Garmin Colorado

AV Dezign

Anybody know any information as to the specs on the upcoming Hybrid GPS units from Garmin? The Colorado series is said to be coming out in in the beginning of next year and already in the hands of many stores for demonstration. Here is a scan of the 300 unit from a hunting magazine.

garmincolorado300hs8.jpg

If you know anything more about it it would be great, thanks.

I googled and found out that model "should be released spring '08. The large round button allows quick navigation to various functions from each page activated from options button on top right of unit (as you look at it.....opens a "window" on screen). Nice form factor overall, easy one handed operation and fast processor."

I'm glad that I've been procrastinating on getting a new GPS! :ph34r:

Edited by TrailGators

Have they not heard of touch screens? That would eliminate the need to those big round navigation buttons. Saves space AND allows for better navigationsince you just have to point with your fingers.

touch screens don't work with gloves... and if they do they sure don't work well

Have they not heard of touch screens? That would eliminate the need to those big round navigation buttons. Saves space AND allows for better navigationsince you just have to point with your fingers.

touch screens don't work with gloves... and if they do they sure don't work well

I don't think they work with screen protectors either. Plus the screens tend to get all full of fingerprints. I guess we'll hear how touch screens do when the Triton comes out. I'd rather have buttons so I can easily operate the unit with one hand.

I don't think they work with screen protectors either. Plus the screens tend to get all full of fingerprints. I guess we'll hear how touch screens do when the Triton comes out. I'd rather have buttons so I can easily operate the unit with one hand.

gee, my 9 year old palm pilot works with a screen protector. :(

i think they can figure it out...

gee, my 9 year old palm pilot works with a screen protector. :( i think they can figure it out...
I thought that was because you used a wand that put more pressure on the screen. Anyhow, it looks like they did figure it out because this unit has a main control button instead of a touchscreen. :D Edited by TrailGators

I absolutely do not want a touch screen on a field unit! In my car, it is just fine. Out walking...No thanks!

I have an 8525 for my phone. It's a touch screen device. I see both sides of the argument, it's useless with gloves or thick fingers (I'm personally stylus dependent for that reason), and the screen protector invariably gets the 'orange peel' effect making it difficult to read in the sun.

The plus side is that navigation is a cinch. If you want it, touch it... period.

The real interface revolution will be when the screen know where I'm pointing (or looking) and there is no direct contact. (insert sarcastic twinge here -->) I'm sure that will happen real soon.

I guess none of you have ever used an iPhone or iTouch? If you have you would know that touch screens are the way of the future. No problems what so ever. Buttons are so 1980's...

I don't remember seeing some sort of rocker/joystick on an iPhone/iPod Touch. I'm guessing that's what's on top of the 300 in the picture between those buttons. Most likely has a large screen for more display, Some people like that sort of thing, others don't.

I guess none of you have ever used an iPhone or iTouch? If you have you would know that touch screens are the way of the future. No problems what so ever. Buttons are so 1980's...

I don't remember seeing some sort of rocker/joystick on an iPhone/iPod Touch. I'm guessing that's what's on top of the 300 in the picture between those buttons. Most likely has a large screen for more display, Some people like that sort of thing, others don't.

As long as we are guessing, I am guessing it is wheel for scrolling like a Blackberry. Joysticks are usually on the bottom so you don't block the screen with your hand while operating. Edited by John E Cache

As long as we are guessing, I am guessing it is wheel for scrolling like a Blackberry. Joysticks are usually on the bottom so you don't block the screen with your hand while operating.

Am I the only one who thinks this things is ugly? if I had to guess the two buttons on the front/top are probably page buttons to switch screens or are possibly programmable. with so few buttons I would also guess it has a touch screen. That large "Thing" everyone is referring to as a rocker kinda looks like an exposed speaker.....

Maybe garmin is gonna make a unit with louder alert tones or voice prompts? Were all just guessing until garmin releases some real info.

From the Bass Pro site.

Garmin Colorado 400 Bluechart GPS Unit features:

* Pre-loaded with detailed Coastal U.S. marine charts including Great Lakes, Hawaii and Alaska

* Unique ''Rock 'N' Roller'' input device

* 65K Color TFT display

* 240 x 400 pixels

* 16 hours on AA batteries

* Accepts SD cards for optional downloaded maps

* 2-axis electronic compass

* Altimeter

* Temperature sensor

* Waterproof

* ANT™ Communications to wirelessly exchange routes, tracks, waypoints, and geocaches between two units

* Paperless Geocaching supports display of detailed geocache information

Binrat

From the Bass Pro site.

