cheap gps for 8yr old?

Look around and see if you can find a Geko 101 for around $50. Garmin discontinued them a little while ago, but you can still find them being sold. The Geko is the perfect unit for a child. Durable, small enough for little hands and extremely easy to use.

The Geko 201 is still in Garmin's line, but now you're talking over $100.

You can get a refurbed Geko 101 for under $50 on ebay. You can't connect it to a computer, so waypoints will have to be entered manually, which might not be a bad thing. Call it a learning exercise.

I've always thought the Gekos had a "My First Sony" look to them, so kids should like them. Small enough to fit small hands.

I have a bit of time to save, since his bday isn't until September. BUT .. i would like to start looking into getting my son his own gps unit. Nothing fancy, and preferably not to expensive. any ideas?? We have a lowerance Ifinder H2O black and white that we use.

any ideas?

christina

I use an iFinder Hunt for myself and recently picked up a Foretrex 101 from our local Aldi store just to play around with. I ended up using it as a fancy pedometer. I think it would make a nice unit for a child. Aldi started out selling them for $99.99 and after I bought mine, wouldn't you know, they dropped the price to $69.99. The last time I was in their store they still had a few of them left for that price.

The 101 by the way, can be cabled to the computer for downloading waypoints. I think Garmin gets $15.00 for the cable. I made one out of an old serial cable I had lying around

Edited by DWBur

I use an iFinder Hunt for myself and recently picked up a Foretrex 101 from our local Aldi store just to play around with. I ended up using it as a fancy pedometer. I think it would make a nice unit for a child. Aldi started out selling them for $99.99 and after I bought mine, wouldn't you know, they dropped the price to $69.99. The last time I was in their store they still had a few of them left for that price.

The 101 by the way, can be cabled to the computer for downloading waypoints. I think Garmin gets $15.00 for the cable. I made one out of an old serial cable I had lying around

Thanks for the heads up, I just went to Aldi's at lunch time today and got one for $49.99!! Now I can let the kids run ahead of my wife and I with a walkie talkie. They have much more energy than we do. :laughing:

Do you have the pin out for the serial cable? It looks like just a two wire sort of like a mono head phone plug.

thanks everyone!! Wow DS came home from Karate tonight and a family friend and fellow Geocacher had recently recieved a new gps unit so he gave his garmin etrex to ds! Dh works with the guy and had offered to buy it but he gave it to ds. He is such a WONDERFUL guy! :) now off to find a user manual and how to get all the cache's on there. :)