Stat Box

vanman_30

http://www.geocaching.com/stats/img.aspx?t...72b79f&bg=1

In the sample URL above replace the digits that appear after "uid=" with your gc.com profile ID. Your UID is available by clicking on a cache log. Your UID will be in your browser's Address box.

You can add whatever text you desire after the "&txt=", but you must remember to replace spaces with the plus sign "+". See the sample above.

You can change the logo displayed by changing the number after the "&bg=" followed by a number from 1 to ? the image changes.

&bg=1 image is the geocaching.com logo

&bg=2 image is Signal the frog

Many Community organizations have a listed logo also, please check with your local organization to find out their number.

You can change the logo displayed by changing the number after the "&bg=" followed by a number from 1 to ? the image changes.

&bg=1 image is the geocaching.com logo

&bg=2 image is Signal the frog

Many Community organizations have a listed logo also, please check with your local organization to find out their number.

I take it that we won't be getting a list? :ph34r: I tried a number of random numbers <100, none of them worked for me.

Also, is there a way to submit our local org's logo if we want one made?

If I'm remembering historic geocaching trivia correctly, there were two organizations whose logos were added for test and demonstration purposes on the day that the stat banner feature was unveiled. Ever since then, the addition of other organizations' logos has been on hold, as part of the larger "recognized organizations" project. So as best I can tell, there are only four logos available, and no process to add new ones at this time.

I rarely enter the forums (this is my third visit), but I did to get the stat box's history. Thanks for the info.

In fact, a cacher asked me yesterday about getting his organization's logo on the stat bar. I told him it was possible to do and designed something on one of my domains to provide him with that functionality. I also created code that makes it easy to add more images.

http://www.devfolio.com/geocaching/statbar

So, yes, that functionality among other things seem to be in demand by gc.com users. So is the JavaScript I use on my profile page. Heck, with a user's click, it's possible to bypass Groundspeak's security and load external JavaScript files (though I would prefer Scriptaculous and Rico be one of the standard includes). There are so many things end users can do to enhance gc.com. I'm just doing my part.

If you want to create the stat box yourself, here's my estimate of gc.com's program flow: Make a bitmap object, instantiate the graphic object off the bitmap, draw the logo on the right, format the cacher's name to include the apostrophe and evaluate the "s", query the finds and hides, do the query string for the user's text, draw all three strings on the graphic object at about x=50, draw four lines to serve as the box's border, and render to the output stream, changing the content type.

.Net is so fun! It's what I do for a living, anyway, so I'm proud to enjoy it.

The following is static because I didn't have time to find a way to get the reference to work in forum posts:

example.jpg

nice!! is it possible that you can add a logo for me?? I am confused on what you are saying on how to do it.

Just send me the URL of whatever you want as you logo image, but try to make it a 46-48 pixel high JPEG if you can; it'll save a minute or two on editing. You'll receive an email when I'm finished. Same with everyone else.

I'll keep this up until Groundspeak builds this feature into gc.com or until they tell me to knock it off. To answer one other unasked question, I thought of creating an upload feature to allow others to upload icons, but I'd rather act as filter against anything that isn't rated "G".

Well, its not showing up but he did make one I promise

The stat bar doesn't show up because it's a dynamic image and forbidden by the forum software. I was thinking of a way of circumventing it, but laziness overcame me. It's enough to discover a way around the "no JavaScript file references" in the gc.com profile page, though I'm still trying to find an onload event handler for that.

Anyway, I suspect that's why no one shows his/her gc.com stat bar in the forum, from what little I have seen.

And, yes, alto, I'll format what I have later, perhaps adding the same JavaScript I gave you. I was in a hurry to do the first one (as proof-of-concept) and simply used Anthem AJAX instead of rigging proper JavaScript. Laziness? Perhaps hurried. I have caches to log, other things to program, and people calling me up asking to do stuff or help them. Where's another FTF opportunity when you need it?

I'll look into it, but my understanding is htaccess is part of Apache. I'll see what I can do to find a different solution using .Net. If anyone has suggestions for how I can implement something like htaccess on IIS without configuring the web server itself, I'll take it. Once I'm happy with how everything works on the back end, I'll look into making it pretty.

As for bandwidth, I have unlimited bandwidth on one of my other domains, but the web hosting company imposes many more restrictions on code operations. I'm trying to find a workaround. Why unlimited bandwidth? Old web hosting contract.

I'll look into it, but my understanding is htaccess is part of Apache. I'll see what I can do to find a different solution using .Net. If anyone has suggestions for how I can implement something like htaccess on IIS without configuring the web server itself, I'll take it.

Yes, .htaccess is Apache. On IIS I think the easiest way would be to set the "error handler" on a given subdirectory (e.g. /stats/ ) to your .net app. Then when anything "lower" than that directory is requested, since it would normally 404, the webserver will run your error handler. It would then evaluate the requested URL and return the appropriate page or image.