Binrat

Shouldn't that be a 3-axis compass? Or do we have to wait until the 2009 upgraded model for a good compass?

I do like the "detailed geocache information" feature. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it's truly detailed enough.

From the Bass Pro site.

* Pre-loaded with detailed Coastal U.S. marine charts including Great Lakes, Hawaii and Alaska

* 65K Color TFT display

* 240 x 400 pixels

* Altimeter

* Temperature sensor

* Waterproof

* ANT™ Communications to wirelessly exchange routes, tracks, waypoints, and geocaches between two units

Binrat

Thanks Binrat!!!

Colorado 400

531-955-00.jpg

From the Bass Pro site.

* 65K Color TFT display

* 240 x 400 pixels

* Altimeter

* Temperature sensor

* Waterproof

Binrat

The fact that they indicate a 2-axis compass leads me to believe that a 3-axis compass will be offered on top of the line models. Also, on the basis of the photo and my knowledge of G2 BlueChart, it looks like it can acommodate raster imagery.

larger picture:

garmin_colorado_400.jpg

And more information: http://www.engadget.com/2007/12/10/the-gar...chart-gps-unit/

Well that didn't take long. The Garmin "Colorado" rumor we mentioned yesterday appears to be closer to a reality today. According to reports, the new device will be actually be called the Colorado 400 Bluechart GPS, and will sport a slew of new features, the biggest of which is the ability to display aerial photos and / or USGS topographical maps. Additionally, the new device (aimed at the marine market) will feature detailed, coastal US marine charts, a new "Rock 'N' Roller" input wheel, a 65,000 color 240 x 400 display, an SD card slot, 2-axis compass, an altimeter, temperature sensor, plus ANT Communications (wireless exchange of routes, tracks, waypoints, and geocaches between two units). No official word on whether this is actually available, but supposedly you can order it right now for $599.99.

Looks like they're finally gonna compete with Delorme.

Edited by -Oz-

According to reports, the new device will be actually be called the Colorado 400 Bluechart GPS, and will sport a slew of new features, the biggest of which is the ability to display aerial photos and / or USGS topographical maps.

Looks like they're finally gonna compete with Delorme.

OK, the guys at Engadget didn't read my post accurately. I said it MAY be able to display aerial photos and / or USGS topographical maps.

So this is a replacement for the 76 series...when will the 60 series replacements come?

I hope we get the touch screen. That way, the unit will likely have a bigger hi-res screen!

I think this IS the replacement for the 60 and 76 series. The BassPro specs didn't list touch screen, but maybe they'll go the Triton route and only have that on high-end models.

Touchscreen is nice and has its place, but I don't think its in GPS units. I've never used a touchscreen GPS so I can't speak from personal experience but I can see it being too fragile for the outdoors environment.

I don't cache that much (anymore) and use my GPS more for climbing trips and it can take a beating, especially in less than sunny days. I have a phone (verizon xv6700) pda that is touchscreen and I have already got it replaced once with considerably less abuse than my GPS unit gets.

I also can't stand entering data on a soft-keyboard (aka touchscreen keyboard). Not being able to feel the buttons makes it ten times harder.

Also, while touchscreens DO work with screen protectors, the problem is replacing them. When you peel off the screen protector it can separate the layers/pressure-crystals in the touchscreen and cause damage to the digitizer.

So this is a replacement for the 76 series...when will the 60 series replacements come?

I hope we get the touch screen. That way, the unit will likely have a bigger hi-res screen!

I think this IS the replacement for the 60 and 76 series. The BassPro specs didn't list touch screen, but maybe they'll go the Triton route and only have that on high-end models.

I don't know about that. This looks more like a replacement for the 76 series since it has the same smooth aluminum finish as the the 76 series. Also, it will come with Marine Maps.

I have a feeling that they will release a more rugged replacement for the 60 series...

...OK, the guys at Engadget didn't read my post accurately. I said it MAY be able to display aerial photos and / or USGS topographical maps.

The Photo here shows arial photo's.

http://gpstracklog.typepad.com/gps_tracklo...on-the-gar.html

Of course that article refrences these forums...

