Disabled Tb's / Geocoins

Moote

OK I see that one of my GeoCoins which I foolishly set out on Virtual tour has now had all it's logs deleted and the coin is now disabled.

It only seams fair to me that because it was not made fully clear that this activity was taboo that the team at GC.com allow the Virtual TB and Virtual Coin holders to take these coins/TB's back into our control so that we can play the game the way you intend.

It is odd that GC.com did not see if fit to hand out a warning to each owner that the bugs/coins will be disabled, I feel that as a gesture you should give us back these to place in real caches and move about the way you now intend, and in my case and I would think in others also will agree that we will not start anymore virtual runs.

Thanks

Moote

Edited by Moote

If you actually plan to release the Geocoin we would be happy to set that up for you to restart it on its real journey.

Keep in mind, however, that I am not doing this because we "didn't hand out a warning". That would be a moot point after the fact, no pun intended. There was no reason to have a rule in place to say that fake logging wasn't allowed either. A "virtual" travel bug or geocoin is some manufactured term we never used here. Since the intent was to actually map a physical move in the real world we thought that the point of a Travel Bug or Geocoin was pretty clear.

Anyway, use the contact address to request that the geocoin is reset so you can drop it off into a cache. If you do not intend to do this, however, there is no reason to have it reset.

Hey,

Find it very funny jeremy that I have seen HUNDREDS of virutal geocoins and virtual travel bugs. And NONE of them have been disabled on the site. Is this something new? Some travel bugs get lost and such. Now I think it stupid to by a travel bug and keep it but do it virutal but I can see if one is stolen and you paid to have it out to do it as a virutal then. :blink: Just kind of curious what this coin was disabled but others roam free. ;)

Wayne

AKA - Krycheck

....but I can see if one is stolen and you paid to have it out to do it as a virutal then. ;)

I don't want to sound rude, but why can't people just get over it and let the TB die? Bugs (and coins) go missing all the time, it's just a fact of life. I know it's frustrating, expecially after spending so much money on trackables, but there are other options. I've seen some bug owners print up a nice laminated tag resembling a missing coin that they release back out into the wild. These are less appealing to hoarders and tend to have a longer lifespan than the original. If it's that important to continue to live vicariously through the little things, why not just do this instead of clogging up the site with fake logs on caches that are now choked with dozens of "virtual drop" notes? Some of us like keeping the more extreme caches on our watchlists, but this has become nearly impossible with all the virtual logs now.

Most of my TBs have disappeared and there are several others that I suspect will never see the light of day again. I don't worry about it. In fact, I'm about to release a bug that I want to get lost. :blink:

Hey,

Find it very funny jeremy that I have seen HUNDREDS of virutal geocoins and virtual travel bugs. And NONE of them have been disabled on the site. Is this something new? Some travel bugs get lost and such. Now I think it stupid to by a travel bug and keep it but do it virutal but I can see if one is stolen and you paid to have it out to do it as a virutal then. ;) Just kind of curious what this coin was disabled but others roam free. :blink:

Wayne

AKA - Krycheck

I see dozens of people breaking traffic laws everyday too. Does it make it legal if enough people use their own interpretation of the rules?

Just kind of curious what this coin was disabled but others roam free. :)

Pass on a list and I'll be happy to lock them all.

He's quite serious about locking them. I passed on a list of about 30 virtual TBs and geocoins to him last week and he graciously and quickly locked them all down. Later this week I hope to compile another list of virtuals to lock down, hopefully numbering the in the hundreds. The faster these are locked down, the faster this silly activity can die. B)

There very easy to find even without the virtual in the name.

Just look at the TB's found by anyone who has released a virtual TB and you find a high proportion of them quite easily.

Mileage is a dead giveaway too its either 0 or very very high.

My Tb that I released about a moth ago still shows 0 for milage because it has'nt gone anywhere. It's NOT a virtual. It just has to get picked up yet.

