Official Google Maps adds Terrain layer

benh57

Google maps has added a terrain layer to the official maps. It is a slick shaded terrain relief map which is easier to read than the topo+DOQ currently on the gc.com google maps.

Check it out:

http://maps.google.com/ - click Terrain.

Would it be possible to get this layer for the geocaching.com maps?

thanks,

-Ben

Looks like this took the place of the hybrid sat view / roads. Or am I missing something.

It's not supposed to be fully 'accurate', but it sure is easier to read (for the layperson, such as myself) than a standard topo map.

One other change is that 'Satellite' is now the same as the old 'Hybrid' mode. (ie, satellite appears to always show roads on it), BUT when you click on the label again, a small checkbox appears beneath the button with the ability to hide roads "show labels")

-Ben

Wow that is very pretty. I think it is safe to say that this will be added as an option to the Google Maps on Geocaching.com eventually. I cannot say when, though.

The new terrain Google maps do look very nice. However, before geocaching.com takes the programming time to add the feature to the gc.com maps, I would rather see the current maps first fixed to properly scroll, properly parse cache locations, no freeze up, etc. Let's fix what's broken before enhancing the maps function.