XDA Orbit (HTC Artemis) SirF static navigation filter

I have an O2 XDA Orbit (HTC P3300/Artemis) PDA/phone with integrated SirF StarIII GPS. It runs Windows Mobile 5. It works extremely well except that the position does not update while I'm moving very slowly. This is fine for vehicle navigation but a real nuisance for geocaching.

I believe the reason is that the static navigation filter is enabled. I have found the SirFDemoPPC application and installed it. In theory this should allow me to configure the static navigation (and other) filters, but there is a problem. Windows Mobile 5 has a feature called the "GPS intermediate driver" that is intended to allow sharing of GPS data between mutiple programs simultaneously. It connects to the GPS port and creates a new "virtual" com port, to which the applications connect.

While I can use the SirFDemoPPC application in NMEA mode, I cannot switch to the binary mode necessary for the extended control features to work. I have tried disabling the intermediate driver and connecting directly to what I think is the "real" GPS port (there is a port called "COM3: GPS Port") but the SirFDemoPPC software cannot connect to it. And I've tried every other port on the device, just in case. Either I cannot connect, or I can connect but there is no GPS data.

It's very frustrating to be so near yet so far away. I have emailed SirF but had no reply. Any ideas where I might go for more information on this please?

Rgds, Andy

Most apps are happy to share a com port, I personally dont use the windows mobile software GPS port as alot of apps fail to work with it. You may find that com3 is acutally your software port.

First thing I would do is upgrade to mobile six which you can do for free with o2 on the following website http://www.my-xda.com/software_updates.jsp.

If you are not with O2 you need to use XDA-Developers but this will void your warrenty. I'm on orange and been buying HTC devices for years and regularily upgrade using xda-developers with no issues, you just need to read the instructions carefully as you can brick your phone.

This will improve compatibility and update the gps software versions. Once you're there goto Start - Settings External GPS. On the first tab you will have the port that is currently set as your windows software GPS port. the second tab should identify your hardware GPS port.

Not wanting to put a downer on the internal GPS device on these phones, but they tend to be fine when driving but not sensitive enough when walking, especially under trees and in woods. I would recommend you spend £35 on ebay and buy a qstarz bt 818 or holux m1000 Bluetooth GPS. But not having used you're phone say for definite it'll be a case of suck it and see.

Software wise I would recommend GeoScout. £20 includes full maps, compass, cache database. I've been using the trial now for nealy 30 days and I'm very impressed. www.navstation.co.uk click on Geoscout.

Edited by EvilMonkeys