Anyone Ever Have A Flashlight Explode?

After complaining that his flashlight wasn't bright enough for night caching, my son gave Dad a Surefire 9P flashlight. It takes (3) 123A lithium batteries. My son also bought a box of 100 batteries (we have three of these flashlights so the 100 is a good investment).

Yesterday, my husband was using the flashlight at work. Something happened to make him look at the lens. As he did, the batteries exploded, shattering the lens and shooting glass shards across his cheek. It exploded like a shotgun. He is lucky that it went off before it came level with his eye. He is also lucky that it waited until he took it out of his pants pocket (yes, it was lens down in his front pocket).

Has anyone else had any problems with this type of flashlight?

The reason it exploded is that these batteries give off hydrogen gas. Because these flashlights are built to be weatherproof, this gas builds up inside the barrel of the flashlight and when the pressure gets to high it explodes the flashlight.

Sounds like a defect. I've been looking to buy a CR123 based flashlight but the ones I like cost a mint. My sister loves the surfire I got her for christmas and she hasn't menationed any problems.

For it to explode one of two things needs to happen to that hydrogen given off by the batteries. The gas would have to find an ignition source (it's all sealed) or it has to heat up enough to auto ignite. For either the gas has to build up to a high enough concentration.

Something has to be wrong either with the flashlight or the batteries. Surfie wouldn't be in business if this was a common thing.

I have heard this is a problem with waterproof flashlights. Apparently it is relatively uncommon. My Princeton Tec Surge flashlight has some pellets inside the flashlight to absorb any gas escaping from the batteries. I have several waterproof lights but no explosion here, yet. One thing you can do to help prevent it from happening is to not let the batteries in the light get extremely low. Dead batteries are more likely to out-gas than new batteries.

I hope your husband is alright. I've heard that some people drill tiny holes in their waterproof flashlights in order to let the gas escape rather than take the chance of an explosion. That's okay as long as you don't need your light to be waterproof.

Sounds like a defect. I've been looking to buy a CR123 based flashlight but the ones I like cost a mint. My sister loves the surfire I got her for christmas and she hasn't menationed any problems.

For it to explode one of two things needs to happen to that hydrogen given off by the batteries. The gas would have to find an ignition source (it's all sealed) or it has to heat up enough to auto ignite. For either the gas has to build up to a high enough concentration.

Something has to be wrong either with the flashlight or the batteries. Surfie wouldn't be in business if this was a common thing.

I had a Streamlight get REALLY hot one time. I took it back and they gave me another. No explosions though. That could have been a tragedy.

Flashlight using CR123's in a cupboard explodes, blowing a hole in the cupboard door.

Apparently from a thread on CandlePower Forums. Hop down to page 6, where a probable explanation is discovered - that two CR123s of different brands (and potentially at very different charge levels) were combined. Read posts 159 through 178, particularly those by "SilverFox" (investigation and theory), "RY3" (the poor guy whose flashlight exploded), along with "Size15's" and "beezaur" (image enhancement finding that the brand of the previously unidentified second battery was not the same brand as the first one, supporting SilverFox's theory).

I just had to track this down, since I carry a CR123-powered flashlight in my caching bag. Now I feel better, and I've learned an important tip about never mixing brands and never EVER mixing fresh and old lithium cells. (Not that I'd normally do that anyways - but previously I wouldn't do it because I'm anal retentive :laughing:...now I won't do it because I've learned that it's A Bad Thing. :laughing:)

The AA Maglites had the same problem a few years back. Maglite redesigned the gasket so it would allow gas to escape but not let water enter. The new gasket is a V or U shape. Water on the outside enters the upper or open side of the V which forces the edges against the walls of the flashlight tighter. Gas pushing from the inside pushes against the point. This forces the two legs to come together slightly allowing the gases to escape.

From Doug at Flashlightreviews.com when I asked him about this.

"Yes, it can happen. 123A cells have been known to outgas and cause lights to burst violently. Sort of like your chances of getting struck by lightning or winning the lottery. It happens, but very rarely. I have used many, many 123A lithium cell flashlights, have burned through hundreds of 123A lithium cells, and have never had a problem.

