Anchorage - THIS Saturday

Inasuitcase

Hi! I will be visiting Anchorage this Saturday, January 6th, and would love to meet another geocacher to visit caches near the downtown area. If no one wants to join me, can someone at least tell me what to pack... I know it's cold but how cold? Is there snow? If so, would snowshoes help? Maybe these are stupid questions but I've only been to Anchorage during the Spring/Summer. Thanks!

Hello Inasuitcase:

I crossposted to the GeocacheAlaska! Travel Planning Forum to increase your chances of an Anchorage based cacher seeing your post.

Anchorage has received A LOT of snow during the past week, so if you want to do anything other than drive-up caches, snowshoes or skis will be helpful. A lot of the caches in Kincaid, Hillside, and Russian Jack park are accessed by groomed ski trails this time of year, so you'll want to avoid walking on those trails. The GeocacheAlaska! Ski Trail Etiquette thread has links to trail maps and postings to help a cacher know which trails are Nordic skiing only and which are multi-use.

The GeocacheAlaska! Alaska Cache Information webpage has links for several Anchorage bookmarks.

Have a great trip!

Happy New Year!

Hello,

I just spent 10 days in Anchorage waiting for my new dog to arrive from Kentucky. While I was there I did several geocache finds with many being along ski trails. I suggest wearing hiking pants with gators. You want stuff thats waterproof or resitant due to the deep snow. Next you will want to be ready for waist high snow. I suggest snowshoes or simply blaze a path thru the snow. If you walk along ski trails please be careful not to walk on the parts that the skiers use! You will get plenty of dirty looks from the skiers and maybe hear some words you really don't wanna hear when you are out having a good time hunting.

Email me if you have any questions.