockpuppet B) ), so I can't log in under another username to see what happens.

Fear not! I saw my "not shared" ignore list showing up on a cache listing while I was logged in. But then I quickly logged out, and logged in with a sock puppet account (yes, I suppose that's a public admission of having a sock puppet account; it's for a mascot, give me a break). Anyways, TheWhiteUrkel's not shared ignore list was not seen by another logged in user.

No, I am still "fearing." Take a look at this page of bookmark lists which include the popular "Ebey Bluffs" cache on Whidbey Island, Washington. You will see several lists that are NOT coded as being "shared," and which are NOT coded as being "public." This is a bug.

Mrs. Car54

After logging out, the bookmark section disappears from the page altogether. I have yet to see another user's bookmark list appear in the list, even on a few very popular caches, so my guess is that it only shows your lists to you when you are logged in. I'm at work right now and don't have the password to another account with me (our club account, not a sockpuppet B) ), so I can't log in under another username to see what happens.

No, I am still "fearing." Take a look at this page of bookmark lists which include the popular "Ebey Bluffs" cache on Whidbey Island, Washington. You will see several lists that are NOT coded as being "shared," and which are NOT coded as being "public." This is a bug.

That particular list only lists them as shared, only the cache owner can see whether they are public on their own pages. I tried this out too. I made some of my lists shares, some public and shared, and some just public. On that particular listing page it just has a column for "shared" and obviously those all are. If there were a column for "public" I am sure all those would say "YES" as well.

This, I doubt it a bug, maybe a failure to update the way bookmarks are listed on those lists, but not a bug.

BTW, added that cache to my list of "To Do's; but will probably never get a chance!" B)

To TeamHawaii (sorry, there are multiple discussions going on in this thread):

But the list includes several bookmark lists where the answer is "NO" in the shared column. If I choose not to share my list then it should not show up on the list of bookmark lists, even if people cannot access the list itself. If I have a list of the 100 lamest caches I've ever done, but SOLELY for my own reference, I would not want the public (and especially the cache owners) to know that "Interstate Exit Guardrail #38" is on that bookmark list.

Edited by The Leprechauns

Snipped other quotes.

No, I am still "fearing."  Take a look at this page of bookmark lists which include the popular "Ebey Bluffs" cache on Whidbey Island, Washington.  You will see several lists that are NOT coded as being "shared," and which are NOT coded as being "public."  This is a bug.

When you click the "more" Bookmark Lists link on the cache page it shows all the shared bookmarks, even those not keyed as public.

Edited by WildGooseChase
But the list includes several bookmark lists where the answer is "NO" in the shared column.

Yes, but only for you because you have some administrator rights on the site. Regular users can't see them. I verified with my Jeremy account (which sadly, has no rights at all).