GPS altitude on the 60CSx!

Hertzog

As a result of recent threads on altimeter usage on the Garmin GPSr's, I've started running some experiments to get an idea of what exactly is going on. Although I've just started this and have more ideas than answers, I've made one astounding discovery:

If you go into the "Fixed Elevation" mode on the 60CSx, it now uses the GPS altitude for tracks and waypoints instead of the barometric altitude!!

Garmin has apparently implemented this without bothering to tell us, in spite of numerous threads over the years practically begging them to implement just such a feature! Go figure.

I was pretty sure I hadn't seen this in the past; I went back to my 60CS, and it does not do this. I'm not sure I've got the latest software on it, so it could be Garmin has implemented this on the older models as well.

This is very preliminary, and I might end up with egg on my face, but it looks very firm to me, and I wanted to get the word out. I urge those who have been interested in this kind of feature in the past to try it for themselves -- particularly if you are flying over the holidays ;)

Merry Christmas!

Edited by Hertzog

As a result of recent threads on altimeter usage on the Garmin GPSr's, I've started running some experiments to get an idea of what exactly is going on. Although I've just started this and have more ideas than answers, I've made one astounding discovery:

If you go into the "Fixed Elevation" mode on the 60CSx, it now uses the GPS altitude for tracks and waypoints instead of the barometric altitude!!

Garmin has apparently implemented this without bothering to tell us, in spite of numerous threads over the years practically begging them to implement just such a feature! Go figure.

I was pretty sure I hadn't seen this in the past; I went back to my 60CS, and it does not do this. I'm not sure I've got the latest software on it, so it could be Garmin has implemented this on the older models as well.

This is very preliminary, and I might end up with egg on my face, but it looks very firm to me, and I wanted to get the word out. I urge those who have been interested in this kind of feature in the past to try it for themselves -- particularly if you are flying over the holidays :laughing:

Merry Christmas!

Would someone mind explaining why fixed elevation would be better that the variable for airline travel?

Thanks,

Purdue

Would someone mind explaining why fixed elevation would be better that the variable for airline travel?

Thanks,

Purdue

The GPS can use either satellite calculations, or the internal altimeter. In most cases the altimeter is far more accurate. But in a pressurized airline cabin, the altimeter is useless. It's always going to read about 6000 ft above sea level (if I remember right).

Edited by Prime Suspect

I should also mention that the various display fields where "elevation" can be displayed still show the barometric elevation, and on the Altimeter page the elevation displayed at the bottom of the page when the elevation profile is selected is still the barometric elevation; however, the elevation profile shown on the Altimeter page will be the GPS elevation, and if you use the toggle switch to move the cursor on the profile the elevation at the bottom of the page will will switch to the GPS elevation. So viewing the GPS elevation during a flight will still be pretty limited; but at least you can end up with a track log that shows the GPS elevation.

I should also mention that the various display fields where "elevation" can be displayed still show the barometric elevation, and on the Altimeter page the elevation displayed at the bottom of the page when the elevation profile is selected is still the barometric elevation; however, the elevation profile shown on the Altimeter page will be the GPS elevation, and if you use the toggle switch to move the cursor on the profile the elevation at the bottom of the page will will switch to the GPS elevation. So viewing the GPS elevation during a flight will still be pretty limited; but at least you can end up with a track log that shows the GPS elevation.

Thanks, I'll give this a try..