Custom Waypoint Icons On Garmin 60cx

Mapsource has some waypoint icons that I wish to use on my 60cX. For example, there is a "mile marker" waypoint icon in Mapsource that is not available for waypoints on the 60cX. If I assign the mile marker icon to a waypoint in Mapsource, and upload the waypoint to the 60cX, the icon does not match because there isn't one on the unit.

Custom waypoint icons - I can do that, but my question is this: is there a directory of waypoint icons that Mapsource uses that I could reuse for the custom waypoint icons? For example, is there a mile marker icon image (jpg, perhaps) on the hard drive that can be reused as a custom waypoint icon?

None that I'm aware of. But if you need to, then you can create your own version of it by going into MapSource and doing a screen capture (screenshot) of the desired icon in MapSource, then copy just the little icon - paste it into a new image file and whittle it down to 16x16 pixels. That's how I made a lot of mine.

I THINK there also might be a page on Garmin's Web site (or somewhere else on the Net) that has all of Garmin's icon images... not sure where though...

Edited by Neo_Geo

Thanks. What program did you use to edit the image after pasting? What is the trick for rescaling it to 16x16 while retaining the original horizontal/vertical relationship (not squish it or flatten it)?

Also, did I not read somewhere that icon images can now be larger than 16x16?

For scaling-down (shrinking), I use Microsoft's Photo Editor program which USED to come with their MS Office product. Don't know why they took it out!?!

For editing and trimming around the edges, I use the MS Paint program. Nuthin' fancy - the two work great together, and do pretty much all I need to do with images...

For scaling-down (shrinking), I use Microsoft's Photo Editor program which USED to come with their MS Office product. Don't know why they took it out!?!

For editing and trimming around the edges, I use the MS Paint program. Nuthin' fancy - the two work great together, and do pretty much all I need to do with images...

Neo Geo - I was looking at the custom icons on a bunch of old posts and thought I saw you post to those.. for the custom geocaching icons that are floating around (some sets have 24 and then there looks like an extended set too that adds a bunch), have you seen anywhere a description of each one? I guess if you've been caching a long time, then it's obvious, but for those of us who are newer, any suggestions? TIA

I screen printed a waypoint icon from Mapsource and pasted it into Paint. I used the eraser to eliminate the extraneous graphics. Now I have a perfect icon in Paint, but I can't find a way to (a) scale it down to 16x16 and then (:laughing: save just the icon image as a .bmp file. I did see there is Image > Attributes and Image > Stretch/Skew option.

However, no matter what I try, I always seem to end up with a .bmp that has lots of white space surrounding the icon. Is there a way to do what I want with only Paint?

Use the select tool in Paint and select the tiniest area around your icon image - and then "edit" and "copy"

Then to get the "Canvas" down to 16x16

9b68de7e-d483-4860-8d2c-b179a5f07b53.jpg

Then "edit" and "paste". do NOT enlarge the area. Once image is pasted, click and drag it around into place. Then save it.

For all of you who want a good program to make custom Icon for wayoint for the GPS

Try out this program: Axialis Iconworkshop 6.0 it is available as a trial and I tried it and is it way better than using Paint and you can made very nice icon.

http://www.axialis.com

For waypoint Icon for the GPS here what it need:

16x16 pixels

256 Colors

Transparency use the color (RGB, 255,0,255) violet

To transfer your custom bmp to the GPS you need to download Ximage program from Garmin.

Make a search for Ximage at garmin website.

Hope this help