Canadian Geodetic Benchmark

slippery_1

I was out just looking around for a place to make a new Geocache hide and came across this at a local historic place here in Northern Manitoba.

It is a brass Plaque witht e following words,

" Geodetic Survey Of Canada"

"The Elevation of this Benchmark is 883.964 Feet"

"Above Mean Sealevel"

3af4cfc5-c497-48df-b954-657f86f7f950.jpg

As well as this one,

fd165c65-93bb-4f38-a8c8-cc24f19414f3.jpg

These are on our local Train Station wall as you exit the building to the tracks.

Nothing else recorded or placed to indicacte when or how they where placed here.

Any Comment would be appreciated.

There used to be an old locationless cache for the Canadian Gravity Standardization network. Basically they are plaques placed throughout Canada where 'g' has been precisely measured. There are 4 markers in "The Pas"

This one looks like its the one you found:

http://luna.geod.nrcan.gc.ca/database7/gra...94561960EN.html

The benchmark appears to be BM 442-D-2, not quite sure where to search for that index, but I'm sure there is a database available somewhere that will give you all the information you never wanted to know about that point :laughing:.

There used to be an old locationless cache for the Canadian Gravity Standardization network. Basically they are plaques placed throughout Canada where 'g' has been precisely measured. There are 4 markers in "The Pas"

This one looks like its the one you found:

http://luna.geod.nrcan.gc.ca/database7/gra...94561960EN.html

The benchmark appears to be BM 442-D-2, not quite sure where to search for that index, but I'm sure there is a database available somewhere that will give you all the information you never wanted to know about that point :laughing:.

Yes that is the one, and all this just from a couple of pictures and scetchy details...I am impressed...TY.

Still having problems identifying benchmarks.

I apparently lack the skills to search the BM numbers and have no idea how to find Canadian BM data so I can record them as found.

Help me please cause sometimes a little bit of knowledge can be a dangerous thing...I am living proof.

Edited by slippery_1

slippery_1 -

The geocaching benchmark site is for U.S. benchmarks only.

For Canadian benchmarks, and how to log them and to find references to the several Canadian benchmark databases, please see my message to you above. The Waymarking site has references to the Canadian databases and you can log your find at the Waymarking site I referenced above.

On the waymark category page, click on "more detail" to see the references to the Canadian databases.

Since Groundspeak never took in the data from these databases, there is no 'lookup' system either in the geocaching side nor the Waymarking side of Groundspeak's websites to look up Canadian benchmarks. If you find them, you can log them at the Waymarking site and you can use the Canadian database information to help you find them.

Edited by Black Dog Trackers

slippery_1 -

The geocaching benchmark site is for U.S. benchmarks only.

For Canadian benchmarks, and how to log them and to find references to the several Canadian benchmark databases, please see my message to you above. The Waymarking site has references to the Canadian databases and you can log your find at the Waymarking site I referenced above.

On the waymark category page, click on "more detail" to see the references to the Canadian databases.

Since Groundspeak never took in the data from these databases, there is no 'lookup' system either in the geocaching side nor the Waymarking side of Groundspeak's websites to look up Canadian benchmarks. If you find them, you can log them at the Waymarking site and you can use the Canadian database information to help you find them.

Any hints on figuring out which of the many databases a given BM might be listed in (i.e. what type of BM it is?)