Memory Map, Pda Problems

I have Memory Map OS 2004, an HP iPAQ PDA and a BT-338 Bluetooth GPS Receiver. The problem is that I cant get MM to recognise the GPS (well not all of the time), I occasionally get a fix but then the next time I just get error messages i.e. Cannot open com port, Failed to terminate RS232 thread etc.

I set up the GPS on MM as a NMEA device, COM 6 Bluetooth Serial Port and 4800 Baud.

The GPS works fine with TOM TOM and BeeLine GPS, and did with Fugwai when it was loaded.

Can anyone please help me? :)

I have Memory Map OS 2004, an HP iPAQ PDA and a BT-338 Bluetooth GPS Receiver. The problem is that I cant get MM to recognise the GPS (well not all of the time), I occasionally get a fix but then the next time I just get error messages i.e. Cannot open com port, Failed to terminate RS232 thread etc.

I set up the GPS on MM as a NMEA device, COM 6 Bluetooth Serial Port and 4800 Baud.

The GPS works fine with TOM TOM and BeeLine GPS, and did with Fugwai when it was loaded.

Sounds like you have other software running at the time. Only one application can use the Com port, another application will then be blocked. You can get port sharing software, but you have to pay for it. Others will have info. The easier solution is to just make sure applicatiosn are actually closed when you stop using them, and not just sitting in the background eating resources and Com ports.

The easier solution is to just make sure applications are actually closed when you stop using them, and not just sitting in the background eating resources and Com ports.

Yeah, exactly what the Gerbil said....

As far as I can see/know all programmes have stopped running, I use the stop all running programmes button and even reset unit.

Am I using the right driver i.e. the NMEA model?

Same as mine NMEA driver for MemMap.

Have you got more than one port for bluetooth comms ?? If so try the other one.

Mine comes up with 2 ports - 5 and 8 - each is used for different applications.

Edited by CrazyL200

.....Oh yes and the baud rate is better set at 38000

Out of interest, what is "Baud rate"? Mine is set at 4800 (I think) as suggested by the manufacturers. Doesn't seem to work if I change it.

Edit:- OK, I've found out what the Baud Rate is, but most of the info I have found recommend using 4800. Will try the higher setting tonight when I get back home. :ph34r:

Edited by Nediam

I have exactly the same setup and it works perfectly all the time with MM. The only differences are that I use COM8, and the Baud setting is 38400.

The only problems I have are with Tom Tom, which locks the PDA for a few minutes on exit (when GPSr attached), and occasionally locks up (after a few hours continous use). Any suggestions welcome!

HH

Edited by Happy Humphrey
I think you might require a copy of GPSGate for PPC, this will allow multiple GPS apps to run simultaneously

Moote

PS Oh yes and the baud rate is better set at 38000

I agree with what Moote said (! :wub: )

I use a similar setup and with GPSGate I can run Memory Map, Tom Tom and Pocket Streets simutaneously (should I want to :ph34r: ). When driving I frequently have Memory Map displaying an OS map while having Tom Tom give spoken directions in the background.

I think you might require a copy of GPSGate for PPC, this will allow multiple GPS apps to run simultaneously

Moote

Totally agree with Moote's recommendations. Another hot tip picked up from Moote was to install GPSGate into the base memory and not the SD Card. Since doing that I have had no problems running several GPS bits of software simultaneously. "Moote's Guide to Using Your Pocket PC" is a good read and I am sure someone will advise where it can be found.

Moote

....."Moote's Guide to Using Your Pocket PC" is a good read and I am sure someone will advise where it can be found.

The link can be found here :ph34r:

Edited by Nediam

The GPS Gate advice is very good and useful but addresses a different problem, as there is no suggestion that more than 1 GPS application is in use.

What moote suggests fixed exactly the same problem that I had with TT5 and MM running on my Ipaq.

Even if you think you have closed all programs for some reason it seems TT is very possesive of the com port.

By using GPSGate you in actual fact are setting up numerous virtual com ports so that each application can have it's own and GPSGate sorts out the sharing part of it.

Cheers

Dave

Edited by The Mars Bars

It might be worth contacting Memory Map. They have a pretty good support network. A quick search of the "Failed to terminate RS232" message, came up with details of a connection problem and not a Software based problem.

You could also try contacting the manufacturers of the GPSr unit to see if they know what's wrong, they may have heard of similar problems.

Edited by Nediam

What moote suggests fixed exactly the same problem that I had with TT5 and MM running on my Ipaq.

Even if you think you have closed all programs for some reason it seems TT is very possesive of the com port.

By using GPSGate you in actual fact are setting up numerous virtual com ports so that each application can have it's own and GPSGate sorts out the sharing part of it.

Cheers

Dave

I can understand that, and thanks, but what difference would it make if you'd only used TT5 and nothing else? That's when I get a problem. Similarly, I think that the OP was only using MM.

HH

Thanks for all the help.

I do have TT3 on the PDA as well as MM. I pluged in a sat receiver into the bottom of the PDA today and ran it from the car and it works fine, its just that blooming bluetooth GPS that causes problems. I do hhave GPS Gate by the way so will give it a try.

And will read Mootes guide.

The "failed to terminate" problem with memory map sometimes hits, if you turn of the GPS THEN close Memory Map - next time you run MM, it seems to get confused.

When I first got TT5, I had all sorts of problems with the Bluetooth GPS, all of which GPSGate solved. Even if you only plan to run one application at a time, it seems to be worth it, or it is for me anyway.

Only problem I've found is that if you use GPSGate's "Log the GPS Track" function while using Memory Map, you get the "Saved File" icon on the map every few seconds, which ends up looking a bit messy!

I put GpsGate on and followed the instructions now nothing works. When it comes to Start TOM TOM GPS from main menu, I cant find this, when I go to add/remove programmes it is there but un ticked, so I tick it, it says its loading onto iPAQ but nothing, next time I look its unticked again. Am I doing something wrong?

I prefer MM to TOM TOM so is there a way to uninstall TOM TOM if I cannot solve this problem?

It was into iPAQ main mem.

I have now done a hard reset back to factory settings. The only bluetooth device on my iPAQ now is MM and I am still getting the same problems and error messages plus Communication Timeout message.

Edited by drums4monty

I have TomTom installed the same way. I had wondered if you had installed it on a SD card that may have been faulty. I'm starting to think that it may be a problem with the GPSr or maybe even the iPaq. How old are they and are they still under warantee? It might be worth contacting your supplier or the manufacturers.

Having done a little reading on the subject I have found out that if you use TOM TOM Navigator with a Bluetooth GPS, TOM TOM wont release the port for use with other programmes, you are pretty stuck unless you use GpsGate or something. I tried this then nothing would work.

I didnt know that, I followed the instructions on the screen and it never mentioned that. Thanks for the info. Anymore?

When I recently downloaded the trial version, there was some specific info regarding Bluetooth and GPSGate. I skipped it as I have a CompactFlash Card GPSr, but the info you may need regarding setup may have been in there. I would suggest contacting GPSGate and asking if their technical support might know anything.

I've tried re-accessing their installation info, but I can't get any info without paying or trialing again :D