As is to be expected, prevention is the best medicine. Use only good quality or proven brands, don't mix cell brands, don't mix cells of different charge levels in the same device, and don't mix-and-match partially used cells that you may have lying around.

Really, this advice applies to all power storage cells, not just 123A lithium cells. Lithium cells are a bit different because of how quickly they can discharge all of their power. This simple fact of their design makes caution even more important.

Please don't let the fear of this rare event limit your illumination options.

Some of the brightest, lightest weight, and generally "best" lights are powered by 123A lithium cells. Often after trying one, it is practically impossible to go back to that favorite old 2-AA alkaline light you've carried for years. Take it from someone who has experienced this first-hand.

Feel free to post this to the GeoCaching forum if you like. If you do, wish everyone the best of luck from Doug over at FlashlightReviews.com!"

Don't get me wrong here, I am totally against about 90% of the bogus lawsuits for damages filed by alot of people these days, but this sounds like an excellent class action suit since personal injuries were sustained due to defective equipment produced from the manufactorer of that flashlight.

Very glad he is OK, but from the looks of that photo, it was only fractions of inches from going from OK to suffering lifetime disabling injuries.

Don't get me wrong here, I am totally against about 90% of the bogus lawsuits for damages filed by alot of people these days, but this sounds like an excellent class action suit since personal injuries were sustained due to defective equipment produced from the manufactorer of that flashlight.

Paint with a broad brush often? How can you possibly know it was the flashlight that was defective? Maybe it was the batteries. Maybe the user mixed old and new batteries. Maybe it was something totally goofy.

I'll agree with you on one thing, most of the lawsuits filed in this country are BS and should be thrown out well before a jury is ever seated.....Abuse of the court system will be the downfall of this country and we can all thank the lawyers who take on these bogus cases just because they feel they can make $$$$ off it, not because they feel the case has any real merit.

Hello Tom and Donna,

Sorry to hear of your mishap. Hope all is well.

While relatively rare, this does happen sometimes. We are trying to figure out why. We have come up with lots of theories, but the actual situation is difficult to reproduce.

Our best guess is that one cell gets hotter than the others and vents.

Please keep in mind that when these batteries vent (and/or burn), there are nasty chemicals involved. Take extreme precautions when handling the remains and don't keep them around. After disposing, make sure you scrub your hands throughly. If you look at a MSDS for the chemicals used in these batteries, you will realize that exposure to the chemicals inside them, or breathing the fumes from them burning can have serious health effects.

The general rule of thumb for using multi cell lights is that you should change out the batteries as soon as the light begins to dim. Don't try to run the batteries all the way down to the extreme end.

Tom

Hello Tom and Donna,

While relatively rare, this does happen sometimes. We are trying to figure out why. We have come up with lots of theories, but the actual situation is difficult to reproduce.

Please keep in mind that when these batteries vent (and/or burn), there are nasty chemicals involved. Take extreme precautions when handling the remains and don't keep them around. After disposing, make sure you scrub your hands throughly. If you look at a MSDS for the chemicals used in these batteries, you will realize that exposure to the chemicals inside them, or breathing the fumes from them burning can have serious health effects.

The general rule of thumb for using multi cell lights is that you should change out the batteries as soon as the light begins to dim. Don't try to run the batteries all the way down to the extreme end.

Tom

It sounds as if these flashlights need some kind of check valve to let out any gasses that build up inside.

Actually, while there isn't much reason to get overly worried, you can get a battery explosion/fire/venting with most types of batteries when the conditions are right. Rechargeables tend to be worse than chemical batteries for this sort of problems with rechargable lithiums being the most dangerous of all the ones I've seen. The risk goes up significantly the more cells are involved in the circuit. Even the old NiCad batteries can pop pretty good when you recharge a damaged one, or inadvertantly overcharge, or charge it excessily fast. I personally keep the Multi-Cell Lithium Ion batteries I use for my RC Aircraft in a fire and explosve resistant box having seen first hand just how violent one of those can vent when damaged. They go off like a multi engined model rocket motor.

