GeoJournal - a new Mac Geocaching management app

We are happy to announce the release of GeoJournal version 1.0.00.

GeoJournal is the first application of it's kind written for the Mac. It's

got a ton of great features that allow you to Plan, Manage, and Record your

Geocaching Adventures. Briefly, it's great features include:

- GPX/LOC support

- Multiple cache categories

- Multiple home locations

- Embedded web browser with Google Maps

- Itinerary generation

- Associate pictures and notes with Found caches

- POP3 importing for PQs

- Paperless caching with CacheMate PDB files, GPX, or Text exporting

- Integration with Google Earth, Apple iCal, and more!

For more information and to download the application, please visit

GeoJournal's main web site at:

http://www.geoingenuity.com

Thank you. I hope you enjoy using the application.

Best Regards,

Rich Martin aka Curious Technology

Mac User, Geocacher, and Author of GeoJournal

<_<

I just want to add my little endorsement for GeoJournal. I LOVE this app, not only because its a geocache file utility, but because its the complete geocaching package - recording memories, planning outings, everything. Plus, Rich is very responsive.

Edited by chimbisimo

you asked for beta testers months ago.I tried it and tried to submit feedback. this is the 1st time I've seen you post since then.

what be the deal?

I never even got the beta invite untill now but...

I would just like to add, i think it works great. It even has cachemate support.

Very Mac loving GUI. Very easy to use and it could eventually be GSAK for the Mac if it adds more features.

Very solid application.

I have to say, after tinkering with whatever other OS X cache management app is out there, I figured I'd have no use for one of these.

GeoJournal, however, I'm really liking a lot. It's pretty nicely laid out, fairly intuitive, fast (the other program I tried had to read the database every single time you clicked, pretty much. Drove me insane). I look forward to trying it out with CacheMate, and I'm intrigued by the POP3 support, though I use IMAP.

I noticed that despite the .gpx file in a pocket query saying I had found a cache (<sym>Geocache Found</sym>), GeoJournal did not pick up on that. I had to run a found caches query and import them, checking off the 'Import as Found' option. Apart from that, and perhaps having a bit of control over the cache listing (row sizes & fields, namely), it feels like a pretty solid app. For nitpicky UI suggestions, continue reading on! Otherwise, thank you very much for what looks to be a great tool for us OS X cachers!

Other UI/feature suggestions. Please note: I did a lot of critiques in college, but I realize that's not an experience everyone has had. Please don't take offense from any of these suggestions, I offer them as constructive criticism to make the program even better.

• Replace the sidebar buttons with a graphical toolbar at the top like other mac apps have.
  • "Record i of j" text in a status bar at the bottom.
  • Drop-down menu, "View" is sort of redundant. Misnamed, at best, as it's merely another listing of the categories, which already has a drop-down menu inside the app. I'd suggest placing "Show Finds" and "Bold Pictures" in the View menu, removing them from the application window. They're not going to be toggled frequently enough to require a constant visual.
  • Maps Auto-Load seems like it belongs in the preferences. On closer inspection, it appears auto-load, show finds and bold pictures are in there. All appear to be nonfunctional? Toggling them one place doesn't affect the other. I maintain that show finds/bold pictures belong solely in the view drop-down menu.
  • Itinerary feels like it's in the wrong place to me. Details, Maps, and Journal all pertain to the selected cache. Itinerary does not, yet it's mixed in with them. I think it would be better represented with a button in the toolbar, and then opening in a separate window altogether with it's own toolbar for controls.
  • Google Earth should be a main feature, not just one for Itineraries. It does not appear to be working, however. No matter what I do, it just zooms out on the Atlantic Ocean for me.
  • Adding a cache in my itinerary as a location, choosing that as my current location, and sorting does not list that cache as either closest (#1 position) or 0 distance.
  • Importing & linking a saved track to one or more caches (I'm looking for a way to manage saved tracks, and integration with an app like this would be incredibly useful)
  • Use OS X's normal search box (rounded sides, magnifying glass on the left, (x) on the right when there's something typed.
  • Advanced Find/Filters/Smart Searches would be super cool.
  • Remove the [+] for Category & Location. Add "Edit Categories..." and "Edit Locations..." to the bottom of each drop-down instead. Remove or change the text in the "Tools" menu to say the same, rather than just "Categories".
  • Unless there's something I don't understand about it, Optimize should be done on program exit.
  • In adding customization to the cache listing, change the Found field to display a graphic rather than Yes/No. (Found? Smileyface. Not found? no graphic).
  • iTunes/Mail-style "New" dot. Entries recently added (last import? last week?) have a dot to show you they've just been added.
  • Pretty much any non-interfacing window space should allow the window to be dragged.

