british waterways

was making enquiries to the water ways as to the policy they have re geocaching .

Had some replies as yet but hopfully will be able to confirm their views shortly .

Any one else had dealings with the British waterways re Geocaching

This is really interesting, as I have a couple of ideas for caches by canals, but I don't fancy either leaving them without permission or actually doing the hard work of getting it. Yeah, yeah, I know ...

Anyway, I just did a quick search of the forums and you may wish to get in touch with "Pieman" See this thread.

I checked the www.gagb.org site to see if they had anything, but they don't.

Let us know how you get on.

Have a look at this post too (a bit less relevant, but it showed up in my search)

seems like a bit of a breakthrough with british water ways

Spoke to a helpfull manager in customer services who today in principle was in favour of geocaching .

He is going to collate names of bww officials to contac when fixing a cache and info as to the dos and donts of britishwaterways property regards hiding fixing etc of caches .

Seems like a lot of councils and large orgs do this all ready , he is suggesting a notification of caches to be submitted to the area co-orinators for records and to check they are or will be in a safe enviroment with out harming w/board property or infringing on there saftey policies etc .

Seems a resonable request . Will let you know when I here any more news re this topic .

We havent yet been given the go ahead but it seems promising at least .

Edited by silver01fox

I had a lot of discussions with many people which revolved around the fact that BW were unwilling to do anything that would increase the risk that they would be sued as their government charter allegedly forbids them from doing this. No-one could adequately explain to me how a well placed cache would increase the risk, but that's by the by.

At the same time they thought it would be a good idea to have a cache of their own to drive visitor numbers at Anderton Boat Lift. I mentioned to them that CCC have already approved a cache on their land close to the Boat Lift and felt distinctly that their idea was bordering too closely on a commercial cache so I never followed it up.

I appreciate this is serious thread necromancy, but I was trying to find info on blanket permissions for BW land, and got nothing, but this thread came up.

To bring this up to date, for anyone following me, I emailed BW customer services and got the following reply.

Hi Dawncraft,

Thanks for the email. You are more than welcome to place caches on BW land, as long as you don't damage the towpaths or surrounding area :)

Hope this helps,

<<name redacted>>

Customer Service Advisor

British Waterways

E: customer.services@britishwaterways.co.uk

T: 01923 201120

This summer the canals and rivers that British Waterways cares for and maintains in England and Wales will become part of a new charity called the Canal & River Trust.

Want to know more? Go to - www. waterscape.com/findoutmore

Follow the BW Customer Service team on Twitter at http://twitter.com/BWCustServ

So basically, fill ya boots, but don't break anything.

I appreciate this is serious thread necromancy, but I was trying to find info on blanket permissions for BW land, and got nothing, but this thread came up.

To bring this up to date, for anyone following me, I emailed BW customer services and got the following reply.

Hi Dawncraft,

Thanks for the email. You are more than welcome to place caches on BW land, as long as you don't damage the towpaths or surrounding area :)

Hope this helps,

<<name redacted>>

Customer Service Advisor

British Waterways

E: customer.services@britishwaterways.co.uk

T: 01923 201120

This summer the canals and rivers that British Waterways cares for and maintains in England and Wales will become part of a new charity called the Canal & River Trust.

Want to know more? Go to - www. waterscape.com/findoutmore

Follow the BW Customer Service team on Twitter at http://twitter.com/BWCustServ

So basically, fill ya boots, but don't break anything.

That's great!

There's a lovely series of caches along our local canal. One of them is in view of a lock keeper's cottage and he's been known to get on his loud hailer and shout 'up a bit, left a bit, getting colder' to struggling cachers in foul weather conditions! :laughing:

With BW about to morph into a National Trust type charity, now would be a good time for BAGC or whatever they call themselves to contact the new Canal and River Trust, and get a publishable blanket permission.

also I would recommend emailing customer.services@britishwaterways.co.uk and getting individual permission, I emailed them late one evening, and got a reply within a few working hours.

BW/C&RT rely on caculating footfall in order to partially justify their money from central government, so if they get an idea about which caches are on their property they can start to caclulate individual visits generated by geocachers from the logs if they so desire.