Garmin Colorado - When and How Much?

sli23sli

I was looking to find prices on the Colorado versions and I was only able to find one place on the internet that sold them. http://www.megagps.com/index.asp?PageActio...amp;ProdID=1492 They said the shipping would be late January- i.e they are taking early orders. The prices they were quoting was $440 for the 300 and a $100 more for the 400's . I'm sure there are more places that are taking early orders. Is that about the best we can expect pricewise and when will they be in the outlets so I can get my hands on one and try it out?

I was looking to find prices on the Colorado versions and I was only able to find one place on the internet that sold them. http://www.megagps.com/index.asp?PageActio...amp;ProdID=1492 They said the shipping would be late January- i.e they are taking early orders. The prices they were quoting was $440 for the 300 and a $100 more for the 400's . I'm sure there are more places that are taking early orders. Is that about the best we can expect pricewise and when will they be in the outlets so I can get my hands on one and try it out?

I have seen them at REI, but then they typically start out at the top of the price point.

Tiger GPS has them at $449 and $549. REI has them at $499 and $599. Froogle came up with a place selling the 300 for 397.99, some place called marine products outlet. I've heard mid Feb., but neither what megagps or what I heard means much. I'm hoping for $399 for the 300 after they start hitting the streets.

Edited by sanramonhunter

No website any more - I used to run www.sourcegps.com, however to keep my costs down and have fun with this, I shut it down. I make little money on my product and do this as a hobby (been selling GPS and consulting in the industry) for 8 years.

Shipping is based on your location (I charge actual shipping costs, not an inflated fee). Ground typically runs around 8 or 9 dollars.

You can e-mail me at itecsinc@aol.com or at steevireno@aol.com. I have a solid hisory in selling Garmin (sold over 300 units last year, all by word of mouth).

Edited by Source_GPS
No website any more - I used to run www.sourcegps.com, however to keep my costs down and have fun with this, I shut it down. I make little money on my product and do this as a hobby (been selling GPS and consluting in the industry) for 8 years.

Shipping is based on your location (I charge actual shipping costs, not an inflated fee). Ground typically runs around 8 or 9 dollars.

You can e-mail me at itecsinc@aol.com or at steevireno@aol.com. I have a solid hisory in selling Garmin (sold over 300 units last year, all by word of mouth).

:(

Thought I'd pass this along, pcnation.com has the 400t for $487.63 with FREE shipping. (link)

They said they expect them in stock the beginning of next month (feb) but it could be sooner or maybe even later... either way I was able to place a pre-order with them and they told me my card will not be charged until it ships. Easily the best price on the web I've found...

Thought I'd pass this along, pcnation.com has the 400t for $487.63 with FREE shipping. (link)

They said they expect them in stock the beginning of next month (feb) but it could be sooner or maybe even later... either way I was able to place a pre-order with them and they told me my card will not be charged until it ships. Easily the best price on the web I've found...

WOW!! That is a $150 less than MSRP and I think any and all taxes are included in the quoted price. The price is starting to make the Colorado look better. That is $39.00 less than the best price I've been able to find.

They also have the 300 for $406.35 with FREE 3 day shipping through FedEx. They offer DHL overnight, but you have to pay for that and DHL has not been very reliable as of late.

Edited for spelling: 01/12/08 3:12am CST

Edited by 3 Hawks

Has anyone has any dealings with pcnation.com??? This is a tempting offer and I would hate to miss it.....

I spoke to a saleman at pcnation and they said the price is not guaranteed since they do not even have the units in stock at this time. They don't know when they will receive the units and they have no idea what their final price point will be. In other words, the price they list means NOTHING at this time!!

BTW: Illinois residents will have to pay sales tax.

Has anyone has any dealings with pcnation.com??? This is a tempting offer and I would hate to miss it.....

I spoke to a saleman at pcnation and they said the price is not guaranteed since they do not even have the units in stock at this time. They don't know when they will receive the units and they have no idea what their final price point will be. In other words, the price they list means NOTHING at this time!!

I called to make sure the price is legit. The saleman stated the same price I saw online. He said they are hoping around the beginning of February. I said thanks. Then later that day I ordered a 400T online through their website. I have a receipt with what I am paying. Once you have that the price is locked it. Zero for shipping zero for tax.

I called to make sure the price is legit. The saleman stated the same price I saw online. He said they are hoping around the beginning of February. I said thanks. Then later that day I ordered a 400T online through their website. I have a receipt with what I am paying. Once you have that the price is locked it. Zero for shipping zero for tax.

Well, good luck with that. The saleman I spoke to specifically stated that the listed price is not a guarantee since they are in a pre-order/back-order status. You credit card will not be billed at this time and if the price changes, an e-mail would be sent to advise of any changes and to alllow you to give the change the thumbs up or down.

