Heads-up About Geoposer And Finds On Extreme Caches

This is a heads-up about a rather funny, if bizarre, phenomenon unfolding right now over at geocaching.com. Over the past hour, a new account with the name "GeoPoser" has been claiming finds -- all supposedly found in the last few minutes on his lunch break -- on tough extreme caches such as:

• Blood & Guts in Virgiia
  • Gokyo Ri (in Nepal, missing for over 14 months, but I would like to replace the container if and when I am in that area next)
  • Quantum Leap
  • Caver's Plunge Extreme (GCRVXB; a T5 in Kentucky that is muchly on my "to-do" list...)
  • Chomolangma (GCP7JV; a 5/5 in Tibet)

GeoPoser makes funny comments in the logs, such as: "Did this one on my lunch break with my grandmother..." He/she is up to about six finds so far, but I suspect that she/he is likely gonna "hit" more extremes around the world. At first I was slightly annoyed at all the logs, then I decided it was quite funny, and worth a good laugh. Not sure how I will react when and if he/she "hits" any of our Psycho caches! Obviously, my first instinctive reaction would be to delete the logs, but I might have a good laugh first! Or, if they were to leave a really detailed and funny find log that they really put their heart into, then I might leave it for a while.

I checked out the GeoPoser account, and it seems that it is a new account, started today, and the person says their profession is "Professional Geocacher" and that their location is "Garmin World Headquarters" (a Garmin lover, I guess?)And, since the account is not a premium member account, she/he will not be able to claim finds on most of our Psycho caches... It will be kinda interesting to watch this one and see how it develops!

As for the identity of the true account holder, since this is likely a sock puppet for a real cacher who is having fun, there is some limited evidence so far that the person may be located in Texas.

Great minds think alike!

The Chomolangma one is the one that got my attention. It's actually the local name for "Mount Everest" which is why I referred to it as "probably the hardest cache in the world" - is there anything more hailed than successfully climbing Everest? :o

Great minds think alike!

The Chomolangma one is the one that got my attention. It's actually the local name for "Mount Everest" which is why I referred to it as "probably the hardest cache in the world" - is there anything more hailed than successfully climbing Everest? :D

Well I guess I won't be doing that cache anytime soon! :o

since the account is not a premium member account, she/he will not be able to claim finds on most of our Psycho caches... It will be kinda interesting to watch this one and see how it develops!

Looks like they logged #9 before they were banned.

since the account is not a premium member account, she/he will not be able to claim finds on most of our Psycho caches... It will be kinda interesting to watch this one and see how it develops!

Looks like they logged #9 before they were banned.

Yes, I noticed the notification of that log find for PUC #9 (one of two PUCs which are not Premium member-only caches) pop up in my mailbox a few minutes ago. Well, the fake log entry was rather light-hearted and humorous, and so I will let it stand for a day or two before deleting it, just so that folks can get a good laugh! :o

As for the identity of the true account holder, since this is likely a sock puppet for a real cacher who is having fun, there is some limited evidence so far that the person may be located in Texas.

Texan78.... That you?

I don't delete logs on my caches for the most part. I'll consider GP part of the history of QL.... :o

Texan78.... That you?

I don't delete logs on my caches for the most part. I'll consider GP part of the history of QL.... :o

Y'know, with a few (log) exceptions, I am leaning more and more toward that view every day! Good hearing from you again here!

BTW, I have some fotos to upload to my log entries for QL soon, from one of the custom stages, now that you have given me permission to reveal more about the strange little radioactive containers I found at the wrecked aircraft site.

Great minds think alike!

The Chomolangma one is the one that got my attention. It's actually the local name for "Mount Everest" which is why I referred to it as "probably the hardest cache in the world" - is there anything more hailed than successfully climbing Everest? :ph34r:

There is one, I believe, that is several thousand meters below the surface of the ocean. That's probably harder to get to than 7500 meters up Everest.

There is one, I believe, that is several thousand meters below the surface of the ocean. That's probably harder to get to than 7500 meters up Everest.

I'd love to know which one that is; do you have a name or waypoint?

I saw it too, it is in the idiots guide to geocaching.

I'd love to know which one that is; do you have a name or waypoint?

Rainbow Hydrothermal Vent, at a depth of about 1.7 miles, if I recall depth correctly. And, it is reportedly missing in action.

However... Why not try our nuke reactor cache (Psycho Urban Cache #9), if you want an extreme cache? Or how about Blood & Guts in Virginia? Or Quantum Leap by Snoogans, in Texas? Or Moonsoverbend's Caver's Plunge Extreme cache in KY?

Rainbow Hydrothermal Vent, at a depth of about 1.7 miles, if I recall depth correctly. And, it is reportedly missing in action.

However... Why not try our nuke reactor cache (Psycho Urban Cache #9), if you want an extreme cache? Or how about Blood & Guts in Virginia? Or Quantum Leap by Snoogans, in Texas? Or Moonsoverbend's Caver's Plunge Extreme cache in KY?