Ok, I want this answer to come Jermey himself so I know if I am in the clear or not.

Are personal TBs ok, as in I wear the tag to all meet-n-greet and if someone asks me for the number and I give them the number, this is ok, same goes with coins.

Now if I drop the personal bug into a cache and remove it right after I dropped it, is this considered the virutal TBing or what? As in logging for miles is now being taking away?

I'm clueless to be honest and just want some idea so if I need to delete some of my logs I will.

***update** I got part of the answer I wanted, personal tags are ok, but what about the "logging of miles" cause honestly, I've done it but only in a few select caches just to log miles and only caches I have logged.

Edited by geoholic28
If you actually plan to release the Geocoin we would be happy to set that up for you to restart it on its real journey.

Keep in mind, however, that I am not doing this because we "didn't hand out a warning". That would be a moot point after the fact, no pun intended. There was no reason to have a rule in place to say that fake logging wasn't allowed either. A "virtual" travel bug or geocoin is some manufactured term we never used here. Since the intent was to actually map a physical move in the real world we thought that the point of a Travel Bug or Geocoin was pretty clear.

Anyway, use the contact address to request that the geocoin is reset so you can drop it off into a cache. If you do not intend to do this, however, there is no reason to have it reset.

I apologies for making my geocoins "vituals". They are now going to be laminated copies of the coins. I already have 2 actual coins that were picked up in caches in the US and they still haven't been released. I have e-mailed them a couple of time asking them to release them. I have had no problem with the 4 actual coins that I sent over to Europe.

Had a TB that got kidnapped. The only thing the geocaching.com said they could do to help get it back was to e-mail the person. (which we had already done many times).

I like to collect the coins. Some have special meaning to me. I like to be able to share them with other without them being stolen.

Finally, I didn't know that I was in competitions with everyone else. My geocaching and stat's on my profile page are done for me not others.

I have several coins which folks "could" read the numbers off of my coin site. Of course, if they did, I would delete their entry.

As for my trackable coins, I DO like to take them to events for folks to see and log. This means they are physically moving from event to event and accomplishing a mission that is personally pretty fun for me to watch.

So..... where does that leave my coins? If I allowed someone that never saw the coin to log it -- that would be both wierd and somehow sad.

Of course, if they all got loc`locked -- that would be sad too.

So..... where does that leave my coins? If I allowed someone that never saw the coin to log it -- that would be both wierd and somehow sad.

So if we have a coin we do this for a lot, let someone log the coin but never see it, it could get locked down?

boy if this is so, a lot of GW3 coins are in trouble among other coins

So..... where does that leave my coins?  If I allowed someone that never saw the coin to log it -- that would be both wierd and somehow sad.

So if we have a coin we do this for a lot, let someone log the coin but never see it, it could get locked down?

boy if this is so, a lot of GW3 coins are in trouble among other coins

I don't understand why someone would log a cache they never found.

I'm curious about having a coin to use to log mileage, too. I have one that I use. It's logs are sort of a journal where I make notes not only about the caches that we visit, but the weather that day, where we stopped to eat, who we may have run into and that sort of thing. I'd hate to have that option taken away.

And why would anyone log a cache they didn't find? Sorry, couldn't resist...resist....resist.....

Edited by maggieszoo
Someone know how to turn off the broken record switch?

Question is- If someone loggs a coin they have not seen but are personal friends to the owner, is this included on the crackdown?

Haha! :P

I guess what I'm getting at is pretty simple. Logging caches, coins, etc that you have not actually seen, touched and visited -- while interesting, seems (to me) a little odd.

What if you found a really good cache and your friend (who normally caches with you, but couldn't make it that day) asks you to sign in for them so they can count it as a find.

Anything wrong with that? If "no" -- then we just have different philosophies -- no worries. If "yes", then what is the difference between that and logging an unseen coin? I would hope that these types of behaviors were "locked". (actually, to be 100% honest -- I don't actually care that much - but I find it odd)

Then again, there was this one cacher flying the globe in a Fligh Simulator -- for some reason that seemed cool to me.....

