Garmin Etrex H (Yellow)

Tarot

Hi Everyone

I currently use the original Etrex and am considering getting the newer H version for the better reception in difficult areas. I am happy with the non mapping units because I use my car sat nav for road navigation to the sites.

My question is : Does the new H version have the same limit of six characters for the waypoint name, or has this issue been fixed with a firmware update?. I know that you can strip some characters from the waypoint name with 3rd party software, but I like to just use mapsource or direct downloads from GC.com.

Regards Tarot

Edited by Tarot

Hi Everyone

I currently use the original Etrex and am considering getting the newer H version for the better reception in difficult areas. I am happy with the non mapping units because I use my car sat nav for road navigation to the sites.

My question is : Does the new H version have the same limit of six characters for the waypoint name, or has this issue been fixed with a firmware update?. I know that you can strip some characters from the waypoint name with 3rd party software, but I like to just use mapsource or direct downloads from GC.com.

Regards Tarot

GSAK is the only software I know of that can strip the "GC". It's free for a couple of weeks before you start getting the nagging screen to buy it. So, use it once to strip the GC off your current waypoints, then do it manually in MapSource as you download individual waypoints.

Hi Everyone

Regards Tarot

Yes, it still has 6 letters.

Hi Everyone

Regards Tarot

GSAK is the only software I know of that can strip the "GC".

GPSBabel has done this since 1.3.3.

/*

* A rather horrible special case hack.

* If the target length is "6" and the source length is "7" and

* the first two characters are "GC", we'll assume it's one of the

* the new seven digit geocache numbers and special case whacking

* the 'G' off the front.

It, like GSAK, can also give your waypoints sensible names instead of record numbers.

Thank you to everyone who has replied to this topic. I did contact Garmin with regard to any future updates and received the following reply.

Thank you for contacting Garmin(Europe)Ltd.

The software on the eTrex H does have a limit of 6 potential characters

in a waypoint. This is not something that there at present any plans to

change.

Kind regards

Samuel Taylor Garmin (Europe) Ltd

When I do need to strip the characters, I use the free software "cachemagnet", the download can be found here.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/cachemagnet

In the file menu choose "Transform", this removes the GC and replaces two extra characters at the end of the name to indicate the terrain difficulty. If these are chopped off by the Etrex, is does not matter. The maps in Cachemagnet are great, and the bird’s eye view is far better than Google Earth.

Regards Tarot.