2 Axis compass? Come on Garmin. The paperless caching may be nice. If Garmin does this right I may finally upgrade.

Edited by Renegade Knight

I certainly don't think this is speculation anymore being that both basspro.ca and basspro.com have this unit for sale on their websites for $599. I couldn't see if it was backordered or not. Seems like Garmin wanted something out in time for Xmas though. So far it seems exclusive to BP.

I think Bass Pro just jumped the gun. Is the page still live? They did the same thing ahead of the 60CSx release and Garmin made them pull the page down. I expect an announcement in January.

I posted this in our local thread and LLOT had a really good observation:

Before you start salivating too much, keep in mind that all that lucious aerial imagery comes as part of the BlueChart G2 map sets (professional grade maps intended for the professional mariner.) The list price for California from Point Arena to Puero Vallarta is $321... :unsure: There are a lot of things I like about Garmin but the pricing of their map data is not one of them. And by the way, there are no BlueChart map sets that contain Colorado... :unsure: Ironic, given the name of the product...
My hope is that Garmin is really releasing a handheld that can display raster imagery and that they will find a way to give us USGS quads and / or aerial photos at a reasonable price.
We are talking about the same company that now only gives you one unlock code with their maps. The Garmin trend seems to be making us dig deeper into our wallets....

You can get USGS Topo Quads free on-line for most states, and the quality of the Google Earth aerial pics ("satellite" wrongly call it) for free is better than most you can buy for the "consumer grade" / hobby price range.. The real gap is letting you put those into the GPS unit, rather than buying them from the GPS manufacturer. The manufacturer's sales / marketing gurus need to be convinced that they would sell more units (make more bucks) if they allowed that to happen, compared to selling the maps. Until that happens...... well, status quo. :unsure:

Side issue: Getting enough memory into the unit to put in a meaningful amount of USGS topos or aerials, without slowing down to uselessness, is not easy. The USGS topos & aerial from (for example) Delorme (to go on PN-20) I believe is considerably more compressed than the usual ones you can get / compress yourself. Delorme PN-20 is at the bleeding edge of that conundrum, but on the usable side of it (IMO). As memory price & processor speeds improve, hopefully things will improve rapidly. Fingers crossed. :unsure:

Edited by Klemmer & TeddyBearMama

Touch screen would be nice. But you need the alternate hard controls with a GPS.

I have the Garmin Nuvi 350 (with touch screen) and Garmin 60Cx (circular rocker) and much prefer the latter, especially for the field. I just wish Garmin would make a rocker as good as the one on my Magellan SporTrak Pro, which is larger and 100% accurate. The Garmin rockers are too small and 2/3 of the time I hit the left or right directions, the button treats it as an up or a down. I've seen other people having the same problem so I know it's not just me. This circle shown on the Colorado has a different form factor. Maybe they've fixed the problem.

Touch screen would be nice. But you need the alternate hard controls with a GPS.

I have the Garmin Nuvi 350 (with touch screen) and Garmin 60Cx (circular rocker) and much prefer the latter, especially for the field. I just wish Garmin would make a rocker as good as the one on my Magellan SporTrak Pro, which is larger and 100% accurate. The Garmin rockers are too small and 2/3 of the time I hit the left or right directions, the button treats it as an up or a down. I've seen other people having the same problem so I know it's not just me. This circle shown on the Colorado has a different form factor. Maybe they've fixed the problem.

MY GPS V has a nice Rocker. Large and works. Haven't messed much wiht the 60, never heard any complains about the Magellan Rocker on the sport track.

To answer another post The Bass Pro Shop's online add is still up as of this post.

It's actually BETTER to have the controls at the top because it allows you to hold the unit better, provided of course you design the controls so that they don't interfear with the screen. When you have the controls at the bottom which makes it dificult to hold the unit AND navigate since your palm can't actually hold the unit completely. I can't tell you how many times I almost dropped the 60CSx because I have to clinch the bottom of the unit to navigate.

It looks like this design is such. As far as I can tell, if you don't have a large hands or wear gloves, holding the unit in your left hand, you can roll the jog wheel without blocking the screen.

Edited by jcc123

For those interested this is Garmins description.

