Virtual Geocoin (new Idea?)

mrsandman

I see that there is a discussion about virtual geocoins, so I wonder if my idea is acceptable or not:

I want a geocoin following my GC tracks.

So I ask (in the order of my founds) every cacher, how found a cache immediately after us, to log my geocoin out of this cache and log it (with a note) to the next cache I found.

The geocoin itself is not travelling.

Is this a do or dont??

mrsandman

My $0.02 - Whether or not it is a prohibited virtual traveler, I wouldn't be inclined to move it. I'll log a travelbug/coin that I find and move, but I have no desire to move a virtual coin for someone else.

You can have a coin that you drop into and retrieve from each cache that you visit. My son does that occasionally with a personal geocoin (he gave up on dropping it in every cache - it was too slow a process [GC servers] on the weekends).

If you want to just keep track of your own miles, then you can log a coin or TB that you keep in and out of each cache you visited. Many people do that. But once you let others log it and it isn't really moving anywhere, it is the type of virtual coin that is prohibited.

If you want to just keep track of your own miles, then you can log a coin or TB that you keep in and out of each cache you visited. Many people do that. But once you let others log it and it isn't really moving anywhere, it is the type of virtual coin that is prohibited.

Excactly.

To the OP: What you are proposting to do is called a personal travel but (or coin in your case). A lot of people do it for exactly the reasons you are.

Hmm, hard to understand...

It is allowed to move the coin by myself, but forbidden to share it with others? It's the same count of logs, so what's the difference?

I can understand that it's forbidden when dozens of people grab and log a coin into the same cache, esp. at events.

BTW: I can't find a reason why it should be forbidden...

Thanks for your answers!!

Happy caching

mrsandman

Hmm, hard to understand...

It is allowed to move the coin by myself, but forbidden to share it with others? It's the same count of logs, so what's the difference?

I can understand that it's forbidden when dozens of people grab and log a coin into the same cache, esp. at events.

BTW: I can't find a reason why it should be forbidden...

Thanks for your answers!!

Happy caching

mrsandman

The difference is that technically your personal TB/Coin is supposed to go to each cache with you, but a virtual TB/Coin never actually sees any caches. This site is about physical caches and physically placing things in caches. Virtuals are for the Waymarking.com site.

It's a don't.

They didn't even see the coin. Half of them won't do it. Why should they? Why would they? For a virtual icon? Virtual logging is not allowed, only if they are seeing/holding the coin, say at an event or being somewhere with the coin holder. Virtual logs, ones logged just by obtaining the number online somewhere are not allowed. If you want to keep track of your mileage this way you are going to have to log all those logs yourself. Your coin/bug page, if virtual, would be disabled when it was discovered/reported.

Why is it forbidden? It's considered abuse of the geocaching.com system, that's why. The Frog said so and so it is.