Ram Mount Has Trashed Part Of My Unit.....

I have a RAM mount for my GPSMAP 76CS and it has really messed up the rubber strip that runs around the outside of the unit. The thing fits so tightly that putting the unit in and taking it out has destroyed the rubber strip. I'm now missing appx. the lower third of the strip on both sides and the piece left on the bottom is coming off. I can switch mounts but I'm wondering about the water tightness of the unit with the rubber strip missing.

I checked the Garmin site and they list a cost of $175 for a non-warranty repair on this unit. OUCH! The unit is less than a year old but I doubt they will fix it as a warranty item.

I would recommend not getting a RAM mount if you have one of these units. :laughing:

Call Garmin. You might be surprised. The rubber around my Garmin Vista C was coming loose. I got an RMA and sent it in. They replaced my GPSr, which was still working perfectly, but had a few "geocaching scars." :laughing:

A friend had a very well-used, nicked and dinged, scratched-screen GPS Map60CS. She sent it in because the letters were coming off the buttons. They replaced her GPSr with a brand new, unscratched unit. :laughing:

Garmin has fantastic customer service.

I have a RAM mount for my GPSMAP 76CS and it has really messed up the rubber strip that runs around the outside of the unit. The thing fits so tightly that putting the unit in and taking it out has destroyed the rubber strip. I'm now missing appx. the lower third of the strip on both sides and the piece left on the bottom is coming off. I can switch mounts but I'm wondering about the water tightness of the unit with the rubber strip missing.

How do you remove your 76CS from the RAM cradle? I've used my 76C with a RAM mount for over a year and the rubber strip is in perfect condition. I inserted/removed mine my spreading the two tabs at the bottom of the cradle and slipping in the 76C. It's definitely a two-handed operation but it does hold the 76 very securely.

I'm wondering about how you re/re your 76 because someone else posted a while back how his RAM mount is wearing off the bottom rubber of his 60C. Well, I just bought a 60CSx and a RAM cradle for it. When I first used it, I assumed you had to bend the RAM mount's bottom lip in order to remove the 60CSx because that's how it sounded like the poster was wearing out the rubber on his 60. It was very difficult to re/re this way, and I soon discovered that it was much easier to push the top rear tab backwards and then pull the top of the 60 forward, and then lift it straight up and out of the cradle. This put zero wear and tear on the 60's bottom rubber.

I've been very pleased with RAM's mounting system for my 76C (since sold) and my 60CSx.

GeoBC

How do you remove your 76CS from the RAM cradle? I've used my 76C with a RAM mount for over a year and the rubber strip is in perfect condition. I inserted/removed mine my spreading the two tabs at the bottom of the cradle and slipping in the 76C. It's definitely a two-handed operation but it does hold the 76 very securely.

I'm wondering about how you re/re your 76 because someone else posted a while back how his RAM mount is wearing off the bottom rubber of his 60C. Well, I just bought a 60CSx and a RAM cradle for it. When I first used it, I assumed you had to bend the RAM mount's bottom lip in order to remove the 60CSx because that's how it sounded like the poster was wearing out the rubber on his 60. It was very difficult to re/re this way, and I soon discovered that it was much easier to push the top rear tab backwards and then pull the top of the 60 forward, and then lift it straight up and out of the cradle. This put zero wear and tear on the 60's bottom rubber.

I've been very pleased with RAM's mounting system for my 76C (since sold) and my 60CSx.

GeoBC

That's exactly how I do it. You spread the mount at the bottom and slip the unit up into it. Mine is so tight it's hard to get it in - I ruined one mount bending it too far to try and make it easier to get the unit in. I replaced it (no wear on the rubber yet at that point) and the new one is even harder to bend out and I didn't want to break it too. The result was that the rubber got trashed.