Heh, I think that's all I've thought of for now. Again, I suggest these not to sound like an a**, but because I think they'd make what looks to be a godsend of a program even more wonderful. I'd be happy to help out in whatever way I can, if that's of interest to you. My time is currently limited, as I'm moving 3000miles to the left. If you think any of these suggestions are at all worth pursuing, you're welcome to send me a message for clarification, help, whatevs.

Edited by JaeCee

I noticed that despite the .gpx file in a pocket query saying I had found a cache (<sym>Geocache Found</sym>), GeoJournal did not pick up on that. I had to run a found caches query and import them, checking off the 'Import as Found' option.

I found this too. What was weird was that after i did this same procedute, it actually had the correct FOUND Date?

Didi you notice this?

Perhaps a bug?

Edited by jchiar

I noticed that despite the .gpx file in a pocket query saying I had found a cache (<sym>Geocache Found</sym>), GeoJournal did not pick up on that. I had to run a found caches query and import them, checking off the 'Import as Found' option.

I found this too. What was weird was that after i did this same procedute, it actually had the correct FOUND Date?

Didi you notice this?

Perhaps a bug?

Yeah, that's what it looks like to me. Perhaps a slight oversight? I did notice it had the correct date, now that you mention it.

I'm curious about anyone else's feedback on my giant list of suggestions, if anyone agrees, disagrees or has their own. This is a great 1.0 app, but a few revisions and I think it could be a great deal stronger.

What I found were great features was that the database gets updated if you redownload the gpx files.

also nice were the display green, different color fonts (unavailable) to differentiate different things.

Nicest GUI for geocaching that i think.

It has hints from GSAK like linking to GEOCACHING.com for the latest cache info.

Drag and drop of GPX files.

AND the mini maps. And its very speedy.

If the Found could just be parsed instead of having to select mark as found, this would be a must fix feature.

I just test out in GSAK on my PC and it detects is a cache was found when i import so it my be a program/logic bug. AT least there is a workaround via the pocket query of founds and reimporting them MARKED as FOUND.

I like it so much that I will be purchasing a license if it runs smooth during the rest of my trial period.

Note to iMac G3 under 10.2.8 owners:

Mounting the disk image aborts at the end. Impossible to install.

(That's why I'm dreaming af a 24 inch iMac)

Are you downloading with Safari? If so , download with Camino or Firefox.

There are issues with some programs when you download a DMG with Safari, you get a message (File system not mountable) . You get this message?

"GeoJournal v1.0.00.dmg" n'a pas pu être monté. Erreur 95. (Aucun système de fichiers montable.)

Looks like what you said, but I use (and used) Firefrox.

The same thing happened with LoadMyTracks.

Edited by lewis82

"GeoJournal v1.0.00.dmg" n'a pas pu être monté. Erreur 95. (Aucun système de fichiers montable.)

I threw those (and MacCMConvert, for the heck of it) into a .zip file. See if you have any luck with those.

http://musicabuser.com/macgps.zip

You may also want to see if something like this helps actually fix the problem. I just did a google search for 'file system not mountable .dmg'

Do you have another browser to try.

Thanks to the favorable response and the comments. I love feedback, so please feel free to keep it coming. If you want to send feedback to me directly via email, please send it over to support (at) geojournal (dot) net. Keep in mind that most of the development of the application has been in somewhat of a bubble, between a handful of testers, so a lot of the features that I thought made sense may not to the general public, so I am happy to get other opinions on things.

I have a pretty good list of 1.x fixes and feature updates, but I welcome more. At some point, I will boil them all down and prioritize them, which i will post on the main GeoJournal website...

Speaking of that-- shortly after I released the application, my entire server promptly died. It was good old Murphy making a call at the opportune moment... I was able to recover a recent backup, but I am forced to upload it to a new server over my cable modem connection at home, so it's quite painfully slow. They boast 384k uploads, but that's more like 80k for me... Hopefully the website will be restored on Saturday. I also plan to put up a forum there as well.

oh, there is another bug that was found just in case someone runs into it-- within Itinerary, exporting the itinerary to a text file doesn't work. It creates a text file without the geocache data. Bug has already been fixed and will be rolled out in the next update. I'll look into the other couple reported issues here as well.