Edited by Lemon Fresh Dog

So TB's and coins with 0 mileage have also been disabled? No wonder the other day when I looked at my TB list I could see several missing. I have activated them but not been able to get out to do anything. The same with my coins, they are in a collection and go to meets.

I have no objection to the new "TAGGING" instead of logging them as moved, but now I need to know which ones have been disabled, how to go about re-activating them and making sure it does not happen again.

There were also a couple of TB's not on my list that I knew had been hung onto too long and was wanting to email the guilty parties in hopes of getting them moving again, but these also were missing from my list. I just thought it was a computer glitch and would try again the next day.

None of these coins or bugs were virtuals.

Lynn

dupe post

Man, they keep making changes to the Matrix this morning :P

As for logging coins one has never seen, from the perspective of TPTB I can't see how this would be enforcable. It's obvious when a TB moves from Antartica to Greenland to Madagascar in 12 hours, but it's harder to show that a "grabbed it" isn't legit. I logged a bunch of travel bugs from Nebraska this weekend, which are now sitting here on my desk. But it'll be a day or two before I start logging my finds from the trip, and in the meantime by looking through my profile it appears that I cheated to grab bugs out of caches I haven't visited in a state 500 miles away.

I am glad to see GC.com putting a stop to this trend.

Logging coins you have never seen or touched is lame. Just as lame as logging a cache you have never done. We have logged a few coins that were part of peoples collections. We never physically took the coin (because they were watching us :P but we saw it and touched it so we feel justified in logging it.

Someone know how to turn off the broken record switch?

Question is- If someone loggs a coin they have not seen but are personal friends to the owner, is this included on the crackdown?

But why would they want to log a coin they've never seen, held, or touched, even if they are a close personal friend of yours? :P

I don't get it either. At an event earlier this year someone handed me a printout of geocoin and TB tracking numbers. I had no clue why he was doing it and asked him what it was for and he said "so you can log them".

I asked why should I want to log a TB or geocoin that I've never even touched and his response was "so you can get the icons".

Forgive me if I'm totally out of touch, but I always thought the icons were there to indicate how many of each you actually found.

Here's what I do -- I like it, but what do others think?

1) At events, I bring a binder of my trackable coins (the real deal) that I want to keep in my collection. I have a little sheet with their names and numbers. Then, folks can look at them, go "oooooh---aaaaaah" and take a sheet to log them at their convenience. If I see a log from someone not at the event -- I delete it.

2) I have a coin cache (to be placed soon). In this cache I have a container with 15 geocoins -- 7 of which are trackable. There is a little sheet of the trackable numbers. Folks visit the cache and LEAVE the coins, but take a sheet. They can log them and others can visit my little coin museum (there is also lots of trader items, TB's etc in there. If I see a log from someone that has not been to the cache -- I delete it.

So, my coins in #1 fulfill a mission to go from event to event but remain in my collection and (hopefully) the coins in #2 remain in the cache and provide a place where people can actually SEE coins in a cache and log them.

In the end, folks are seeing coins, finding caches, having fun.

Here's the thing. The coins will not gather distance (actually, the event ones will as soon as they attend more than one event)

1) At events, I bring a binder of my trackable coins (the real deal) that I want to keep in my collection. I have a little sheet with their names and numbers. Then, folks can look at them, go "oooooh---aaaaaah" and take a sheet to log them at their convenience. If I see a log from someone not at the event -- I delete it.

2) I have a coin cache (to be placed soon). In this cache I have a container with 15 geocoins -- 7 of which are trackable. There is a little sheet of the trackable numbers. Folks visit the cache and LEAVE the coins, but take a sheet. They can log them and others can visit my little coin museum (there is also lots of trader items, TB's etc in there. If I see a log from someone that has not been to the cache -- I delete it.

