New 24 Hour Record For Finding Most Caches (312) Has Been Set

Good morning from Dallas!

I am geoPirat from Germany and am here to visit the Geowoodstock IV event and to meet with old friends from all over the US. Together with my last years teammates Huskie, IceCremMan and Cache&Keri, we held the 24 hour record with 263 caches.

The record had been set last year around GW3 in Jacksonville with 2 US and 2 german cachers (details http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...topic=99629&hl= ) with 263 caches in 24 hours.

Just wanted to let you know that a group of cachers (including me) has set the new 24 hour record for finding the most caches in a 24 hour period today.

Details for the new record . . .

The group of cachers:

Ed. The AlabamaRambler

Max, Nannypoppy

Mike from Cache & Keri

Golf from GolfNutz

Roland, darth_maul_3

Tammo, Spuchtfink

Michael, MZielinski

Carsten, geoPirat

(the first 4 cachers are US, the last 4 cachers are from Germany)

Vehicle: Chevrolet 12 pass. van

Units: Garmin 60C, 60CS, 60CSX and 2610

Caches found: 312

Caches with DNF: more than 40

All numbers are preliminary as I might have made counting mistakes during the run.

How: with the help of the team members and local cachers, planning & planning & planning and thanks to the owners of the caches this run could be done. Thank you to all those who helped us achieving that goal, we had a great time and much fun.

Where: Dallas / Fort Worth Area

When: 20th of may starting at 09:10 till 21st of may at 09:10

Rules of the recrun: See postings in the TXGA forum / Geowoodstock4 (you have to be registered to be able to access the forums, I think).

Excuse my typo, but I am tired and will go to bed after the 24 hour run now.

Thanks again for all the help and friendly support and to the cache-hiders ! ! ! ! !

Happy hunting!

P.S.: Before posting questions you may want to check the forum thread of last years record run (link above), quite many questions were answered there - of course, not all :-)

WOWEEE!

Carsten,

I honestly didn't think DFW was cache rich enough to pull that off. You guys musta been loafing in Jacksonville! :)

Way to go buddy. Lookin' foreword to seein' ya again at GW4. It's always a party when The Germans arrive.

Sn :D:ninja: g

Units: Garmin 60C, 60CS, 60CSX and 2610

No Magellans? :P Garmin should use you guys in an advertisement. I'm imagining a print ad like this:

A picture of you guys standing around a cache with your receivers in hand. Then at the bottom of the page it would the Garmin logo and read "The choice of World Record Geocachers" and an explanation of how you used Garmin to pull off the record. Or something like that.

It would make a pretty good TV commercial too. Video of you guys in action, a little narration about your accomplishment, and then making the point about Garmin GPS receivers being up to the task of routing and leading you guys to a world record number of caches in 24 hours.

Edited by geognerd

Hey, Mike get back to Florida and fix Cross Creek willya? :P Out loafering finding caches when ya got some on the disabled list at home. Sheesh.

Congrats to all, and get some sleep. I understand the plan NOW is to sleep then attempt to find 200 caches a day for the next 5 days for a nice round 1000?!?!? nuts, just nuts

See you soon!!

Well done to an outstanding achievement. :P

Looking forward to meeting you next weekend and following in some of your footsteps over a longer period.

One question, How long did it take to log them all?

Congratulations :P

my all-time record setting day was 13 caches, and these guys averaged that ever hour...WOW!

it blows my mind to think about it...congratulations!

Jamie - NFA

I think my record was 8 in a day - so ditto on the wow!

Congratulations.

Edited by briansnat
Congratulations.

I'm puzzled. Why are we congratulating people on behavior that continues to encourage the explosion of lame urban caches?

I'm just puzzled. That's all.

I agree with fizzymagic. What's the point of logging 312 caches in a day? You can't remember each one individually and probably saw no value in the hide other than log. What is the point of doing this? If you traded items in each cache, and note which items you traded in each individual log, that would be one thing. But I am sure the logs will be cookie cutter and add no value to the cache.

Here's something to try, see how many quality caches you can hide in a day that aren't micros. That would be something that helps better the game.

This kind of thing just detracts from the real point of geocaching for most people.

I'd be willing to bet that they did not, in fact, sign the logs. They probably used stickers. Signing your name, after all, takes up precious seconds. :cry:

So you think they even touched all the caches, instead of "logging with the permission of the owner". :)

oh, here's his cookie cutter log responses, I guess all 312 will be identical. My question is, why even bother?

Found as Hanseatic Cache Team from Germany (HCT) on our first day here. THX for cache! No trade.

5:34 pm - 2006-05-18

After a long flight from Frankfurt, we have start our cache assault in Dallas / Texas.

A hearty CONGRATULATIONS from a prior holder of the 24-hour record, one who hand-scribbled on each and every log, and who remembers a good number of the caches from that fun event to this day.

Going after as many caches as possible in a day is a challenge, and a heck of a lot of fun. There doesn't need to be any other reason for it than that. The same can be said for hiking 12 miles to a remote cache up a river valley or at the top of a mountain, or solving a bunch of difficulty 5 puzzles.