Never mix cells with different capacities, brands, or levels of charge and never leave charging batteries unattended. Don't be overly concerned, but treat them with due respect, especially the higher capacity batteries

Actually, while there isn't much reason to get overly worried, you can get a battery explosion/fire/venting with most types of batteries when the conditions are right. Rechargeables tend to be worse than chemical batteries for this sort of problems with rechargable lithiums being the most dangerous of all the ones I've seen. The risk goes up significantly the more cells are involved in the circuit. Even the old NiCad batteries can pop pretty good when you recharge a damaged one, or inadvertantly overcharge, or charge it excessily fast. I personally keep the Multi-Cell Lithium Ion batteries I use for my RC Aircraft in a fire and explosve resistant box having seen first hand just how violent one of those can vent when damaged. They go off like a multi engined model rocket motor.

Never mix cells with different capacities, brands, or levels of charge and never leave charging batteries unattended. Don't be overly concerned, but treat them with due respect, especially the higher capacity batteries

Agreed. Regarding the cost of primary 123s they are available from reputable retailers on the web (Amondotech, Battery Station) for around $1 apiece. Not a bad deal. I've always treated any battery powered tool with respect. I learned when I was a kid the danger of coupling new and old cells together in a high-powered flashlight. Amondotech sells matched cells in 2, 3, and 4x123 sticks (my preference). In high-output lights there are issues with matching low capacity rechargeable cells- too much draw.

There is some question about a specific light that has had a few similar failures. Many are guessing the issue is too strong of a spring applying too much pressure to the cells causing failure. Conjecture, yes, but compelling.

There is some question about a specific light that has had a few similar failures. Many are guessing the issue is too strong of a spring applying too much pressure to the cells causing failure. Conjecture, yes, but compelling.

What light is that? I have a few Surefires so I'm interested.

The Mythbusters idea is a good one, if for no other reason than to make folks aware that this can happen, rarely or not. I had a NiMH AA – or was it a AAA? – burst in a wireless mouse. Killed the mouse, scared me half to death, and left quite a scar on my desk.

Maglite has a 2D LED flashlight on the market. its 3 watt and is sweet.

got mine at walmart for $34

Yep, not a bad product for the price. My issue is no heatsinking, so after a few minutes of light the thermal circuitry starts to dim the light due to heat. I'd also recommend the LEDBeam (www.ledbeam.com) which is a 3xD cell LUXIII light, around $24 including shipping. Though it is not thermally controlled by chip, the LED is installed deep in a large heatsink. I have one and love it. It is a great night caching light.

Tom is fine, just a few scratches on his face and hands.

ec3f9944-6775-4097-bb7a-378ac49ffe81.jpg

As you can see, it almost got his eye.

302b16ed-62e4-48f0-a96e-85fb8eb57892.jpg

This is a shot of the lens.

150b0b67-5521-4c2a-8c24-742ac43c2275.jpg

These are the batteries. They were too hot to pick up.

Thanks for the links to the CPF forums.

I am glad to hear he is are okay!!!

This isn't unheard of, and the risk can be reduced if a few simple rules are followed. There is alot of energy in these little tiny Lithium cells, and they should be treated accordingly.

More information here:

http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread...62&page=1&pp=40

Hello Tom and Donna,

Tom

What I've found out so far can be found here:

http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?p=1498350

I guess another reason to NOT use Lithium based batteries. I have never had a problem with my dive lights out gasing but they are sealed lead acid or NiMH or NICADs. I don't like lithium based batteries as Lithium is highly toxic in the environment etc.... Okay I am a closet tree hugger but then again.

The best thing I have heard of is a well know cacher, you know who you are, set his pants on fire by shorting the NiMH batteries he had in this pccket with the coins he had in his pocket. I was on the phone with him when it happened it was well some what funny.

So I guess another guess I have another reason to not buy a Surefire flashlight.

cheers

(In his best voice rendition of Mae West...)

Hey there, honey, was that a flashlight exploding in your pocket - or are ya just glad ta see me?

Sorry, but it's the very first thing I thought of when I read the original post!

Edited by RockyRaab