Placing Multiple Finals...Legal?

We have placed (and found) some caches that are what we consider "physical caches" in cool places. We enjoy finding these types of hides. They involve some "risk or activity" like simple climbing, crawling, etc. Not all cachers are able, or willing, to complete these finds and post DNF's even though they know, or can see, where the final is.

Is it possible to create an alternate final were a cacher can log a "Find" without the physical or risk aspect? There would need to be 2 containers, A(harder) and B(easier), within the .1 miles, for the same cache. The listing would have to describe the option.

This could give finders the choice of risk/activity, visit the site, and log a smiley.

padlinfool

Legal? Sure, a hider could do it. I don't see the point though. Not everyone can complete every cache. That's how it is, and that's why there are difficulty/terrain ratings. A cache is half way up a cliff wall because the hider wanted the finders to climb the wall (or rappel down), not because they wanted them to just see the wall. I personally wouldn't allow myself to log such a find.

I don't think it's agains the guidelines, but like Dinoprophet, I don't see the point. Why not just make two caches?

Also, how would you rate it? By the most difficult or the easiest stage? If you use the most difficult, many people who don't do tougher caches will just filter it out anyway.

i could conceive of multiple choice finals; kind of like those multiple choice kids' books. different choices, different adventures. i think it would be cool if the differing paths offered worthwhile choices.

other hand, some will regard this as taking up space that might be used for another cache.

A cache is half way up a cliff wall because the hider wanted the finders to climb the wall (or rappel down), not because they wanted them to just see the wall.

...and if you want them to just see the wall, set it up with the easier option and invite the daring to try it! It happens with caches near views all the time. The actual view is too high traffic, so the cache is placed before the overlook and the hider says "Hey, don't stop once you found the cache! Come check out the (insert point of the cache being here)!"

i could conceive of multiple choice finals; kind of like those multiple choice kids' books. different choices, different adventures. i think it would be cool if the differing paths offered worthwhile choices.

other hand, some will regard this as taking up space that might be used for another cache.

I know of a multi that has two possible routes and depending on your choice you have an easy walk on marked trails, or a difficult bushwack up the side of a mountain. The final stage is the same for both though.

I've had a Matrix themed cache on the drawing board for over 2 years now.

The Red Pill or the Blue Pill

Finders would be invited to find both but ONLY one find would be allowed.

The red pill would be a park-n-grab and the blue pill wellllll, the blue pill would show you just how deep Snoogans' rabbit hole goes.... :(

The red pill would be a park-n-grab and the blue pill wellllll, the blue pill would show you just how deep Snoogans' rabbit hole goes.... :(

Ew. I'll take the red pill, thanks. <_<

I should clarify, I do think there are valid reasons to have multiple finals, such as this Matrix theme or a multiple choice. But to do it expressly so someone can log it when it would otherwise be too hard, that I don't understand.

Thanks for all your thoughts,

I agree placing another cache would be preferred if one could get the proper distances.

I also agree the difficulty/terrain rating would be an issue.

The point was about appealing a broader range of cachers within a physically limited area. It could allow for those of us who would enjoy the challenge, along with those who wish not too.

Yes, not all caches are for everyone or can be completed by everyone. We are not all created equal in size, age, physical and mental aptitude or risk averse attitude.

but,

If one emails you that they cannot complete a cache because they cannot decipher the puzzle, or locate a tough one.

A- do you help them.

or

B- not help them (as they must be too stupid or unskilled)

or

C- You fill in the blank

also, we "can" give hints on the listing to make finding easier.

The concept of creating an "easier" experience for some is already built into the system.

The real question was....is it legal to place 2 final containers within the .1 miles for the same cache?

thanks

padlinfool

Yesterday I was walking in my woods thinking it would be cool to have a multi with two or three different optional coordinates at each stage ... kind of like a choose your own adventure cache .... with everything eventually leading to a final. I don't think my woods is big enough to do it and it would take a lot of work, but I thought it was a nifty idea.

Chris

EDIT - I don't mean to derail this topic. It just reminded me of this. Sorry.

Edited by Muddy Chris

The concept of creating an "easier" experience for some is already built into the system.

The real question was....is it legal to place 2 final containers within the .1 miles for the same cache?

thanks

padlinfool

The best person to ask about this would be your local cache reviewer. I feel sure they would either explain why it won't work, or work with you to get what you want out there.

There is a cache in Huntsville, AL called Enter the Matrix. I found it last weekend. I originally took the red pill but was unable to find the final, so I went back to the begining and took the blue pill.

The funny thing- I am driving a RED Matrix rental car this trip...

-J

You are reading my mind. I have found this cache and I signed the log at both final stages.

I did a multicache called Ballot Box that gave you your choice of two separate final waypoints to vote for your favorite movie character: Allan Quartermain (WP1) or Marko Ramius (WP2). When we got to the waypoint we picked (the shorter walk) we found a locked ammo box with a message written on it that told us that we voted for the wrong guy, and to go to the other waypoint. :P It was hilarious! :laughing:

I know of a multi that has two possible routes and depending on your choice you have an easy walk on marked trails, or a difficult bushwack up the side of a mountain. The final stage is the same for both though.

Same near me.A nice 1 mile walk along a faily level trail or a 5 mile scenic hike to the same cantainer.Two seperate cache pages.I done the easy one first and was 3rd to log it then the hard one and got FTF.I had no idea that it was the same container until I made the 5 mile hike.It made my day.