So, my coins in #1 fulfill a mission to go from event to event but remain in my collection and (hopefully) the coins in #2 remain in the cache and provide a place where people can actually SEE coins in a cache and log them.

Here's the thing. The coins will not gather distance (actually, the event ones will as soon as they attend more than one event)

what happens when someone takes the coins and leaves the sheet in the cache?

1) At events, I bring a binder of my trackable coins (the real deal) that I want to keep in my collection.  I have a little sheet with their names and numbers.  Then, folks can look at them, go "oooooh---aaaaaah" and take a sheet to log them at their convenience.  If I see a log from someone not at the event -- I delete it.

2) I have a coin cache (to be placed soon).  In this cache I have a container with 15 geocoins -- 7 of which are trackable.  There is a little sheet of the trackable numbers.  Folks visit the cache and LEAVE the coins, but take a sheet.  They can log them and others can visit my little coin museum (there is also lots of trader items, TB's etc in there.  If I see a log from someone that has not been to the cache -- I delete it.

Here's the thing.  The coins will not gather distance (actually, the event ones will as soon as they attend more than one event)

I hunt them down......

The cache pretty clearly states to leave the coins for others to see. They are "perminent" residents of the cache.

When/If they are stolen, I will see the next finder noting they are gone, trudge over to the cache and remove the sheets.

(I've also physically scratched each con with an "X" and am hoping folks are nice about this -- it's an experiment)

I personally review each one before they are locked down. It becomes very obvious (such as releasing the code to the page) when one is being fake logged.

Just to clarify:

Virtual means I get the tracking number from Joe Cacher in TimBuckTwo and log it for the Icon.

Or Virtual means the Coin/TB is on my desk and I've sent something else out to travel that I won't mind losing.

Or both?

1) At events, I bring a binder of my trackable coins (the real deal) that I want to keep in my collection.  I have a little sheet with their names and numbers.  Then, folks can look at them, go "oooooh---aaaaaah" and take a sheet to log them at their convenience.  If I see a log from someone not at the event -- I delete it.

2) I have a coin cache (to be placed soon).  In this cache I have a container with 15 geocoins -- 7 of which are trackable.  There is a little sheet of the trackable numbers.  Folks visit the cache and LEAVE the coins, but take a sheet.  They can log them and others can visit my little coin museum (there is also lots of trader items, TB's etc in there.  If I see a log from someone that has not been to the cache -- I delete it.

Here's the thing.  The coins will not gather distance (actually, the event ones will as soon as they attend more than one event)

I hunt them down......

The cache pretty clearly states to leave the coins for others to see. They are "perminent" residents of the cache.

When/If they are stolen, I will see the next finder noting they are gone, trudge over to the cache and remove the sheets.

(I've also physically scratched each con with an "X" and am hoping folks are nice about this -- it's an experiment)

I hope it works. I found a newly-released GeoCoin and placed it in a well-cammoed Multi-cache, thinking the coin would only be found by experienced Geocachers.

The coin was never seen again . . . :rolleyes:

Edit to add appropriate quote.

Edited by Miragee

I think that is a great idea and so very good of you to share your collection with others. As far as I am concerned if a cacher can see and or touch a coin then they should feel comfortable logging it.

From what I understand is that GC.com is only trying to stop people from activating coins then posting the numbers on the coin page or on the forums so that anyone in the world can log it. Coins travel millions of miles online and never leave thier owners hands.

and apparantly some yahoos have taken it apon themselves to publicaly post the TB numbers of other peoples travelers without the owners knowledge or permission. THat is just rude :lol:

I am glad GC.com is making an effort to minimize this. Will they be able to detect and stop ever single occurance? Of course not just like people speed ever day with out getting tickets. but we all know if we speed it is possible to get a ticket and for some of us that slows us down

VIRTUAL GEOCOINS - sounds like a new coin... :rolleyes:

I've seen this increasingly often. Some have even gone as far as to make/buy those felt-lined display cases for all their coins, so that event-goers can admire them/view them/drool on the glass. The sheets are handy, too- I don't kow how many tracking numbers I've written on restaurant napkins :rolleyes:

In fact, handing out sheets of tracking numbers at events is becomming so commonplace that when I brought out my three meager TN coins for people to log at a recent event, I got several responses of ,"What, you didn't print out a sheet with the numbers on it? You mean I actually have to write them down?"