GeoBC

I notice that you have found (or at least logged) 118 caches and have been a member since 2001. That doesn't equate to a huge number of times of putting the unit into the mount and taking it out again. Granted, I don't know what other uses you make of the unit. I've only had my unit since August 2005 and have logged just short of 500 caches. That is at least 1000 times the unit has been inserted and removed - not to mention the 6 state trip I used it on. If I just went out for a quickie FTF I would have put the unit into the mount, removed it at the cache, put it back in the mount after finding the cache, and removed it at home or wherever else I went. That is 2 insertions and 2 removals just for one cache - my estimate of at least 1000 times is actually pretty low. Call it 1200 - 1500 times of either insertion or removal in 9 months. It has definitely trashed the rubber.

I notice that you have found (or at least logged) 118 caches and have been a member since 2001. That doesn't equate to a huge number of times of putting the unit into the mount and taking it out again. Granted, I don't know what other uses you make of the unit. I've only had my unit since August 2005 and have logged just short of 500 caches. That is at least 1000 times the unit has been inserted and removed - not to mention the 6 state trip I used it on. If I just went out for a quickie FTF I would have put the unit into the mount, removed it at the cache, put it back in the mount after finding the cache, and removed it at home or wherever else I went. That is 2 insertions and 2 removals just for one cache - my estimate of at least 1000 times is actually pretty low. Call it 1200 - 1500 times of either insertion or removal in 9 months. It has definitely trashed the rubber.

I use my GPS far more often than my finds log would indicate. I would guess that insert/remove cycle count would be around 500. Definitely less than your estimate, but still, I have zero wear on my 76's rubber.

BTW, since I've sold my 76, you're welcome to have my RAM cradle (FREE) if you pay the shipping. Maybe mine is more pliable than yours?

GeoBC

I just called Garmin and asked about getting my unit repaired. They gave me a RMA and said it would be covered under warranty. I can't believe this company! I **must** keep it for my upcoming vacation but the tech said it is no problem to send it in two weeks from now with the RMA he issued. Awesome. After my vacation I'll send it in and, while I'm going through GPS deprivation symptoms I'll order a GARMIN mount so that I don't have any further problems.

Garmin's legendary support comes through. :(:P:rolleyes::):(:D

I just called Garmin and asked about getting my unit repaired. They gave me a RMA and said it would be covered under warranty. I can't believe this company! I **must** keep it for my upcoming vacation but the tech said it is no problem to send it in two weeks from now with the RMA he issued. Awesome. After my vacation I'll send it in and, while I'm going through GPS deprivation symptoms I'll order a GARMIN mount so that I don't have any further problems.

That's great news. And you told them that you think the problem was caused by the RAM mount? What a great company. I've had a unit repaired by them when it was out of warranty and I was expecting to pay for the repair; another time they offered a GPS upgrade when they released an upgraded version of a GPS I recently (back then) bought. Not too many companies will do that.

GeoBC

My RAM mount screwed up my Vista' srubber protector too. Garmin replaced it. Finally one of the RAM tabs broke. Instead of replacing the cradle, I kept it and it was easier to insert and remove the GPS.

Then I got a PPC with GPS and a new RAM cradle for that. It damaged the PPC like the Vista. I finally got rid of the RAM cradle, kept the RAM bracket and suction cup and attached it to an Arkon mount that came free with my CF type GPS. While the Arkon latching is not as strong as a RAM, it's OK for use in my car and just plain easier to insert and remove. And it doesn't damage the PPC.

I suppose RAM mounts might be OK for bicycles because of the "bumps", they are just damaging overkill for use attached to a car windshield.

I checked the Garmin site and they list a cost of $175 for a non-warranty repair on this unit. OUCH! The unit is less than a year old but I doubt they will fix it as a warranty item.

I would recommend not getting a RAM mount if you have one of these units. :lol:

For general use in the car, etc. I leave the screw-in knob off my 60 Cx and put s strong rubber band through the RAM mount ( where the knob would go) and pull it over the antenna on the GPSr. This holds the unit pretty securely and doesn't trash the unit when removing.