If you lived in Illinois, you would see the listed price means nothing. Illinois residents are required to pay sales tax on top of the listed price.

Does you "receipt" say anything about a price guarantee??

Edited by 3 Hawks

Well, good luck with that. The saleman I spoke to specifically stated that the listed price is not a guarantee since they are in a pre-order/back-order status. You credit card will not be billed at this time and if the price changes, an e-mail would be sent to advise of any changes and to alllow you to give the change the thumbs up or down.

If you lived in Illinois, you would see the listed price means nothing. Illinois residents are required to pay sales tax on top of the listed price.

First of all I am not in IL. When I talked to the salesman he asked where I was located and assured I would not have to pay sales tax.

Second. I don't know how you can order something and get a receipt and then have them change it on you before it ships. Why even put a price on the item then. That does not make sense. I have yet to ever in my lifetime have an order price change on me before the item shipped or after. I'm not even sure if its legal. I own my own ecommerce web store and I don't operate in this manner. If I did I probably would not have much business for very long.

Third, They must have a slight idea of what price to charge based on MSRP. If not they are complete idiots. I think what he is telling you if Garmin decides to change their price before they are released he will have to in order to cover themselves. That is understandable. There is no guarantees when it comes to that. IF they do not, well the price should stand.

Fourth. I could care a less. I don't have to have this thing right now. If they pull the email price change on me, I still have option to say yes or no and look elsewhere. At a price that low I will take my chance. I will let you know how it turns out.

First of all I am not in IL. When I talked to the salesman he asked where I was located and assured I would not have to pay sales tax.

Second. I don't know how you can order something and get a receipt and then have them change it on you before it ships. Why even put a price on the item then. That does not make sense. I have yet to ever in my lifetime have an order price change on me before the item shipped or after. I'm not even sure if its legal. I own my own ecommerce web store and I don't operate in this manner. If I did I probably would not have much business for very long.

Third, They must have a slight idea of what price to charge based on MSRP. If not they are complete idiots. I think what he is telling you if Garmin decides to change their price before they are released he will have to in order to cover themselves. That is understandable. There is no guarantees when it comes to that. IF they do not, well the price should stand.

Fourth. I could care a less. I don't have to have this thing right now. If they pull the email price change on me, I still have option to say yes or no and look elsewhere. At a price that low I will take my chance. I will let you know how it turns out.

First. I'm glad you don't live in the state of Illinois. Entirely too many Bears fans.

Second. Pcnation is not a distributor. Their distributor may change the price they charge pcnation at any time. Furthermore, you have not yet paid for anything since they have not even received the item to sell you. They don't know when they will get the items to sell. They don't know how many units they will receive. You did not exhange money for any good or service. You gave them you credit card number in order to be near the front of the line if and when they receive the item. Legality has nothing to do with anything since no money has yet exchanged and you have no written price guarantee. Your receipt is not a guarantee since it is only a receipt for future consideration. Bait and switch is not an issue since their site states they do not have the item in stock and it is in a pre-order/back-order status.

Third. They are selling the 400T at $7.00 over the distributor price. I know a distributor and he simply shook his head when he saw their posted price. They are not charging for delivery. So, they are essentially selling the item at either no profit or at a loss. They may be hoping for piggy back purchases, like mapping software and micro SD cards. I can't comment on their intelligence or lack there of by posting a price so close to the distributor cost.

Fourth. I'm glad you are in a position to take a chance on the price. If everything goes well, you will have made a great purchase. If things go bad, you have options. Pcnation is not a fly-by-night operation and you have consumer protection through your credit card company. They may be forced to increase their list price, but they may honor the price you pre-ordered at. Effectively, you have nothing to loose.

Fifth. I did not invent what I was told over the phone by the pcnation salesman.

Good luck and keep us posted.

First. I'm glad you don't live in the state of Illinois. Entirely too many Bears fans.

Second. Pcnation is not a distributor. Their distributor may change the price they charge pcnation at any time. Furthermore, you have not yet paid for anything since they have not even received the item to sell you. They don't know when they will get the items to sell. They don't know how many units they will receive. You did not exhange money for any good or service. You gave them you credit card number in order to be near the front of the line if and when they receive the item. Legality has nothing to do with anything since no money has yet exchanged and you have no written price guarantee. Your receipt is not a guarantee since it is only a receipt for future consideration. Bait and switch is not an issue since their site states they do not have the item in stock and it is in a pre-order/back-order status.

Third. They are selling the 400T at $7.00 over the distributor price. I know a distributor and he simply shook his head when he saw their posted price. They are not charging for delivery. So, they are essentially selling the item at either no profit or at a loss. They may be hoping for piggy back purchases, like mapping software and micro SD cards. I can't comment on their intelligence or lack there of by posting a price so close to the distributor cost.

