I Need Software.

Roamraza

I need to purchase map software for a 60cs. I have seen different software names being thrown around. Even read somewhere about a certain line being discontinued. I just need a map for in the city. I do some occasional traveling out of town, but not too often.

Recommendations?

Do I have many choices?

By the way if this has been covered somewhere in another thread, just point me that way.

Thanks.

Garmin offers mapping software for their GPSr units under the general heading of MapSource. The MapSource product they used to offer was called City Select, which was the city map portion of the software that included all the auto-routing features. This has been replaced by City Navigator. If you live in North America, you want the MapSource City Navigator North America software.

My favorite place to get the software at a good price is GPS Discount. Here is a direct link to the software you were asking about.

http://www.gpsdiscount.com/products/index.html?a=507

The difference between City Navigator and City Select is that City Navigator maps sections take more memory then City Select. I think it's something that you may want to take into consideration.

That makes sense, since the newer maps probably have more detail, more POIs, etc. All that takes up more memory. However, if Garmin is discontinuing the previous software version, it only makes sense to buy the latest version. I'm guessing you could only find City Select at retailers that still have the software in-stock. The retailer I linked to will automatically upgrade your purchase if you try to buy the City Select software, since they no longer carry it.

Well by what I read on other threads, the more POI is not really what makes the maps section bigger. Seems to be the way the software is made. Read a post regarding Garmin possibly making the futur City Navigator differently so the maps sections would take less memory, to accomodate users with units with less memory like the LegendC etc.

here is a thread that could help

Edited by Nomade

City Select is the way to go. Yes, it may be discontinued next year, and replaced by City Navigator, but for 2005-2006, you still want City Select on your 60CS. Preferably version 7, but version 6 would be better that the current City Navigator. If you buy CS ver. 6, Garmin will update it to ver. 7 for free for as long as they have dvd's in stock.

The current version of CN has huge map segments. It's sort of like going to a cafeteria and ordering peas, fish and dessert, only to have the server give you a case of peas, 50 pounds of fish, and a pastry counter full of pies. The stuff us the same, but the quantities are huge. Great if you are feeding a small army (or in Garmin's case, loading maps onto automotive units that have tons of memory--that's what CN was designed for). Bad if you are dining alone (or using a hand-held unit like the 60CS).

Garmin promises, largely due to feedback from forum members here, that when CS is discontinued, and our only option is CN (version 8), that they'll reduce the size of the map segments to more managable portions.

City Select is the way to go. Yes, it may be discontinued next year, and replaced by City Navigator, but for 2005-2006, you still want City Select on your 60CS. Preferably version 7, but version 6 would be better that the current City Navigator. If you buy CS ver. 6, Garmin will update it to ver. 7 for free for as long as they have dvd's in stock.

The current version of CN has huge map segments. It's sort of like going to a cafeteria and ordering peas, fish and dessert, only to have the server give you a case of peas, 50 pounds of fish, and a pastry counter full of pies. The stuff us the same, but the quantities are huge. Great if you are feeding a small army (or in Garmin's case, loading maps onto automotive units that have tons of memory--that's what CN was designed for). Bad if you are dining alone (or using a hand-held unit like the 60CS).

Garmin promises, largely due to feedback from forum members here, that when CS is discontinued, and our only option is CN (version 8), that they'll reduce the size of the map segments to more managable portions.

What he said. They have also said, again due to feedback received from many of us that there will be an upgrade path from City Select 7 to City Navigator 8--the one with the smaller map segments. Until V8 comes out, City Select is what you want to go with.