Colorado™ 400t

1st Quarter, 2008 Part Number: 010-00622-45

Suggested Retail Price: $ 642.84 USD

Take on the trails with Colorado 400t. This rugged, advanced handheld is packed with detailed topographic maps for all your hiking adventures not to mention 3-D map view, a high-sensitivity receiver, barometric altimeter, electric compass, SD card slot, picture viewer and color display. Exchange tracks, waypoints and geocaches wirelessly between other "buddy" units. When the going gets tough, Colorado leads the way.

Explore Backcountry

Colorado's preloaded topographic maps, 3-D map view and a built-in worldwide basemap with shaded relief give you all the tools for serious climbing or hiking. Map detail includes national, state and local parks and forests, along with terrain contours, elevation information, trails, rivers, lakes and points of interest. Just in case you're wondering how steep that hill really is, Colorado's 3-D map view helps you visualize your surroundings — giving you a better perspective of the elevation.

Share Wirelessly

With Colorado 400t you can share your waypoints, tracks, routes and geocaches wirelessly with other Colorado users. Now you can send your favorite hike to your buddy to enjoy or the location of a cache to find. Sharing data is easy. Just select "send" to transfer your information to other Colorado units within a 3-meter range.

Rock on. Find Fun

Intuitive and fun, Colorado features a Rock 'n Roller input wheel for easy one-handed operation and supports Geocaching.com GPX files for downloading geocaches and detail straight to your unit. Even customize Colorado's interface based on your favorite activity. Slim, lightweight and waterproof, Colorado is the perfect companion for all your outdoor pursuits.

Keep Your Fix

With its high-sensitivity, WAAS-enabled GPS receiver, Colorado 400t locates your position quickly and precisely and maintains its GPS location even in heavy cover and deep canyons. The advantage is clear — whether you're in deep woods or just near tall buildings and trees, you can count on Colorado to help you find your way when you need it the most.

Get Your Bearings

Colorado 400t has a built-in electronic compass that provides bearing information even while you're standing still, and its barometric altimeter tracks changes in pressure to pinpoint your precise altitude. You can even use the altimeter to plot barometric pressure over time, which can help you keep an eye on changing weather conditions.

Plug in and Go

Adding maps is easier than ever with Colorado's SD card slot. Conveniently plug in optional preloaded SD cards with MapSource data for your land and sea excursions. Just insert a MapSource card with detailed street maps, and Colorado provides turn-by-turn directions to your destination. The card slot is located inside the waterproof battery compartment, so you don't have to worry about getting it wet.

Colorado 400t: One tough handheld for all your outdoor pursuits.

Colorado™ 400c

1st Quarter, 2008 Part Number: 010-00622-61

Whether you're sailing the high seas or hiking the backcountry, Colorado 400c is your all-in-one adventure guide. Preloaded with BlueChart g2 coastal charts, Colorado is made with the saltwater mariner in mind. Packed with features, it includes a high-sensitivity receiver, barometric altimeter, electric compass, SD card slot, color display, picture viewer and more. Even exchange tracks, waypoints and geocaches wirelessly between other "buddy" units. When the going gets tough, Colorado leads the way.

Explore Coastal Waters

Colorado comes with built-in U.S. coastal charts, 3-D map view and a worldwide basemap with shaded relief — perfect for all you outdoor pursuits. Map detail includes shoreline details, depth contours, boat ramps and mile markers for thousands of lakes in the continental U.S.

Share Wirelessly

With Colorado 400c you can share your waypoints, tracks, routes and geocaches wirelessly with other Colorado users. Now you can send your favorite hike to your buddy to enjoy or the location of a cache to find. Sharing data is easy. Just select "send" to transfer your information to other Colorado units within a 3-meter range.

Rock on. Find Fun

Intuitive and fun, Colorado features a Rock 'n Roller input wheel for easy one-handed operation and supports Geocaching.com GPX files for downloading geocaches and detail straight to your unit. Even customize Colorado's interface based on your favorite activity. Slim, lightweight and waterproof, Colorado is the perfect companion for all your outdoor pursuits.

Keep Your Fix

With its high-sensitivity, WAAS-enabled GPS receiver, Colorado 400c locates your position quickly and precisely and maintains its GPS location even in heavy cover and deep canyons. The advantage is clear — whether you're in deep woods or just near tall buildings and trees, you can count on Colorado to help you find your way when you need it the most.

