Another 7 digit waypoint question

Easy question - I have a standard etrex, 6 digits, yadda yadda... How can I get the various stages of a multi, in child waypoint form, onto my etrex? the new waypoints effectively have 5 digits (%drop2) and the stages are labelled S1, S2, etc (usually).

Any thoughts? I'm stumped!

Dave

PS - apologies if that has been asked elsewhere!

Easy question - I have a standard etrex, 6 digits, yadda yadda... How can I get the various stages of a multi, in child waypoint form, onto my etrex? the new waypoints effectively have 5 digits (%drop2) and the stages are labelled S1, S2, etc (usually).

For the moment, you can drop the first three digits, since there were no GC0xxx 6-digit cache names. But once we get to GC11000, you'll have possible ambiguity with GC1xxx. However, very few caches that old have additional WPs. So you may have a year or more before you need a new GPS. :D

Using %c_Code1 will give you a one character child code rather than 2, so if you use that with the %drop2 you will only have 6 characters. Or you could use the smart names.

Lisa

How do you get smart names child codes to limit to six characters, when the smart name itself is set to 6 characters? Since the child code adds a character to the name, wouldn't the smart name have to be limited to 5 or 4, which really removes the advantage of smart names?

I would love an excuse to buy a more up-to-date GPS - but somehow I think that the workarounds will work!

Using %c_Code1 will give you a one character child code rather than 2, so if you use that with the %drop2 you will only have 6 characters. Or you could use the smart names.

Lisa

How do you get smart names child codes to limit to six characters, when the smart name itself is set to 6 characters? Since the child code adds a character to the name, wouldn't the smart name have to be limited to 5 or 4, which really removes the advantage of smart names?

I would love an excuse to buy a more up-to-date GPS - but somehow I think that the workarounds will work!

Personally, I use %smart %children %smart%c_Prefix with6 character smart names to create the waypoint names, but then our GPSRs take 8 character names.

If I was limited to 6 characters I think I would use %smart %children %smart%c_Code1 and use 5 character smart names - but I agree, the name would get hard to make out, especially with a cache series with similar names. You would have 4 charcters for the cache name, one character to differentiate between the caches and one character for the child waypoint suffix.

Lisa

Edited by minstrelcat

For the moment, you can drop the first three digits, since there were no GC0xxx 6-digit cache names. But once we get to GC11000, you'll have possible ambiguity with GC1xxx. However, very few caches that old have additional WPs. So you may have a year or more before you need a new GPS. :laughing:

Hmm - not sure I understand - If I drop the first three from a 6 digit wpt, then i cannot tell the difference between, say, GCM123 and GCT123. If you mean (as I originallyt thought you did) that I can keep these as 4 digits, but drop the leading 3 characters from a 7 digit wpt, then that would work well, but is that possible? can GSAK tell the difference? one for the gsak forums i think...

Dave