Fourth. I'm glad you are in a position to take a chance on the price. If everything goes well, you will have made a great purchase. If things go bad, you have options. Pcnation is not a fly-by-night operation and you have consumer protection through your credit card company. They may be forced to increase their list price, but they may honor the price you pre-ordered at. Effectively, you have nothing to loose.

Fifth. I did not invent what I was told over the phone by the pcnation salesman.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Right. I by no means am saying that you invented what you posted. It is hard to say we guarantee the price when the units are not even delivered yet. I'm just saying it would be dumb to advertise a price and have people order with that price and then have them come back and say " just kidding you really owe us this much more". After shipping and CC processing they are not going to make a dime if the price is that close to cost.

If you can afford to pay REI's price, they have a fantastic return policy which makes the extra money paid worth it, if you have problems with the GPS unit.

I agree. If it was not for their return policy I would be stuck wih a Triton 2000. They took it back after trying to get it in working order for a couple of weeks and I got a refund. I have seen posts on other forums where people bought online from vendors that only have 2 week return policy or that do not allow returns of units that have been used and are stuck hoping Magellan release firmware that will get them working. Not a position I would want to be in. I ordered my Colorado 400t from REI due to their great return policy.

I have to agree with 3 hawks - I am a distributor and those guys are selling them for less than we pay for them. Best I can offer is 399 on the 300 and 499 on the 400's. After that, I am losing money - like some places, I don't make money off of shipping.

In fact, I have a conversation thread going with Garmin to find out how other people are getting these for less than a distributor's price - If they're not losing money, I want to know why so I can either have a higher profit margin, or pass the the deal to my customers.

Edited by Source_GPS

I should probably also add, that becuase competition is so great I am thinking of offering double the manufacturer's warranty. If any manufacturer's defect (and this does not inlcude dropping it from a cliff or going scuba diving with it) occurs to the device within the 2nd year period, I'll replace it.

Any feedback on this idea would be helpful.

I have to agree with 3 hawks - I am a distributor and those guys are selling them for less than we pay for them. Best I can offer is 399 on the 300 and 499 on the 400's. After that, I am losing money - like some places, I don't make money off of shipping.

In fact, I have a conversation thread going with Garmin to find out how other people are getting these for less than a distributor's price - If they're not losing money, I want to know why so I can either have a higher profit margin, or pass the the deal to my customers.

If my order does not go for advertised price I will get a hold of you for one. What kind of time frame are you thinking for the 400T?

Garmin's prediction is by the end of this month, however history has shown us that they are almost 100% delayed typically by 2-4 weeks.

I have Nuvi 880's on order (the voice-activated ones) and they were due out 2nd quarter (and their website still shows that). However, our order system reflects a new ship date of 8/22/08 as Garmin is reporting.

I'm surprised they don't have more promotion about this on their website, but REI has an exclusive on the Colorado 400t for the next month. See this page:

http://www.rei.com/product/754440

Patty

It isn't clear how big of a deal this really is. I called REI last week and they expected to start shipping 400t's on 1/27. Best case they might have an exclusive deal for 2 weeks if Garmin ships on time.

GO$Rs

I'm surprised they don't have more promotion about this on their website, but REI has an exclusive on the Colorado 400t for the next month. See this page:

http://www.rei.com/product/754440

Patty

It isn't clear how big of a deal this really is. I called REI last week and they expected to start shipping 400t's on 1/27. Best case they might have an exclusive deal for 2 weeks if Garmin ships on time.

GO$Rs

What is exclusive about it?

I am not trying to fuel a debate or anything ;) but I spoke with PCNation out of curiousity. I was told that the price will be what is posted or very very close. According to the rep PC can sell them at that price because they are not the first to get the units. If you wait a couple more weeks after the release date then you save a little.

UPDATE ON AVAILABILITY:

According to my Garmin ordering system (which they just updated) the 300 and 400c should be in to the dealers on the 28th of this month. The 400i has been moved out to 3/14 and no date given for the 400t.

Steve

any news on stock? looks like all the sources other than REI are out of stock

Just buy the 300. Take the $$ you save and get the Topo2008 DVD so you can have maps on your computer AND your unit. The 400t and 300 are identical in form and function in every other way except the 300 doesnt have preloaded maps and has less internal memory (although still has plenty).

Just a suggestion. :smile:

Just buy the 300. Take the $$ you save and get the Topo2008 DVD so you can have maps on your computer AND your unit. The 400t and 300 are identical in form and function in every other way except the 300 doesnt have preloaded maps and has less internal memory (although still has plenty).

Just a suggestion. :laughing:

Just fyi The 300 has more usable memory than the 400t. Only a hand full of the 400t had more memory. All the new 400t's only have 148mb of usable internal memory. The 300 has 389mb of usable memory. And the 300 has a better world base map too.

You can buy the 300 and topo for less than the 400t and have more memory and use the dvd on your computer too.