Pocket caches?

I thought pocket caches were no longer allowed by GS/GC? Or have they been grandfathered in like virts?

What is a pocket cache?I have not heard of them.

A forum search might be a good place to look.

Actually, a lot of what comes up is newbies asking questions about Pocket Queries but mistakenly referring to them as pocket caches. As far as Pocket Caches, you don't really want to know, do you? :cool:

Hey Duece, why isn't that cat blue?

Edited by TheWhiteUrkel

I didn't know what one was either, so tried a forum search, but that was not helpful. Did a Google search and found the following for those also not in the loop.

From GeoLex

Pocket Cache – A pocket cache is a cache carried on one's person, usually to geocaching events. Often these are actual caches that the owner has moved from their assigned location. Since geocaching.com no longer supports Traveling Caches, and the removal of active caches can cause confusion for those seeking them in their posted location, Pocket Caches are not condoned. Using a cache in this manner may cause it to be permanently archived and locked.

I thought pocket caches were no longer allowed by GS/GC? Or have they been grandfathered in like virts?

What is a pocket cache?I have not heard of them.

It's another way for the numbers hounds to pad their find count without actually finding a geocache.

The true, and original Pocket Caches are also great for ice breakers at events to get to know one another, as Show Me The Cache coined the phrase “”is that a cache in your pocket or are you just happy to see me “”

And yes it has been taken advantage of, but still ok to do under the current guidelines and log the event page multiple times

Joe

And yes it has been taken advantage of, but still ok to do under the current guidelines and log the event page multiple times

Indeed. There is nothing keeping you from logging a "Found it" for every person you meet at an event as long as the person who listed the event allows it. So technically pocket caches are still allowed. You just can't use existing (other than the event) caches for your "Found It" logs.

I still see it as a shameless numbers pumping scheme. There are numerous "great ice breakers" that don't involve artificially inflating find counts.

Edited by briansnat

Actually, a lot of what comes up is newbies asking questions about Pocket Queries but mistakenly referring to them as pocket caches. As far as Pocket Caches, you don't really want to know, do you? :cool:

Hey Duece, why isn't that cat blue?

A pocket cache is when a small/micro cache that carried at an event. There are usually some rules about finding it, like what Jo says... somthing like to find the pocket cache, you go around introducing yourself to other cachers and then ask if they have the pocket cache. If they have it they're supposed to turn it over to you, then you sign the log and carry it around till someone else asks you if you have it.

The issue, as with most of the event caches/games, is that some people try get finds for this stuff. Logging the event page, logging other cache page, logging archived caches, whatever. ( It gets more involved and heated, but you only asked what a pocket cache was)

As for Duece's cat, in felines gray = blue. Google the phrase 'blue shorthair' and look at the images if you don't believe it.

Indeed. There is nothing keeping you from logging a "Found it" for every person you meet at an event as long as the person who listed the event allows it. So technically pocket caches are still allowed. You just can't use existing (other than the event) caches for your "Found It" logs.

I still see it as a shameless numbers pumping scheme.

Normally employed by those cachers who were always picked last in gym class, or were primary targets everytime dodge ball was played!!

For pete's sake, just kidding about that. :cool:

There are numerous "great ice breakers" that don't involve artificially inflating find counts.

Yeah, like those sheets handed out at events where you have to find someone who owns a virtual, has under 50 finds, or who has a color in their username (which I always seem to sign dozens of sheets for). Of course I'm sure there are events that allow "finds" for completing these sheets. :cool:

Yeah, like those sheets handed out at events where you have to find someone who owns a virtual, has under 50 finds, or who has a color in their username (which I always seem to sign dozens of sheets for). Of course I'm sure there are events that allow "finds" for completing these sheets. :cool:
Just tell 'em white isn't a color. :cool:
Yeah, like those sheets handed out at events where you have to find someone who owns a virtual, has under 50 finds, or who has a color in their username (which I always seem to sign dozens of sheets for). Of course I'm sure there are events that allow "finds" for completing these sheets. :)
Just tell 'em white isn't a color. :unsure:

Well, yeah. But I don't want to start any arguments/debates over an ice-breaker sheet!

Speaking of colors, OK, you've all convinced me the Cat is blue. :unsure:

The true, and original Pocket Caches are also great for ice breakers at events to get to know one another, as Show Me The Cache coined the phrase ""is that a cache in your pocket or are you just happy to see me ""

Joe

Lame. Utterly lame.

It was referred to as a "pocket cache that is listed as a foreign country cache on GC.com"

The person who currently has it knows what it is, possibly knows its wrong & willingly uses the system to get foreign country cache claims.

So if I were to report this too, who would be the best person to refer this too so they can take action as they see fit, up to & including telling me to mind my own business as its allowed due to gandfathering?

And this info/background doesnt really surprise me as it seems this area is full of numbers runners. Thats fine if they want to fake logs, but then dont go claiming that you are above reproach among other things.

To us, (using a example situation, not really this group, just a example)

Its like the leader of the HamptonCornerscaching walking into a event, shouting out "come see my red, yellow, white, green jeep collection before I take them back home for the next event & by the way, I have a pocket cache you can log so you get credit on GC for a foreign country even though you never went there!"

As I recall. The pocket cache issue hit the blades of the fan at geowoodstock IV. There was a regular cache their that some one brougth from Iraq as well as several micros. There should be a fairly long thread re pocket caches, it was a very hot topic at the time. I know one of the local micro caches here was archived as a result of bing taken to GW IV as a pocket cache

It was referred to as a "pocket cache that is listed as a foreign country cache on GC.com"

The person who currently has it knows what it is, possibly knows its wrong & willingly uses the system to get foreign country cache claims.

So if I were to report this too, who would be the best person to refer this too so they can take action as they see fit, up to & including telling me to mind my own business as its allowed due to gandfathering?

Not enough information (and I'm sure you don't want to post the link or anything). But most likely you have an archived listing being abused by numbers ho's/countries cached in ho's. :) . It is possible it's a grandfathered moving cache, but it doesn't sound like it. I guess the main question I'd have is, is the cache listing archived?

And you'd just report it to the local reviewer who approves all the caches in your area, assuming the cache is (was) listed in your area. If archived, it can simply be "locked" from further logs being posted to it.

Hmm... Curious. My brother put up maps on my user page from my found PQ. (I may throttle that kid yet!) They included two moving caches (One in California, the other in Europe somewhere), two of Markwell's archived Photographers' Caches (one ended up in Manitoba, the other in Greece.) "NO! I have never cached in California, Manitoba, Greece or Italy! Remove those places from my map!" I have found caches in twelve states and the D of C. (Hmm... I may have to overcome my fear of ariplanes to log more state. Or drive to Virginia!)