Get Your Bearings

Colorado 400c has a built-in electronic compass that provides bearing information even while you're standing still, and its barometric altimeter tracks changes in pressure to pinpoint your precise altitude. You can even use the altimeter to plot barometric pressure over time, which can help you keep an eye on changing weather conditions.

Plug in and Go

Adding maps is easier than ever with Colorado's SD card slot. Conveniently plug in optional preloaded SD cards with MapSource data for your land and sea excursions. Just insert a MapSource card with detailed street maps, and Colorado provides turn-by-turn directions to your destination. The card slot is located inside the waterproof battery compartment, so you don't have to worry about getting it wet.

Colorado 400c: One tough handheld for all your outdoor pursuits.

Physical & Performance:

Unit dimensions, WxHxD: 2.4" x 5.5" x 1.4" (6.0 x 13.9 x 3.5 cm) Display size, WxH: 1.5"W x 2.5"H (3.8 x 6.3 cm); 3" diag (7.6 cm) Display resolution, WxH: 200 x 400 pixels Display type: TFT color display Weight: 7.3 oz (206.9 g) with batteries Battery: 2 AA or 2 NiMH batteries (not included) Battery life: 16 hours Waterproof: yes (IPX7) Floats: no High-sensitivity receiver: yes PC interface: USB RoHS version available: yes

Maps & Memory:

Basemap: yes Ability to add maps: yes Built-in memory: 384 MB Accepts data cards: SD card (not included) Waypoints/favorites: 1000 Routes: 50 Track log: 10,000 points, 20 saved tracks

Features:

Automatic routing (turn by turn routing on roads): yes Electronic compass: yes Barometric altimeter: yes Geocaching mode: yes Outdoor GPS games: yes Hunt/fish calendar: yes Sun and moon information: yes Tide tables: no Area calculation: yes Custom POIs (ability to add additional points of interest): yes Additional: Picture viewer: yes

3D map view: yes (with mapping software)

Unit-to-unit transfer (shares data wirelessly with similar units): yes

Colorado™ 400t

1st Quarter, 2008 Part Number: 010-00622-45

Take on the trails with Colorado 400t. This rugged, advanced handheld is packed with detailed topographic maps for all your hiking adventures not to mention 3-D map view, a high-sensitivity receiver, barometric altimeter, electric compass, SD card slot, picture viewer and color display. Exchange tracks, waypoints and geocaches wirelessly between other "buddy" units. When the going gets tough, Colorado leads the way.

Explore Backcountry

Colorado's preloaded topographic maps, 3-D map view and a built-in worldwide basemap with shaded relief give you all the tools for serious climbing or hiking. Map detail includes national, state and local parks and forests, along with terrain contours, elevation information, trails, rivers, lakes and points of interest. Just in case you're wondering how steep that hill really is, Colorado's 3-D map view helps you visualize your surroundings — giving you a better perspective of the elevation.

Share Wirelessly

With Colorado 400t you can share your waypoints, tracks, routes and geocaches wirelessly with other Colorado users. Now you can send your favorite hike to your buddy to enjoy or the location of a cache to find. Sharing data is easy. Just select "send" to transfer your information to other Colorado units within a 3-meter range.

Rock on. Find Fun

Keep Your Fix

With its high-sensitivity, WAAS-enabled GPS receiver, Colorado 400t locates your position quickly and precisely and maintains its GPS location even in heavy cover and deep canyons. The advantage is clear — whether you're in deep woods or just near tall buildings and trees, you can count on Colorado to help you find your way when you need it the most.

Get Your Bearings

Colorado 400t has a built-in electronic compass that provides bearing information even while you're standing still, and its barometric altimeter tracks changes in pressure to pinpoint your precise altitude. You can even use the altimeter to plot barometric pressure over time, which can help you keep an eye on changing weather conditions.

Plug in and Go

Colorado 400t: One tough handheld for all your outdoor pursuits.

Colorado™ 400c

1st Quarter, 2008 Part Number: 010-00622-61

Whether you're sailing the high seas or hiking the backcountry, Colorado 400c is your all-in-one adventure guide. Preloaded with BlueChart g2 coastal charts, Colorado is made with the saltwater mariner in mind. Packed with features, it includes a high-sensitivity receiver, barometric altimeter, electric compass, SD card slot, color display, picture viewer and more. Even exchange tracks, waypoints and geocaches wirelessly between other "buddy" units. When the going gets tough, Colorado leads the way.