Thanks again,

Rich

Edited by Curious Technology

BTW How do you use the itinerary?

Also the export to google earth is great, but i had an issue on exporting multiple caches. I could only export one at a time....

This is copied and pasted from the GeoJournal documentation regarding the creating itineraries:

Itineraries

If you've ever attempted to spend a few hours searching for a handful of caches, it's likely that you've realized that some thoughtful planning beforehand can help save considerable time and gas (be it petroleum based or adrenaline based!). The Itineraries function in Geo Journal attempts to provide you with the information and materials you need to best plan your outing.

1. Create a list of caches that you plan on finding on your outing.

1. Highlight the desired caches, either all at once (see III. Getting Stuff into your GPS) or as you go.

2. Click Add to Itinerary to add the highlighted caches to your itinerary list.

If you need to look at a cache's Geocaching.com website,

highlight it and click on View Web Page on the left hand side.

2. Click on the Itinerary tab (it is not necessary that you highlight a cache that is on the itinerary in order to access the Itinerary tab).

3. Clicking on the Sort Itinerary button creates your itinerary in the following manner:

1. First, Geo Journal determines the cache closest to the location displayed in the Location pull-down menu, and places that cache at position 1.

2. It then decides the next closest cache based on the coordinates at the cache in position 1. It places this cache in position 2,

3. and so on until it orders all the caches by relative position from the previous coordinates.

This is like going to a cache location, finding it, then looking at your GPS and saying "What's the next nearest one?"

4. You may manipulate the order of caches in your itinerary by:

o changing the order of caches using the Up and Down buttons

o "locking" caches in place. Doing so will keep them in that position, regardless of the sorting rules. Clicking Sort Itinerary after locking caches will generate a new itinerary list, having used the newly locked caches' coordinates to create the new list.

5. Review your current itinerary in Google Earth by clicking on the Google Earth button. Doing so launches Google Earth and displays the itinerary as a route from cache to cache to cache, in the order they're listed in Geo Journal. If you wish to make changes to the route, make the changes in Geo Journal and then click the Google Earth button again, and the new modified route will be displayed in Google Earth.

6. When you're satisfied with your itinerary, create a name for it in the blank pull-down menu and click Save.

7. Clicking on Export produces a text file that can be synced to a PDA, emailed, or printed out.

* The Locate button will perform a search in the large window for the cache highlighted in the lower Itinerary window.

* The Move button allows you to categorize caches from within the Itinerary window.

JaeCee, those are some great suggestions and critiques. I second all of them, and have appended some notes/ideas/thoughts on the following items:

GeoJournal, however, I'm really liking a lot. It's pretty nicely laid out, fairly intuitive, fast (the other program I tried had to read the database every single time you clicked, pretty much. Drove me insane). I look forward to trying it out with CacheMate, and I'm intrigued by the POP3 support, though I use IMAP.

Try creating a free email account with a site that offers POP3, then have your PQs emailed to that email address. Try it a few times together with GeoJournal to see how it works for you. I'm finding that I'm just deleting my PQs from my main email account because I'm using GJ's GUI to import them from my "Geocaching" email account.

[*]Maps Auto-Load seems like it belongs in the preferences. On closer inspection, it appears auto-load, show finds and bold pictures are in there. All appear to be nonfunctional? Toggling them one place doesn't affect the other. I maintain that show finds/bold pictures belong solely in the view drop-down menu.

The Preferences options determine the general behavior of those things. But sometimes you just need to look at a map real quick, or make all pictures bold just for a minute. That's why the options also appear on the sidebar, for easy access. They toggle against the behavior that you've set in Preferences.

But you're right - maybe just some easy to remember keyboard shortcuts can do the trick.

[*]Itinerary feels like it's in the wrong place to me. Details, Maps, and Journal all pertain to the selected cache. Itinerary does not, yet it's mixed in with them. I think it would be better represented with a button in the toolbar, and then opening in a separate window altogether with it's own toolbar for controls.

Now that you mention it, I completely agree.

