Difference between a multi and a puzzle cache?

TroutGuy78

Okay,

I believe there should be a clear difference between labeling something a mult-cache and a puzzle cache. It's a bummer to run a pocket query for multi-caches and get back a handful that start their descriptions with "CACHE IS NOT AT THESE COORDS" and then proceed how you have to "solve" for the coords by either doing some math or going to point A, reading a sign, plug in numbers for letters, and then set off to find the FIRST cache--all of which to me means solving a puzzle. I think a multi-cache should start where the coords bring someone and go from there--fine if you have to solve reasonable clues to find the next cache, but I should at least be able to start where my GPS takes me. With a puzzle cache, I'll know that I need to solve something first and can plan to do so. Anybody think the moderators should set clearer guidelines between multi and puzzle by reading through the descriptions and posting accordingly? -TroutGuy78

Yeah, those are definitely puzzle caches. A puzzle can be a multicache, or a traditional cache but anything that requires 'solving' skills or putting numbers together should be labled as a puzzle in my opinion.

The one cache I've placed (so far) I consider a puzzle multicache. You need to visit three different locations to get clues, which is why it's a multi. But the fact that you need to put those clues together to get the final coordinates makes it's a puzzle cache.

The guidelines define an off-set cache as a variation of the multi cache - note, this DOES involve some arithmetic.

Offset Caches

Offset caches are a variation on multi-caches. They are listed as a multi-cache when selecting a cache type. They are not found by simply going to some coordinates and finding a cache there. With the offset cache the published coordinates could be of an existing historical monument, plaque, or even a benchmark that you would like to have your cache hunter visit. At this spot, the hunter looks for numbers or information already appearing on the marker or on some part of the marker or site (geocachers NEVER deface public or private property). The geocacher is then able to manipulate these numbers using instructions posted on the cache page to continue the hunt.

sounds pretty much like what you're describing

how you have to "solve" for the coords by either doing some math or going to point A, reading a sign, plug in numbers for letters, and then set off to find the FIRST cache--all of which to me means solving a puzzle.

A true puzzle cache requires work at home (usually) and going to the posted coords will net you exactly nothing. An offset multi takes the start coords and some formula on the cache page and nets you a cache.

I have seen some caches that were really borderline, in the sense the the gyrations in the field to get a second set of coords were complex, or accessing a cache where you might have to solve a tavern puzzle to get by a lock, for instance, made the distinction a bit fuzzy.

I like the distinction that if "It ain't there, it's a puzzle."

My most recent puzzle cache is a multi, and I scratched my head for a moment when selecting it's type. Seeing how I spent months preparing the damned thing, it MUST be a puzzle cache. But still, it made me wonder: Which classification wins out?

Your definition works well for me. If you can't get to stage one without figuring out the puzzle, it's a puzzle cache. If you have to go to stage one to figure out stage two, it's a multi.