City Navigator v2008 Released

nXtIak

So I was trying to buy City Navigator v8 for my Garmin 60csx.

I've been reading on the new forums about people asking when City Navigator v9 is coming out.

People have been saying around August and it will now be called City Navigator v2008.

Well I ordered (what I thought) City Navigator v8 MicroSD from erwincomp.com and just received it in the mail today.

On the packaging there is a sticker that says

"City Nav N. America NT 2008"

I loaded the MicroSD card in my 60csx, went to the map and looked through it.

They all say something like this (except for the city that changes the rest is the same)

"Iowa, City Navigator North America NT 2008, May 2007"

"Southwest California, City Navigator North America NT 2008, May 2007"

etc..etc..etc..

Is this really the new "v9"?? Looks like all these maps are new May 2007.

What do you guys think? I'm pretty excited. Here are some pictures:

IMG_4422.JPG

IMG_4424.JPG

IMG_4425.JPG

IMG_4426.JPG

Edited by nXtIak

So I was trying to buy City Navigator v8 for my Garmin 60csx.

I've been reading on the new forums about people asking when City Navigator v9 is coming out.

People have been saying around August and it will now be called City Navigator v2008.

Well I ordered (what I thought) City Navigator v8 MicroSD from erwincomp.com and just received it in the mail today.

On the packaging there is a sticker that says

"City Nav N. America NT 2008"

I loaded the MicroSD card in my 60csx, went to the map and looked through it.

They all say something like this (except for the city that changes the rest is the same)

"Iowa, City Navigator North America NT 2008, May 2007"

"Southwest California, City Navigator North America NT 2008, May 2007"

etc..etc..etc..

Is this really the new "v9"?? Looks like all these maps are new May 2007.

What do you guys think? I'm pretty excited. Here are some pictures:

IMG_4422.JPG

IMG_4424.JPG

IMG_4425.JPG

IMG_4426.JPG

sweet deal... how much is this version? where can we get a good price for this cd?

sweet deal... how much is this version? where can we get a good price for this cd?

I got it from erwincomp.com

You have to check the descriptions though...

The one I bought for MicroSD in the descriptions says it is v8. and $105 + shipping.

The North American City Navigator NT DVD that's listed from them doesn't say any versions and it's $101

So I can not guarantee if you order you'll get v2008 like me.

Im always suspect when some tadpole joins a few weeks ago, posts pictures of a product not yet or barely released. Obviously a Garmin advertising agent.

Sorry you think I am but whatever, just wanted to tell you guys what I got since a lot of you are looking forward to it. I started caching a couple weeks ago and just bought a handheld for it and was pretty pissed off that it only has a basemap for the price of the gps. Retail $500 for the 60csx when my streetpilot c530 I bought last year was only $300 and has City Nav NT v7. So went looking to buy v8 but got v2008 and was just sharing my excitement.

I think that GeoidPS was just having fun with you. Thanks for the info on the 2008 City Nav. Probably means the update DVDs will be released soon. Sorry to hear you paid full MSRP (ouch) and they didn't even bundle the maps. If you browse this site much, you may not be happy when you see what others are paying for the car navigator bundle (60CSx, dash mount, and City Nav DVD) and the topo bundle (60CSx, cary case, TOPO maps) through Garmin authorized online retailers.

Edited by Glenn W

I think that GeoidPS was just having fun with you. Thanks for the info on the 2008 City Nav. Probably means the update DVDs will be released soon. Sorry to hear you paid full MSRP (ouch) and they didn't even bundle the maps. If you browse this site much, you may not be happy when you see what others are paying for the car navigator bundle (60CSx, dash mount, and City Nav DVD) and the topo bundle (60CSx, cary case, TOPO maps) through Garmin authorized online retailers.

Oh no, no, I didnt pay full retail for the 60csx, was just making an example, that something at $500 should have more than basemap. I got mine on eBay for $350.00 total and it was the newest one (had latest firmware).

I did pick one up at SPorts Chalet too at full retail just to test it out before I ordered mine and it was old, and a returned unit, there were batteries installed, missing belt clip, finger prints on screen. Made sure they had a no questions asked return policy.

Also he probably was not joking.

I would like to purchase City Navigator 2008 North America for my new Vista HCx, however I'm a bit confused about the versions. I have found City Nav. 2008 NT but I haven't been able to locate just City Nav. 2008. So does anybody really know the difference (other than this compression that the Garmin site talks about??) between the NT and non-NT editions?? Also, for that matter, has the non-NT version actually been released??

Thanks! =)

Edited by dsimmelink06

I would like to purchase City Navigator 2008 North America for my new Vista HCx, however I'm a bit confused about the versions. I have found City Nav. 2008 NT but I haven't been able to locate just City Nav. 2008. So does anybody really know the difference (other than this compression that the Garmin site talks about??) between the NT and non-NT editions?? Also, for that matter, has the non-NT version actually been released??

Thanks! =)

The only difference is the compression. You should be buying the NT version.

I doubt they will release the non-NT in a full version as they will be discontinuing the models that don't use NT soon....

The only difference is the compression. You should be buying the NT version.

I doubt they will release the non-NT in a full version as they will be discontinuing the models that don't use NT soon....

OK, cool, thanks for the info! I was just confused by the NT as I related it to the operating system! =P

Ok... I'm confused (AGAIN)... I found City Navigator V8 north america for like 115 at Amazon. Obviously I want the latest version... they have the 2008 version as well but it says it is an UPDATE and it's only 60 bucks or so... so for this "update" do I need to have an older version of City Nav to install over the top of or what?? Sheesh this is confusing....

Thanks!

I was confused too when I order mind a little over a week ago.So I just ordered it from Garmins web site and I figured that they would sent me the latest version.

I received it in about 5 days which surprised me because that includes the weekend. Sure enough it was the 2008 version but it also had a upgrade online to version 9 after I installed it.It cost me about 25 dollars more .But at lease I knew I would get what I wanted ,sometimes you do get what you pay for.

It installed without any problem for me just make sure you register at Garmins web site before you do the install it will save a lot of trouble because they want a user name and password before you unlock the maps if you don't have one you will have to set one up first.

PS I don't think the updated for 60 dollars is what you want.

KTKM

I was confused too when I order mind a little over a week ago.So I just ordered it from Garmins web site and I figured that they would sent me the latest version.

I received it in about 5 days which surprised me because that includes the weekend. Sure enough it was the 2008 version but it also had a upgrade online to version 9 after I installed it.It cost me about 25 dollars more .But at lease I knew I would get what I wanted ,sometimes you do get what you pay for.

It installed without any problem for me just make sure you register at Garmins web site before you do the install it will save a lot of trouble because they want a user name and password before you unlock the maps if you don't have one you will have to set one up first.

PS I don't think the updated for 60 dollars is what you want.

KTKM

Hm... I'm a bit confused by your post... isn't the 2008 version essentially the same thing as version 9?? Perhaps you meant to say they shipped you version 8??

Thanks for the info though!