[*]Google Earth should be a main feature, not just one for Itineraries. It does not appear to be working, however. No matter what I do, it just zooms out on the Atlantic Ocean for me.

Do you have caches on both sides of the Atlantic? That may cause this. But I too have experienced some issues exporting to Google Earth (Which can be done at any time, incidentally, via the File>Export Selected To menu).

[*]Importing & linking a saved track to one or more caches (I'm looking for a way to manage saved tracks, and integration with an app like this would be incredibly useful)

Intriguing - please expand! I don't know that I quite understand what you mean, but it kind of sounds cool.

Try creating a free email account with a site that offers POP3, then have your PQs emailed to that email address. Try it a few times together with GeoJournal to see how it works for you. I'm finding that I'm just deleting my PQs from my main email account because I'm using GJ's GUI to import them from my "Geocaching" email account.

::nod:: Gonna be creating a gmail account solely for this purpose, I think.

[*]Maps Auto-Load seems like it belongs in the preferences. On closer inspection, it appears auto-load, show finds and bold pictures are in there. All appear to be nonfunctional? Toggling them one place doesn't affect the other. I maintain that show finds/bold pictures belong solely in the view drop-down menu.

The Preferences options determine the general behavior of those things. But sometimes you just need to look at a map real quick, or make all pictures bold just for a minute. That's why the options also appear on the sidebar, for easy access. They toggle against the behavior that you've set in Preferences.

But you're right - maybe just some easy to remember keyboard shortcuts can do the trick.

There are buttons for the 'on a whim' decision to view the map. The checkbox to auto-load should only be in preferences. I'm still not quite sure why there is a checkbox in the main program window. I don't see the differentiation you're describing.

[*]Google Earth should be a main feature, not just one for Itineraries. It does not appear to be working, however. No matter what I do, it just zooms out on the Atlantic Ocean for me.

Do you have caches on both sides of the Atlantic? That may cause this. But I too have experienced some issues exporting to Google Earth (Which can be done at any time, incidentally, via the File>Export Selected To menu).

I've found caches in Massachusetts and in California. When I was testing out the Itinerary feature, I was only adding MA caches to the list. Both as a single cache, and as multiple caches.

[*]Importing & linking a saved track to one or more caches (I'm looking for a way to manage saved tracks, and integration with an app like this would be incredibly useful)

Intriguing - please expand! I don't know that I quite understand what you mean, but it kind of sounds cool.

Yeah, wasn't sure if I explained that well.

Basically, when I go out caching, I like to turn on the tracking feature on my GPSr, and save it to my computer when I get home. I can use the track for GoogleEarth overlays and with HoudahGeo for giving any photos GPS coordinates.

If GeoJournal could pull a particular track (and possibly field-added waypoints) from the GPS (or at least allow you to import a specific one that's already on the computer), and add it in with respective caches, that would be great. Especially with it's Google Maps integration, there may be a way to overlay the track right there, or at least open it up in GoogleEarth.

For example, I decided to find two caches on my way home tonight. Had I turned on tracking, I'd have liked to link that saved track with these two caches. GeoJournal would be a cache & track management app, rather than just cache management. That's keeping a journal of your caching experiences.

Edited by JaeCee

Perhaps a bit more nitpicky than even the rest of the things mentioned, CMD+F brings up an export dialogue rather than being the search shortcut. Esc does not cancel out of this (or any other) dialogue, either. CMD+G brings up the edit categories dialogue, rather than Find Next. Live searching (filtering the cache listing as you type) would be a sexy addition, as well. You should be keeping to "standard" shortcut keys ('find' should not be CMD+K, for example).

Sorry folks. UI design is something I love nitpicking over. The moment I get paid for it I can die a happy man, despite spending so much time doing this stuff for free and dying the moment I get handed a cheque for it.

Edited by JaeCee

Wow! This is a fantastic app - just what I've been hoping for. I dl'd it this afternoon, and just got a few minutes to play with it, and it's does everything that I've been using gsak (in virtual pc) for.

One small bug here - When I'm in one of my user created databases, and I delete some of the caches, after the delete it kicks me back out to the "all" database instead of staying in the one I was working in.

Also, I haven't tried the drag and drop thing yet, which might render this request moot, but it'd be nice to be able to open more than one gpx at a time into a database. GSAK has an open a folder of files thing, which is handy for around here, where there are still more than a thousand geocaches that I haven't found yet, and the gc.com pq's are still limited to 500 caches.