Explore Coastal Waters

Colorado comes with built-in U.S. coastal charts, 3-D map view and a worldwide basemap with shaded relief — perfect for all you outdoor pursuits. Map detail includes shoreline details, depth contours, boat ramps and mile markers for thousands of lakes in the continental U.S.

Share Wirelessly

With Colorado 400c you can share your waypoints, tracks, routes and geocaches wirelessly with other Colorado users. Now you can send your favorite hike to your buddy to enjoy or the location of a cache to find. Sharing data is easy. Just select "send" to transfer your information to other Colorado units within a 3-meter range.

Rock on. Find Fun

Keep Your Fix

With its high-sensitivity, WAAS-enabled GPS receiver, Colorado 400c locates your position quickly and precisely and maintains its GPS location even in heavy cover and deep canyons. The advantage is clear — whether you're in deep woods or just near tall buildings and trees, you can count on Colorado to help you find your way when you need it the most.

Get Your Bearings

Colorado 400c has a built-in electronic compass that provides bearing information even while you're standing still, and its barometric altimeter tracks changes in pressure to pinpoint your precise altitude. You can even use the altimeter to plot barometric pressure over time, which can help you keep an eye on changing weather conditions.

Plug in and Go

Colorado 400c: One tough handheld for all your outdoor pursuits.

Physical & Performance:

Unit dimensions, WxHxD: 2.4" x 5.5" x 1.4" (6.0 x 13.9 x 3.5 cm) Display size, WxH: 1.5"W x 2.5"H (3.8 x 6.3 cm); 3" diag (7.6 cm) Display resolution, WxH: 200 x 400 pixels Display type: TFT color display Weight: 7.3 oz (206.9 g) with batteries Battery: 2 AA or 2 NiMH batteries (not included) Battery life: 16 hours Waterproof: yes (IPX7) Floats: no High-sensitivity receiver: yes PC interface: USB RoHS version available: yes

Maps & Memory:

Basemap: yes Ability to add maps: yes Built-in memory: 384 MB Accepts data cards: SD card (not included) Waypoints/favorites: 1000 Routes: 50 Track log: 10,000 points, 20 saved tracks

Features:

Automatic routing (turn by turn routing on roads): yes Electronic compass: yes Barometric altimeter: yes Geocaching mode: yes Outdoor GPS games: yes Hunt/fish calendar: yes Sun and moon information: yes Tide tables: no Area calculation: yes Custom POIs (ability to add additional points of interest): yes Additional: Picture viewer: yes

3D map view: yes (with mapping software)

Unit-to-unit transfer (shares data wirelessly with similar units): yes

It looks like the 400 is 0.6" shorter than the 60CSX and slightly wider (0.1"). The loaded 3D topos sounds cool. The OPs post shows a Colorado 300 any info on that?

It's actually BETTER to have the controls at the top because it allows you to hold the unit better, provided of course you design the controls so that they don't interfear with the screen. ...

Having used both types of controls, I agree they are better at the top of the screen for one handed use. When I hold a GPS my thumb is at the top of the screen. When the controls are at the bottom I have to flip the GPS up to use my thumb so I don't have as good of a grip.

I'm a bit disappointed that the screen is still so small. I guess they had to do it to save on the power requirements. Still, I think they could have made it bigger.

The unit looks to have a quad helix antenna? At least a short one or do you guys think that the wireless antenna?

Colorado™ 400t

Rock on. Find Fun

Intuitive and fun, Colorado features a Rock 'n Roller input wheel for easy one-handed operation and supports Geocaching.com GPX files for downloading geocaches and detail straight to your unit. Even customize Colorado's interface based on your favorite activity.

I remember another forum member a while back wishing the GPSr manufacturers would release firmware specific to geocaching. Sounds like Garmin was listening. I bet geocaching is one of the activity interfaces you can choose from. And with so much built-in memory, some people may never need to use the SD slot (assuming most of the 384MB is available).

...<snip>

And with so much built-in memory, some people may never need to use the SD slot (assuming most of the 384MB is available).

I dunno. When it comes to memory, my motto is "Too much is never enough." If I could chuck the world on a 4 GB SDHC chip and keep it in there, that's one less thing for me to keep track of.

But I'm not really in this yet, so I don't know what it'd take.