Congrats for rising to the challenge. I know for sure that your group must have had a lot of fun.

Congratulations. Once on vavcation I did 40 caches in 8 hours, didn't plan to its just the way it worked out and I know how beat I was.

As for the rest of the whiners;

A. Yes they touched every cache.

B. Sometimes people do it for the numbers, so what. Other people Geocache for a multitude of reasons, yuo may not agree with some of those either.

C. No this is not going to encourage more "lame" caches. People hide what they like to find, if they find easy caches they will hide easy caches. One group doing a big numbers run in one day is not going to change that.

D. Given the degree of preplanning that is involved in this you should try something similar and see if its as easy as you think it is.

Congratulations.

I'm puzzled. Why are we congratulating people on behavior that continues to encourage the explosion of lame urban caches?

I see the group who set the record as exploiting an existing situation, not encouraging it. I really don't think people are going to see this and start setting out hundreds of lame micros in hopes someone will come over from Germany to set the new record in their town.

C. No this is not going to encourage more "lame" caches. People hide what they like to find, if they find easy caches they will hide easy caches.

I disagree with this. People hide what they find. Its why there are so many regional styles. You can't tell me that everyone in northern NJ loves regular caches, but as soon as you cross the river and go into PA, everyone there loves micros.

Its basically a matter of what kinds of caches the "pioneer" cache hiders were placing in an area. If they were micros, then the next generation tends to hide micros. If they were regular caches, you tend to see a lot of that.

Congratulations.

I agree with fizzymagic. What's the point of logging 312 caches in a day? You can't remember each one individually and probably saw no value in the hide other than log. What is the point of doing this? If you traded items in each cache, and note which items you traded in each individual log, that would be one thing. But I am sure the logs will be cookie cutter and add no value to the cache.

Here's something to try, see how many quality caches you can hide in a day that aren't micros. That would be something that helps better the game.

This kind of thing just detracts from the real point of geocaching for most people.

Well, as many here know, no one has railed against the explosion of lame micros lately more than I have. Here's my take on the "new world record":

(1) It *IS* an impressive achievement if your sole objective in a day is to crank the numbers. It takes a tremendous amount of planning beforehand, and focus while in the process, and endurance overall, to accomplish this. Plus, I suspect that the group who accomplished it had one heckuva good time while they were at it (and knowing TheAlabamaRambler personally, I would expect nothing less!).

(2) The "real point of geocaching for most people" has indeed become cranking numbers in many cases. The lame micro explosion, geocoin icon swap meets, pocket cache logging, etc., has perpetuated that. It's why I've stated in other threads that I take very little stock in anyone's stats cranked after mid '04 (my unofficial date for the Micro Spew explosion - yeah, they're "real stats" in many cases, but how'd you get 'em, as compared to those of us who cranked our stats pre mid '04?). There's still plenty of room in our great game for "quality caching", but sadly, the numbers explosion has created white noise that one must fight through ever harder in order to enjoy.

Wow! Congratulations! Most I have ever found in one day was seven or eight (with a friend while on a trip to ID/WY), and I believe that my wife Sue has found about 27 in one day, while "power caching" on a "power cache trip" in an SUV traveling across the state of Maryland with at team of very experienced and dedicated local cachers (can you tell that such "power hunts" are soooo not my world? :cry: ) We do have friends who have found over 60 in a day, and one friend (a high numbers person) often finds over 100 caches in a day. Amazing, but I would not attempt any of those feats for a million dollars!

Edited by Vinny & Sue Team
We do have friends who have found over 60 in a day, and one friend (a high numbers person) often finds over 100 caches in a day. Amazing, but I would not attempt any of those feats for a million dollars!

Agreed (except the part about the million dollars). I love to hike, but I don't think I would have enjoyed the Bataan Death March. To me this would be the geocaching equivalent. Still, for those who are into it, that's great. I'm sure they had a blast and it is quite a record.

Minor correction to team names,

The group of cachers:

Ed, The AlabamaRambler (AKA NatureFish)

Max, 'Poppy' of Nonnypoppy

Mike from Cache&Keri

Mike, 'Golf' from GolfNutz

Roland, darth_maul_3

Tammo, Spuchtfink

Michael, MZielinski

Carsten, geoPirat

All caches were signed DRR (Dallas Record Run) for the team.

Many thanks to all who helped put this together, and especially to my team-mates!

Four Germans, four Americans, a big van and lots of geocaches to find - now that's a recipe for a great weekend!

24 Hours (9 a.m. Saturday to 9 a.m. Sunday, we broke the old record in the 18th hour!)

312 Caches, (yes, we found every one - not one was logged without signing)

44 DNFs

312 Miles

More laughs than I can count

Lots of wonderful memories

= Priceless

Thanks,

Ed

Edited by NatureFish

Congratulations ya'll!

For you that don't see the point,,, you're free to think this and that's your perogative. But there's no reason to go bashing others because they had fun playing the game this way. As far as the lame micos, i admit that i too don't care for them much but i can certainly see how much of a benefit to the game they were in this situation. See, theres good in everything, even lame micros! :cry:

We find it amazing that people could find in 24 hours more caches than we have found in a year of (what we think of as) pretty avid caching. So wow & congratulations!

