Change to Cookies?

Jaz666

Were any changes made to the cookie handling in the recent upgrade?

Firefox 1.5.0.6 no longer remembers cookies on geocaching.com after you close the browser (I discovered it after logging out of my main account and logging into my daughters).

The cookies on forums.Groundspeak.com still work fine, and there doesn't seem to be a problem with IE (I haven't fully tested IE though as I have with Firefox, see my reply below).

Edited by Jaz666

Firefox 1.5.0.6 no longer remembers cookies on geocaching.com after you close the browser (I discovered it after logging out of my main account and logging into my daughters).

The cookies on forums.Groundspeak.com still work fine, and there doesn't seem to be a problem with IE.

Working fine on my browser.

Best way to test....

- Log out, close firefox

- open firefox, go to gc.com

- login again, close firefox

- open firefox again, go to gc.com

It's at this point that gc.com asks me to login again.

Logging in creates a cookie with a life of one month. When closing and opening firefox the cookie is still present, but once I visit gc.com the cookie gets removed.

I have had that problem all along - even if I use IE, Firefox or the knock-off version of Netscape that I have with my ISP. Everyone told me before that it is an issue with my security levels. So I went and changed everything I possibly could in each browser, but with no luck.

Now my Beaniehut.com, Yahoo email, Princess Bride (movie), Girl Scout site, eBay, IMDB, Neopets site ALL keep my login cookies, the only one that doesn't is my banking (duh!) and GC.com...I am still stumped as to why it never has worked for me!

I use the Opera browser and I'm not having any problem with it remembering me. :D

However, when I tried to check this problem in Firefox, I got the following error.

Server Application Unavailable

The web application you are attempting to access on this web server is currently unavailable. Please hit the "Refresh" button in your web browser to retry your request.

Administrator Note: An error message detailing the cause of this specific request failure can be found in the application event log of the web server. Please review this log entry to discover what caused this error to occur.

:(

I just now started having this problem in IE. Everytime I close the browser I am forced to log back in.

Me, too. I even deleted all old cookies from Groundspeak and/or geocaching, but the problem continues...

(using IE6.0)

The issue looks to me like "session" cookies....

As long as I have IE open, I can return to GC.com and be logged in. Leave, come back, leave, come back....stays logged in.

If I close IE and reopen it I lose the login.

I just now started having this problem in IE. Everytime I close the browser I am forced to log back in.

I'm having the same problem too. I notice when I go to the Google Maps, it says I'm not logged in too and that I need to log in. I try, but it never lets me. It's a cookie thing is all. I'm sure it'll be fixed soon.

IE 6.0 used to work fine with me – doesn’t work since the upgrade. Every time I open a new browser I have to log in again – even though I say remember me. I tried setting my privacy down to “Accept All Cookies”, and even cleared my cache, but it still requires me to log in every time I open a new browser.

Hey – it just started working again, thanks for the fix! :(

IE 6.0 used to work fine with me – doesn’t work since the upgrade. Every time I open a new browser I have to log in again – even though I say remember me. I tried setting my privacy down to “Accept All Cookies”, and even cleared my cache, but it still requires me to log in every time I open a new browser.

Hey – it just started working again, thanks for the fix! :(

Workin' for me now, too. Thanks! :D

This might actually be a browser-to-computer-specific problem, rather than a browser-to-website-related one. We use Firefox most of the time: I use nothing but Firefox unless some unsophisticated website refuses to let me; my wife uses IE about half the time, as that's what she uses at work. We have two computers. On "my" computer (where our digital photos are), Windows XP remembers our log-on info, so all I have to do is click the "enter" button once the page loads; it's this way for a number of websites, not jsut GC. On "our" computer, we never have to log in on a lot of sites; many of the ones that require me to go to a log-in page on my computer have our info already loaded on our computer. So, it's a computer-specific problem, as I use nothing but Firefox 1.0 on both machines. I keep the settings different on my machine, as it is accessed by kids and grandkids more often than the other one is. So I would suggest that anyone who is having this problem should check their cookie settings; they ae probably not what you think they are. And yes, browser settings *can* be changed when you aren't expecting them to be changed. Sometimes they get changed when Windows upgrades are installed. I don't know why this is.

The cookies on forums.Groundspeak.com still work fine, and there doesn't seem to be a problem with IE (I haven't fully tested IE though as I have with Firefox, see my reply below).

Yep, I noticed it at work today on my laptop. Tried it on the desktop, then just now here at home. Using IE 6. I thought it might be a recent Windows update (they tend to screw up things), but I see other browsers are having problems as well.

Brian

no problems at all here. so what am I doing wrong? :laughing:

I've never had a problem staying logged into the site until the upgrade. I didn't change my browser or my settings - I've been using Firefox 1.5.0.6 for some time now. But since the site upgrade, I can't stay logged in. It's not a session thing, either - every time I exit the geocaching.com site, even if I don't close out my browser, I have to relog back in if I go back to the site.

I'm having the same problem too. I notice when I go to the Google Maps, it says I'm not logged in too and that I need to log in. I try, but it never lets me. It's a cookie thing is all. I'm sure it'll be fixed soon.

I having the same problem with Google Maps. Everything else seems OK. Google Maps keeps telling me I'm not logged in, but when I log in and go back to Google Maps, it still says not logged in.

I having the same problem with Google Maps. Everything else seems OK. Google Maps keeps telling me I'm not logged in, but when I log in and go back to Google Maps, it still says not logged in.

Ditto here - only a problem with google maps - can't log in to add caches to a bookmark, or see found caches. Not just a Firefox issue - same problem in IE.

Edited by Dosido