Gps Travel Maps

vespax

Hey everyone,

Larks and I have been hard at work this week developing a new website. It is not exactly geocaching related, but rather GPS map related. But some of you might find it interesting and useful. We are trying to get word out about it while we are adding more data to it, so please browse through and let us know what you think.

GPSTravelMaps

We are going to have more stuff coming soon, but for now we have this:

Garmin compatible maps of: Cape Town, Cape Town Topo, New York City and Las Vegas.

GPS tracks of hikes in Cape Town.

Thanks and hope you all like it.

Vespax

Nice work guys. This is totally kick a**.

What source do you get the Digital Elevation Data from for those maps. I was messing about with building my own a few months back but lost interest. Looking at your wicked CT topo has given me a few ideas for my next SA trip.

-Gen.Rick

Nice work guys. This is totally kick a**.

What source do you get the Digital Elevation Data from for those maps. I was messing about with building my own a few months back but lost interest. Looking at your wicked CT topo has given me a few ideas for my next SA trip.

-Gen.Rick

Thanks Rick. Please spread the word around London. ;)

DEM.... I could tell you, but then would have to kill you. ;) Just kidding. USGS 1 arc second DEM. I then convert it around and clean it up to create the topo lines for the GPS. I am working on a cleaner version of the Cape Town topo that will be available later. Clouds mess up the elevation aspects of the DEM in areas.

If you have any ideas to help us make the site better, please share. gpstravelmaps@gmail.com

If you want to help contribute data, also please do and let us know. Thanks.

Hi.

In case you missed it yesterday, we had a data update on the site.

I finished work on the Mt. Kilimanjaro contour map for your Garmin. As far as I know, this is the first one available for the mountain. Noddy, now for your next hike up? :anitongue:

We are also very happy to offer the entire country of New Zealand including local level roads. Big thanks goes out to NZ Open GPS Project for their work and commitment. Now to get a ticket to go......

We have recieved lots of great response so far to the project. People have been visiting from North/Central/South America, Europe, Africa and Australia/New Zealand. So thanks to all.

We are working to offer tons more maps from all around the world for your holidays. Stay tuned.

Thanks Vespa, now I will have to have a case of beer before promising to do that hill again. I do have the way points for a few of the Camp sites if anyone wants them.

If anyone wants to do it, it is an amazing experience that I will never forget. I dragged my old GPS, aka the brick, all the way to the top.

Thanks Noddy,

Finding Google Earth particularly helpful in this repect. For Kilimanjaro, I got all the waypoints for the camps and points of interest as well as the track line!

Very helpful!

Maybe we should get all this data together and create a proper Kili map?

I'm sure many people would find this a helpful map to have!