Yikes...I would have to say Rainbow Hydrothermal Vent and Chomolangma are equally difficult...at least I know I'll never be getting them!

Vinny, I am in Fairfax County, not too terribly far from PUC9. If I ever think I'm good enough for an extreme cache, I will try that one first. :ph34r:

Yikes...I would have to say Rainbow Hydrothermal Vent and Chomolangma are equally difficult...at least I know I'll never be getting them!

Vinny, I am in Fairfax County, not too terribly far from PUC9. If I ever think I'm good enough for an extreme cache, I will try that one first. :D

:):o:D:):):ph34r::o

And, since you are in VA -- you may also wish to try Blood & Guts in Virginia, or Eagle's Tour -- both are excellent, and the first is a major classic!

Edited by Vinny & Sue Team

I have a watch on Chomolangma GCP7JV. This morning a find notice popped up in my mailbox. It has since been deleted so I won't out the poster. Here's the log entry:

Log Date: 8/22/2008

Visited via Google Earth on a windy friday afternoon with my Son Matthew, it was quite chilly but the view was amazing, ate some sandwiches and had a bottle of pop, (frozen)tried some Yaks milk ice cream too (Yuk).Was late home for tea.

It's kind of odd, they've been members since 2006 but only show found it logs for the past 2 months.

I have a watch on Chomolangma GCP7JV. This morning a find notice popped up in my mailbox. It has since been deleted so I won't out the poster. Here's the log entry:

Visited via Google Earth on a windy friday afternoon with my Son Matthew, it was quite chilly but the view was amazing, ate some sandwiches and had a bottle of pop, (frozen)tried some Yaks milk ice cream too (Yuk).Was late home for tea.

It's kind of odd, they've been members since 2006 but only show found it logs for the past 2 months.

Hey, I was there too. Google earth is just amazing, didn't see the cache, so I guess it is a DNF for us!lol

HEY! He is just playing the game the way HE wants to play the game! What's the harm? :huh:

He may ACTUALLY be a very FAST dude and REALLY on his way to becoming a .........CONTENDER! :D

Actually, this type of cacher makes up only a small portion of the caching public and should not interfere in the fun and thrill of YOUR caching! :D

This cacher is not taking anything away from you as a cacher. Is he costing you money? Sneaking out with your wifey? Eating your grits and gravy? No, he is not. Think of a vanilla ice cream cone. If you had another flavor that..........well, I forgot how that goes, but you get my drift!! :o

I would never post a bogus find to some exotic place......I have trouble just finding my way from the trailer park down to the 7-11..!!! ;)

But if I did post a lot of bogus armchair posts.........I might someday gain some respect with thousands of caches and become.................A CONTENDER! :D

All Hail To The Mighty Pile Of Sticks! :)

This is actually pretty funny, unlike a retired Air Force guy (if he was actually really in the Air Force) claiming 1,500 finds in 4 months, or the hundreds and hundreds of "greetings from germany" logs on virtuals. And no, you're not fooling me, I know this thread is two years old. I didn't just drive in on the turnip truck or something. :D

It's funny, I saw that log too and wondered about them. I guess he was trying to be funny since he logged it on a cache that is so heavily watched and is so obvious that he didn't find. The cache owner did the same thing nearly all of us would do, and deleted the bogus Find.

The grammar is stilted as is often the case with babelfish translations, but you can get the gist of it here.

During the planning of its Himalaya Expidition in the years 2004/2005 Kletterlemmie and I came together on the thought to provide by cache at the highest mountain of the world of the Cacher municipality a completely special incentive. 2005 were put to the cache by Kletterlemmie, which was passionate mountain climber. After its tragic accident at the mountain Dent D `Hérens (4171m) to Italy, which ended for Kletterlemmie unfortunately mortally, I transferred the cache in the memory of him. Since the cache by a multiplicity of unqalifizierten Cachern by unqualified expressions is repeated and in agreement constantly placed and I no further desire feel to constantly argue me with these people whether it does not concern a Fake here, he comes into archives. It remains stating that my basic idea to hold by special cache the memory of a special friend and colleague alive which did not achieve an actual goal unfortunately. For Kletterlemmie: Also after your third day of death the memory of you remains constantly awake. Mountain welfare Chris!

Just to make it a little more clear than babelfish:

During the planning of our Himalayan Expedition in 2004-2005, Kletterlemmie and I came up with the idea of placing a cache on the highest mountain of the world, as a special motivator for cachers. The cache was placed in 2005 by Kletterlemmie, who was a passionate mountain climber. He had a fatal accident on Den D'Herens (4171m) in Italy, and I took over this cache in memory of him. Because many unqualified cachers are logging this constantly, and I do not feel the desire to continually argue if this cache is a fake or not, I am archiving this cache. I do want to say that my basic goal of a memorial cache was not successful. For Kletterlemmie: It's been three years since your death and I still think of you constantly. Mountain healing, Chris!