From what I understand is that GC.com is only trying to stop people from activating coins then posting the numbers on the coin page or on the forums so that anyone in the world can log it. Coins travel millions of miles online and never leave thier owners hands.

and apparantly some yahoos have taken it apon themselves to publicaly post the TB numbers of other peoples travelers without the owners knowledge or permission. THat is just rude :lol:

I am glad GC.com is making an effort to minimize this. Will they be able to detect and stop ever single occurance? Of course not just like people speed ever day with out getting tickets. but we all know if we speed it is possible to get a ticket and for some of us that slows us down

VIRTUAL GEOCOINS - sounds like a new coin... :rolleyes:

there should be some sort on anonymous reporting "link" on the home page, so that TPTB can spend their time working on new stuff (Waymarking) and when we find a 'rule abuser' we then report them.......kind of like the Waymarking peer reviewing.....

if you see it and do not approve of it: 1)do not participate and 2) report it.

That IS funny. Personally, I tend not to get too excited over seeing a coin design I've already seen (yeah, I've logged a few Moun10Bike coins, but one was before I owned my own and the others are my own) -- I'd log one in the wild, but if I saw a few at an event, I probably wouldn't.

I do think part of the fun at an event is getting "geo-crazy" and seeing/logging neat coins, funny travel bugs, removing trash, etc.....

I'm glad it appears that these types of activities are safe from being locked.

The REAL fun is:

Try to restart your locked coin and no action will be done by geocaching.com... :P

As suggested, I made an email to the contact at geocaching.com mail address and got a reply that my coins will be unlocked "within a business day". That was two weeks ago and since then I neither received any further reply or information nor have my coins been unlocked.

POOR SERVICE!

The REAL fun is:

Try to restart your locked coin and no action will be done by geocaching.com... :P

As suggested, I made an email to the contact at geocaching.com mail address and got a reply that my coins will be unlocked "within a business day". That was two weeks ago and since then I neither received any further reply or information nor have my coins been unlocked.

POOR SERVICE!

Did you email them back a few days after they said they would activate it, or did you come straight to the forums on Christmas Day (a Sunday) when nary a mouse is stirring in the offices?

They might have overlooked it given a number of serious issues they are trying to rectify in other areas of the website.

SunshineGang Posted on Dec 12 2005, 11:56 AM

QUOTE (Lemon Fresh Dog @ Dec 12 2005, 10:38 AM)

I find this absolutely amazing! Apparently, gc.com locked virtual tb's because they did not "move from cache to cache as intended". Well, these coins mentioned and tb's that are "looked at and logged" at events certainly never see various caches either. I fail to see any difference - other than selective choosing on gc.com's part what they select to put an end to. I personally do not choose to log tb's that are "present" at an event. That's my choice (or has been up to now) but I've also chosen not to complain or gripe about it - each to their own has been how the game has been played up to now. Yes, I did have a virtual tb. Changed it into a virt when the real thing disappeared. However, I never gave the tb number out unless someone emailed and had actually visited a cache where it was. I always checked the cache log to make sure they had been there. Only then would I give them the tb number. So it "virtually" moved with an actual cacher. Definately more logical to me than "touching" a bug at an event. All in the eye of the beholder I guess!

I know from visiting the forums occasionally (very rarely as I choose not to engage in verbal combat) that any opinion from an "outsider" is deemed worthless and will undoubtly get me flamed. Don't bother since I only checked the forums this time to find out the status on these tb's and I won't play the forum game again for a long time. gc.com has the total right to do whatever they want to do - but I just would hope that they'd give it a little more equality.