Anyway, thanks for this great app!

Wow! This is a fantastic app - just what I've been hoping for. I dl'd it this afternoon, and just got a few minutes to play with it, and it's does everything that I've been using gsak (in virtual pc) for.

One small bug here - When I'm in one of my user created databases, and I delete some of the caches, after the delete it kicks me back out to the "all" database instead of staying in the one I was working in.

Also, I haven't tried the drag and drop thing yet, which might render this request moot, but it'd be nice to be able to open more than one gpx at a time into a database. GSAK has an open a folder of files thing, which is handy for around here, where there are still more than a thousand geocaches that I haven't found yet, and the gc.com pq's are still limited to 500 caches.

Anyway, thanks for this great app!

Drag and dop works. You can have more than Category which is like having multiple gpx files. HAving figure out how to move things between categories though..

I've been having a great time with GJ, but have a few problems. One is that when I try to export to a text file, I get empty fields - but an email from Rich (thanks for the quick reply!) tells me that he's already fixed that and it will show up in the next release. The other issue is with getting caches uploaded to my Vista HCX. It just doesn't work. I have an email in to Rich, but has anyone else tried this?

I've been having a great time with GJ, but have a few problems. One is that when I try to export to a text file, I get empty fields - but an email from Rich (thanks for the quick reply!) tells me that he's already fixed that and it will show up in the next release. The other issue is with getting caches uploaded to my Vista HCX. It just doesn't work. I have an email in to Rich, but has anyone else tried this?

Well it uploads to my 60csx. Though the caches use shortnames instead of GCxxxx names..

Edited by jchiar

Well it uploads to my 60csx. Though the caches use shortnames instead of GCxxxx names..

Hey, I clicked on your sig file and got to the MacCaching site - I hadn't stumbled on it before. I just downloaded it, got my caches onto my Vista HCX in no time, and even have the cache descriptions ready to put on my iPod for paperless caching. Finally - I think I've got a system down that all works on a mac! Now I just need to get out there and actually see if we can find the caches :rolleyes: Thanks for your help!

I dont fully understand how to enter the home location. I'm new to my gps and this program but this is the location the gps gives me N 42deg 40.049 and W 084deg 33.512

How do I enter that into the lat and long for this software?

thanks

I dont fully understand how to enter the home location. I'm new to my gps and this program but this is the location the gps gives me N 42deg 40.049 and W 084deg 33.512

How do I enter that into the lat and long for this software?

thanks

goto Tools> location. Add one called HOME and set as Default.

That should be it..

I vastly prefer having the abreviated short names. I kept on using gsak in virtual pc mostly because it did the short name thing - there is another mac soft that manages gpx files, but it only does the gc numbers. Use that one if you need the gc numbers showing.

I vastly prefer having the abreviated short names. I kept on using gsak in virtual pc mostly because it did the short name thing - there is another mac soft that manages gpx files, but it only does the gc numbers. Use that one if you need the gc numbers showing.

I found out there is an option enable by default to transfer using shot names. That was my reason. Ill have to re think the short names option. Does cachemate use the same short names?

Sorry to ask in 2 threads, but is there any support for POIs in this app, ie, can it output all the multis as "multi.csv" for POILoader?

Thanks in advance - this is an exciting time to be a MacUser.

No. It will export to GPX , cachemate, google earth and ical.

And yes, its an exciting time!

Here are my 2 cents worth of comments. First, GeoJournal may evolve into the best geocaching application available. If some bugs are fixed and the application becomes a bit more polished I would be happy to buy a licence. Generally, I agree with all comments made by jchiar concerning the GUI aspects.

What must be fixed/added:

• the waypoint name must be part of the list view ("GCxxxx") to allow search and sorting by waypoint names
  • when exporting to a GPS receiver the way points should also labeled by GCxxxx waypoint names to avoid a cluttered map view. If some people prefer shortnames then this should be an option but not the default value
  • the same holds for the cachemate export. Currently the "Name" and "Wpt" field both contain the name of the cache. Wpt must be the GCxxxx labels

What would be good to have:

• an option to show the distances in the "Dist" field in kilomters (for the 80% of the world which thinks in the metric system)
  • the possibility to show the web page of an associated travel bug (e.g., by clicking on its name)
  • Cachemate export files should automatically be placed into the respective hotsync directory. Ideally, all caches of a category get exported automatically to one cachemate export file by an email rule application
  • the possiblility to create a new location from the coordinates of a cache.

