PDF cache page changes

Lucy & Roo

Went to download the PDF version of the cache notes, the format has changed and they are atrocious.

The old version was fabulous. Any fixes on the horizon? I use paperless, but after I find a cache I download and print the PDF version, and use it to keep notes on the cache, such as final GZ for multi's/puzzles, hints, clues, swaps and stuff you can't write in an on-line log. I guess its my caching diary! Each 100 get bound into a book just for fun.

Thanks

Lucy

Yes, the PDF versions are now different. It used to be on 2 or more pages for a 'no log' download, now it is on 1 page with a "fold along here" marker. it has changed from a portrait to a landscape view. It does not print as neatly, especially when shrunk to fit A5 paper. The attributes types are smaller and difficult to read as are the difficulty and terrain stars. I do not consider it anywhere near as user friendly as it used to be. As I am unable to attach the files in question, I am willing to email them to any who ask via PM with their e-mail addresses so they can see too!

Just a quick thought, Australian cache pages used to be different to american pages, now they are the same. Perhaps this has happened with the PDF pages too?

And we never had and still don't have maps on our PDF pages either (not that we need them)

Edited by Lucy & Roo
I guess its my caching diary! Each 100 get bound into a book just for fun.

Thanks

Lucy

Interesting. (Lots of paper though!) We kind of do the opposite. We keep a logbook with just basic info at each cache and then use our online logs for our records. I wonder what others do?

Yes, the PDF versions are now different. It used to be on 2 or more pages for a 'no log' download, now it is on 1 page with a "fold along here" marker. it has changed from a portrait to a landscape view. It does not print as neatly, especially when shrunk to fit A5 paper. The attributes types are smaller and difficult to read as are the difficulty and terrain stars. I do not consider it anywhere near as user friendly as it used to be. As I am unable to attach the files in question, I am willing to email them to any who ask via PM with their e-mail addresses so they can see too!

Just a quick thought, Australian cache pages used to be different to american pages, now they are the same. Perhaps this has happened with the PDF pages too?

And we never had and still don't have maps on our PDF pages either (not that we need them)

Strange... for me nothing changed on the pdfs :)

What has changed?

It looks fine to me. I don't notice anything different.

There is another thread on this topic. firefox, for some reason, generates a PDF in the old format. IE generates a new format with holes to punch and a line for folding. But the format is off--see other thread.

I am using IE for the most part, and I find the new split-page, landscape format difficult to use.

Also, it misses printing of some information. For example, if there is a picture in the description, it covers over or skips printing some of the description text.

A good example to reference is GCQE5Q (Veteran's Memorial Park cache). It is a puzzle/multi and you have to fill in data for the questions listed on the cache web page. But when I print it with PDF, I get the first two paragraphs, which are above the picture on the cache page, then the picture is included on the PDF, then it goes on to page two, where it starts with the word "monument", which is in the middle of the second paragraph after the picture on the cache description. So, I am missing all of the instructions in the first and most of the second paragraphs of the cache description after the picture. These are very important to finding the second WP. I have gone back to using the "printer-friendly" pages.

From FireFox, it still prints the portrait version, like it used to, so I will probably use FireFox for printing until this is corrected.

While I applaud the attempted changes, I don't think they are quite there yet. You need to work on the format a little more. If you do implement these changes permanently, you may want to make the print format (landscape vs portrait) an option on the My Account options page. As it is, I prefer the portrait one-up format to the landscape two-up format. But if it were corrected, I might lean towards an optional two up format. Often, it depends on the cache page as to how it should be formatted. Some cache pages lend themselves more to one format than the other, so the option should be there for both formats.

Happy caching.

When does the scandinavian letters come in PDF printout? Problem is actually in a cache name section.

In a cache description part they seems to come out fine.

If you have ä's, ö's and å's and other not american letters in caches name, they will look like very wrong. For example letter ä comes out ".#228;" ...And i'm not swearing. Could this be fixed? This is very annoying bug. I think this problem has been in earlier versions too.

Edited by small oaks

The layout may be a question of "I do like it" or "I don't".

Much worse is if some things are missing on the PDF. For example "Additional Waypoints". We were about to look for this one.

Unfortunately all GPS-positions for the multi-stages were carried out as additional waypoints.

The PDF showed all the Pictures, the description, even a hint-decoder - but no additional waypoints.

Why not? If they don't carry unseful information they could be missing on the whole page and not only in the PDF. So please add additional Waypoints to the PDF-Output.

That would be great,

ksmichel

PDF format also looses the bottom of the cache listing if its over a certain length. Very useful when your doing a multi or indeed looking for additional waypoints. The only reason why I used the format was because the show last 5 logs was dropped from printer friendly. Now Ive had to go back to printer friendly and write out any interesting / useful comments from the last 5 logs manually.

I have exactly the same problem: no normal pages anymore!

And I think it cannot be linked to a browser, for if I download the PDF and save it on disk, and at a later stage open it (with acrobat reader) I still have that funny format!!!!

Can someone of the webmasters please have a look at it?

See as an example:

voorbeeldpdf.jpg

And I think it cannot be linked to a browser, for if I download the PDF and save it on disk, and at a later stage open it (with acrobat reader) I still have that funny format!!!!

See as an example:

voorbeeldpdf.jpg

I don't get the fold here line. When I do that it over laps the gray holes which I assume mark where you are supposed to punch holes so that will fit in a two ring binder. I've never been good at origami. This is what I do. I use a three hole punch on the bottom of the page and place it sideways in a three hole binder.

See as an example:

voorbeeldpdf.jpg

Using IE and Windows XP on mulitple computers at home, work, and while on the road; I get the same thing. Hotel, library, friends homes, it is all the same. Information on the left is cut off, right side has an usually large margine. I used to love the .pdf (except for no hint decoding). Viewing on the web or down loading and then opening up it looks the same. I have acrobat reader at work and acrobat writer at home, but there is no difference.

With the full version I could download multiple cache pages then combine them all into one file. It was easy then to print that one file no matter how many caches it was. Now I have returned to the print friendly option, while still trying to maintain the hope the problems with the .pdf version will someday be resolved.

I used to love the .pdf (except for no hint decoding).

It is easy to get decoded hints on the .pdf files. Simply click on decode on the cache page so that the hint is decoded when you are viewing it. Then click on the .pdf option you want (no logs, 5 logs, 10 logs). The hint will show decoded in the .pdf file now.

I used to love the .pdf (except for no hint decoding).

It is easy to get decoded hints on the .pdf files. Simply click on decode on the cache page so that the hint is decoded when you are viewing it. Then click on the .pdf option you want (no logs, 5 logs, 10 logs). The hint will show decoded in the .pdf file now.

Thanks, it didn't used to decode the hints at all (even doing as you said). But it is mute until the .pdf downloads properly in IE, as that is the system used by most. If I went caching alone I could go 100% paperless, but I prefer to cache with my friends who love a paper copy to make notes on and carry home to log from.

I use a three hole punch on the bottom of the page and place it sideways in a three hole binder.

You just answered my question I was going to ask about how to store these for now. Thanks for the obvious answer I couldn't think of. :(

Hello Groundspeak!

What's up with this thing?

Old PDF is visible with FireFox and Opera, but not with IE.

Did anyone ever get an answer to this? I went looking for the "other" thread mentioned, but couldn't find it. I'd really like the "old" PDF format under IE.