The Geo-Quahog

BBWolf+3Pigs

The 2008 Little Rhody Geo-Quahog is a micro-geocoin from the Ocean State, brought to you by several local Rhode Island cachers. In celebration of the diminutive size of the state, it is being minted in hopes of it being the smallest Geocoin out there (and we think it is). What else would you expect from “Little Rhody”?

Information about these coins:

• 18mm x 18mm

• Trackable at Geocaching.com with their own icon and a "RI" prefix

quahogbig32.jpgquahogbig16.jpg

• Created by several Rhode Island geocachers and minted through Landsharkz

• 200 Antique Bronze Geo-Quahogs and 40 Antique Silver Geo-Quahogs will be sold through Dorkfish Coins starting Monday, April 14th.

Even though it is only 18mmx18mm, this quahog (pronounced by the locals “kwa’-hog”) is a faithful reproduction of Rhode Island’s official state shell (visit http://seagrant.gso.uri.edu/factsheets/fsquahog.html for more information on the quahog). The obverse of the coin is carved in relief, looking very much like a real quahog. It reads “2008 – Little Rhody”. The reverse is flat, and includes the tracking number (which is easy to read!) and “Track this Quahog at Geocaching.com”. The coins have an “RI” prefix and their own unique icon.

The coins are available in three finishes. The Regular Edition of 200 coins (RE) available will be in Antique Bronze. There will be 40 Limited Edition (LE) available coins minted in Antique Silver. There will also be 60 Artist Edition coins in Matte Gold which will not be for sale. They were minted for the Rhode Islanders responsible for bringing you this coin and will not be sold anywhere. However, one of these Artist Edition coins will be given away through Dorkfish Coins by means of a raffle. Otherwise, if you want a truly complete set, you’ll have to find one in a cache, or maybe make friends with one of the Rhode Island cachers and ask real nicely for a trade! You can see the two other finishes at by following the above links.

The photos really don’t do the coin justice. They have to be seen to really be appreciated – they truly look like tiny quahogs. Yes, that is a dime they are next to…did I mention they were small! The side view shows the coin next two two stacked nickels.

proof_brassonly.jpg

proof_obverse.jpg

proof_reverse.jpg

(Note: The copper was a sample, and that finish is not available)

proof_thickness.jpg

I love clams and my favourite niece lives in Pawtucket so I'm in for a couple.

You're correct about them being the most microscopic of micros.... the South Carolina micros measure 25mmx17mm (though not round but shaped like the state).

I love these little micros! ;) Just for clarification, is the LE geo-quahog 2008 made of the standard base metal (I'm guessing brass) with an antique silver finish? Just so there is no confusion with the D22 2007 Quahog which was substantially larger in size, minted in .925 sterling silver and previously sold by Dorkfish.

:D

Hubby is from Rhode Island and would LOVE to have these! :mad: I went to the raffle link and got an error message while trying to check out. Are the tickets all sold already?

The tickets will be available for purchase starting Monday at 7pm MDT along with the coins themselves. If you are intersted in only purchasing a raffle ticket(s) please send me an email & I will send out a paypal invoice to you directly. Unfortunately my website has a few glitches which is the reason for the error message. If you purchase anything from the site and add a raffle ticket then it will work just fine.

These coins are really cute. The Rhode Island folks and Landsharkz did a great job!

Hello!!!

Rhode Island??? Well...Greetings from Rhodes island in Greece! :D

Our island was named for your island. :laughing:

Really? I didn't know that!

I just realized ( have a dime in my hands right now) how small is this micro!!! It is a beautiful baby!!! :D

I hope to see one from close one day! :laughing:

I think the Texas Micro is smaller. I had a traveling Texas Micro in hand once. It was so tiny I was afraid that I would lose it before I could move to another cache. :rolleyes: If I remember correctly, it was as small as, if not smaller than, a dime.

CF30

I guess we'll have to have a battle royale with the Texas coin to see who is indeed smaller ;) .

But I thought everything was bigger in Texas!

Wow those are small! Finally dug around deep enough in my pile of coin binders to unearth an NC micro, which is between dime and penny sized. Looks like the geo-quahog is the same diameter, but overall a bit smaller due to the shape.

I can almost entirely cover the quahog with a dime. Only the tiniest of slivers shows (the very littlest bit of the "point" by the "y" in Rhody).

Wow those are small! Finally dug around deep enough in my pile of coin binders to unearth an NC micro, which is between dime and penny sized. Looks like the geo-quahog is the same diameter, but overall a bit smaller due to the shape.

I was at an event, and when shown the quahog, an attendee thought it is smaller than both the Texas and NC micro coins.

(edited to make it readable)

Edited by BBWolf+3Pigs

Wanted to chime in that BBWolf brought a prototype out to the islands for all of us to drool over a while back. The coin is fan-freaking-tastic! It has so much going for it: Ultra small, Great design, and a beautiful 3D relief sculpt. Very well done! Just don't take it out of it's plastic sleeve on a windy day, or sneeze while holding one, as you may never see it again! :ph34r:

Tiki

Edited by tiki

Hmm...is that the smallest micro or there is a smaller sized one?

I know that a huge geocoin exist, but what about the smallest one?

Is that the little Rhody?

After getting my Rhoddies I have to say the Nudibranchs may be smaller.... but they are sure close.

Edit: Put all my nano coins together and the Lil Rhody seems to be the nanoest. Here's the proof;

Rhodynanofriends.jpg

Edited by Droo

I just got an email today saying I won the Little Rhody Raffle!

Thank you so much, I haven't won a coin before! :D:lol:

I am confused though,(okay so it doesn't really take much to confuse me, but still) in this thread it says "one of these Artist Edition (matte gold) coins will be given away through Dorkfish Coins by means of a raffle", but in my email it says "you won the Satin Silver Little Rhody Quahog Geocoin that was raffled off through Dorkfish Coins". I want so much to be excited but I don't know which to be excited FOR. :P

Thank you so much, I haven't won a coin before! :):P

I am confused though,(okay so it doesn't really take much to confuse me, but still) in this thread it says "one of these Artist Edition (matte gold) coins will be given away through Dorkfish Coins by means of a raffle", but in my email it says "you won the Satin Silver Little Rhody Quahog Geocoin that was raffled off through Dorkfish Coins". I want so much to be excited but I don't know which to be excited FOR. :D

Seeing as there was no Satin Silver, I am hoping that there was a typo. I gave up one of my Satin Gold coins for the raffle.

Congrats! Now you just have to buy one of each of the other finishes for a whole set! :lol:

Thank you so much, I haven't won a coin before! :):D

I am confused though,(okay so it doesn't really take much to confuse me, but still) in this thread it says "one of these Artist Edition (matte gold) coins will be given away through Dorkfish Coins by means of a raffle", but in my email it says "you won the Satin Silver Little Rhody Quahog Geocoin that was raffled off through Dorkfish Coins". I want so much to be excited but I don't know which to be excited FOR. :)

Seeing as there was no Satin Silver, I am hoping that there was a typo. I gave up one of my Satin Gold coins for the raffle.

Congrats! Now you just have to buy one of each of the other finishes for a whole set! :lol:

At the time they came out I didn't have the funds to buy both available finishes so I ordered a regular edition and raffle tickets. I guess I have good reason to get the limited one now too! :P

Just got a LE and 2 RE. I just started caching today after a friend introduced me to it but I hope I can find one of the AE in a cache around the East Bay. I also hope(the nature of a Rhode Islander i guess) I get these in time to take the extra RE with me to Hawaii so I can see if it'll get back here to the east coast!