[its basically a matter of what kinds of caches the "pioneer" cache hiders were placing in an area. If they were micros, then the next generation tends to hide micros. If they were regular caches, you tend to see a lot of that.

We agree and we're just glad & lucky the "pioneers" in Hawaii set such good examples. :cry:

Huge congratulations goes out to you!! I have the pleasure of personally knowing 2 of the cachers who went on this run and I can vouch for them that they enjoy what they do. This is a GAME and the GAME is set up so you can play it as you see fit. So what if they like the numbers, that's the way they choose to play and there's nothing at all wrong with it. The ones I know happen to be wonderful people and there is no reason what so ever for you to come down on them just because they choose to play a little different than you do! :cry:

Now, having said that, I do wish to congratulate you on this awesome achievement. I must admit I'm a little envious of you and would have loved to have been there with ya.

Demonic

So many things to comment on...I need to learn how to do multiple quotes...

I disagree with Briansnat a bit on how the "pioneers" of an area set things up. At least here in our area. We have had a lot of new cachers in our area, and everyone seems to develop their idea of what caching is. One of my real good friends that I introduced to caching hides exclusively skirt lifter/guard rail/ fence cap hides. He drives me crazy! I keep bugging him to step it up, but he keeps getting raves from other cachers who prefer this type of hide...go figure. It's not for a lack of other examples in the area...

Anyway, back OT. How exactly was this record accomplished? I personally think it would be fun to try it, but I can't get my mind around the logistics. At 4.6 minutes per cache, it doesn't seem possible to visit that many caches and maintain that average. Were all of these caches new, and placed at the minimum distance?

The only way I can figure it working is having the van drop some members off to search, and then continuing on dropping off other members. Then, they would circle back around and start picking them up again, whether or not the cache was found.

If that's the case, I can see how it would be possible, but I would only personally log the one's I was actually at for the find.

Anyway, back OT. How exactly was this record accomplished? I personally think it would be fun to try it, but I can't get my mind around the logistics. At 4.6 minutes per cache, it doesn't seem possible to visit that many caches and maintain that average. Were all of these caches new, and placed at the minimum distance?

The only way I can figure it working is having the van drop some members off to search, and then continuing on dropping off other members. Then, they would circle back around and start picking them up again, whether or not the cache was found.

As I understand it, when these records are set its by a geocacher or group of geocachers going together from cache to cache. They don't split up.

There was a pretty good article in Today's Cacher written by the record holders the last time the record was set. It takes weeks of preparation with the help of locals and they do have a driver who knows the area and is in on the planning. Its a major undertaking that involves extensive cache selection (weeding out high difficulty caches and those with recent DNFs) and route planning (taking into consideration local traffic patterns).

I can't speak for this record setting team, but I know all the previous record setting attempts were totally legit and I have no reason to doubt this group.

As I understand it, when these records are set its by a geocacher or group of geocachers going together from cache to cache. They don't split up.

There was a pretty good article in Today's Cacher written by the record holders the last time the record was set. It takes weeks of preparation with the help of locals and they do have a driver who knows the area and is in on the planning. Its a major undertaking that involves extensive cache selection (weeding out high difficulty caches and those with recent DNFs) and route planning (taking into consideration local traffic patterns).

I can't speak for this record setting team, but I know all the previous record setting attempts were totally legit and I have no reason to doubt this group.

It's not that I was questioning them, it's just that I was having trouble grasping how you can possibly keep a 4.6 minute average. (I usually can't find a 1/1 in four minutes even if I start 200 feet away. :) ) Wow!

edited to take my new post out of the middle of Briansnat's quote... :D

Edited by Cornerstone4

Minor correction to team names,

The group of cachers:

Ed, The AlabamaRambler (AKA NatureFish)

Max, 'Poppy' of Nonnypoppy

Mike from Cache&Keri

Mike, 'Golf' from GolfNutz

Roland, darth_maul_3

Tammo, Spuchtfink

Michael, MZielinski

Carsten, geoPirat

All caches were signed DRR (Dallas Record Run) for the team.

Many thanks to all who helped put this together, and especially to my team-mates!

Four Germans, four Americans, a big van and lots of geocaches to find - now that's a recipe for a great weekend!

24 Hours (9 a.m. Saturday to 9 a.m. Sunday, we broke the old record in the 18th hour!)

312 Caches, (yes, we found every one - not one was logged without signing)

44 DNFs

312 Miles

More laughs than I can count

Lots of wonderful memories

= Priceless

Thanks,

Ed

Hold on, hold on...did all 8 cachers get in and out of a van at every stop so they can all sign the logbook? Or did just one person jump out and scribble 'DRR'?? I can't seem to find any cacher with the name DRR in the group...

If they didn't all sign their names in the logbooks, then what do those numbers REALLY mean?

Let's ask the expert...

ac2bfbff-6f76-4317-8dee-e5c05421f51e.jpg