[*]Cachemate export files should automatically be placed into the respective hotsync directory. Ideally, all caches of a category get exported automatically to one cachemate export file by an email rule application

This really doesnt matter. I put in on the desktop, and run the pdb file. It launches in and hotsyncs just fine.. Then I delete the exported file

What must be fixed/added:

• the waypoint name must be part of the list view ("GCxxxx") to allow search and sorting by waypoint names
Or even better, the ability to access a wide variety of columns and create your own view, a la iTunes. This has been suggested.

when exporting to a GPS receiver the way points should also labeled by GCxxxx waypoint names to avoid a cluttered map view. If some people prefer shortnames then this should be an option but not the default value
You're crazy if you prefer the codes. I find it's much more annoying to look up waypoint codes in Cachemate than it is to look up names. But the ability to choose either/or has been suggested. I also suggested the ability to choose whether to append notes or not - on my eXplorist, I have a limit of 250 POI's with notes, or 500 w/o notes.

the same holds for the cachemate export. Currently the "Name" and "Wpt" field both contain the name of the cache. Wpt must be the GCxxxx labels

I'm still able to switch from Name to Wpt sort, and back. Are you not able to?

I wholeheartedly agree with the comments about allowing the GC**** to be the waypoint name. I'd add a few other requests/recommendations:

- Allow users to select fields to view in the main database area. I would like to see, for example, who placed the cache, so I could sort (or ideally filter) on that, but I wouldn't always be interested in seeing the "cache placed" date. Also might be nice to see the Lat/Long in the cache listing -- or at least have that as a field to select to be visible.

- Allow users to export also to the Mac Address book. That way I can sync it with my iPod and go paperless with one stop shopping (no cachemate). Right now, I use MacCaching for this piece. Would be nice to have the great GeoJournal interface, but with the ability to sync to iPod.

- It would be great to have a field to include corrected coordinates b/c all those puzzle caches drive me slightly batty. I solve the puzzle, find the new location, then have no great place to capture that info to sync to my GPSr. I'd even be ok with editing the original coords, though maybe this will get me into trouble.

- One last thing - even though I changed my preference to the "deg mm.mmm" style of coordinates, it still asks me for coordinates as deg.xxxxx style when setting up a new location. Slightly vexing.

If there is a way to accomplish any of the above in the existing iteration of the tool, let me know. Maybe I just missed something. Otherwise, I'm looking forward to seeing the next update. I really do like it -- nice interface (and I get to use my home mac rather than my work PC - yea!)

Hi,

It seems that GeoJournal has the potential to be a really fine geocaching app. Can't wait for a couple updates to get things working right and smoothed out. Lots of good suggestions here. I also would like to be able to drag and drop multiple GPX or LOC files into GeoJournal. When I try that now it only accepts one at a time. Another thing that I noticed is that when I am using the "Send To GPS" option it seems to upload all my GeoCaches to my eXplorist 210 even though I have selected a smaller number to send. For example, I have 51 geocaches total and 20 of those I have found, I will deselect the "show finds" box to hide the found caches. That leaves 31 caches in the window. I select the "Send To GPS" button, the next window asks if I want to send the 1 selected option or the 31 total in the catagory. I select the 31 option. Transfer complete. I turn on the GPS and there are 51 caches showing up there, that includes the 20 founds that are not showing in GeoJournals window. What's up with that? <_<

I also would like to be able to drag and drop multiple GPX or LOC files into GeoJournal. When I try that now it only accepts one at a time.

A good workaround that you can use until true drag-n-drop is adopted is using the "Open with" dialog in the contextual menu. Highlight all the files you want to import into GeoJournal, then control-click and choose "GeoJournal" from the "Open With..." option.

I downloaded it last night and was sad to find it doesn't support the Garmin GPS-76, only GPSMap-76. I also noticed it doesn't like the .GPX files created by Mac SimpleGPS.

I could be partly to blame because I'm still running Garmin V2.08 firmware (if it ain't broke, don't fix it?)

Can you tell me if the V2.20 firmware (Feb 2005) update will work? If so, what GPS unit do I select from your drop-down menu?