Google Earth Showing Yellow Pins

txoilgas

Am I the only one having the problem with Yellow Pins with the new Google Earth?

:ph34r:

Nope it started with the latest beta release. hopefully, when they get around to releasing the final version, it will all be back to normal.

Forget what I just wrote. It did start with the latest release... but looking at their website, it looks like version 4 is out of beta and is in final release. So... I dunno what/when/how/who will fix the annoying yellow pins.

Edited by BRTango

So is there any solution for the yellow pin problem?

For me, the yellow pins reload and update all the time in interaction with the website. However, I have a set of nice cache icons somewhere in Google Earth and that never updates. It just sits there. My feeling is, the corresponding KML file does not have an automatic update associated to it.

Come on - this bug is so old now and still not fixed. Makes me wonder what I pay my premium membership for. Considering the really horrible geocaching.com search interface, this is my main mode of search. It's annoying to see it broken.

Come on - this bug is so old now and still not fixed. Makes me wonder what I pay my premium membership for. Considering the really horrible geocaching.com search interface, this is my main mode of search. It's annoying to see it broken.

I would highly suggest using the Geocaching.com Google Map linked from every cache page in the map links area. You can zoom in and zoom out to an extent and can also drag the map around. I am not sure if you have seen that. Here is a link from your hidden cache.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/gmnearest.a...amp;lng=9.98333

I would highly suggest using the Geocaching.com Google Map linked from every cache page in the map links area.

That's a nice feature, but not the same as viewing the caches in Google Earth. Is the suggestion that the KML - broken for over a year, apparently - will never be fixed?

This also happens to me, however, I have had great results with Google earth tweaker. It is a very nice program to turn a PQ into a KML with lots of different options. One thing I have noticed about the GE KML from Groundspeak is that the coordinates are way off for the caches. Open a cache and copy/paste the coordinates into the GE fly to box and watch how far away it is from the icon. I haven't figured out why that would happen.

I would highly suggest using the Geocaching.com Google Map linked from every cache page in the map links area. You can zoom in and zoom out to an extent and can also drag the map around. I am not sure if you have seen that.

There are many reasons to use GE that are not available on GC.com. For example, I routinely use the ruler feature to measure distances and also the borders feature to see where county borders are located. I wish the maps on GC.com were as interactive as GE.

This one almost doesn't even qualify for a reply but I can't resist. You're complaining about aesthetics?

I finally tracked down this issue. Our next code release will have this fix in it.

Good news. Thanks. Is there any chance that you could remove the random offset that's applied to the results in GE while you're at it? The Google Maps interface returns accurate results so there's really no reason that I can think of for the Google Earth results to be deliberately wrong.

I finally tracked down this issue. Our next code release will have this fix in it.

-Raine

Awesome news Raine! Thanks for the update. Any idea when the next code release will be?

Thanks!

AKHappyFeet

The fix was implemented moments ago. Enjoy!

Hey! Much better! Thanks!!!

The fix was implemented moments ago. Enjoy!

So... with this new update we seem to have a personal "key" for the KML. Now PMs (like me) can see members-only caches (pretty sure this wasn't the case before?). :unsure:

I'm curious, then, why the locations are still randomly offset.