Paperless Geocaching with Nintendo DS Homebrew: Solution Here!

Paperless Geocaching with Nintendo DS Homebrew: Solution

I am using Datel Games n Music homebrew card, but this should work on just about any of them. This card only cost me about $20

After a few hours of converting files and playing around with some homebrew programs on the DS, I finally figured out a good way to store geocache info on the DS homebrew card. First you need to download the GSAK geocaching application on your PC. Found Here: (http://gsak.net/)

When you have this upload your .gpx files into the program. Then go to File>Export>HTML

It will come up with a bunch of options but leave everything the same except go to the advanced tab and at the bottom click .html instead of .htm (I don't think you have to do this but I did it anyway)

Next export the folder to a place where you can find it (it is called caches by default. Then copy the entire file onto your flash card.

Now download the Bunjalloo DS homebrew web browser application onto your computer, unzip the file, and put the .NDS file and data file onto your flash card. This is found here: (http://code.google.com/p/quirkysoft/)

Now you must patch the NDS file with DLDI, (SO your card can read it) DLDI info here : (http://wiki.pocketheaven.com/DLDI) and here (http://dldi.drunkencoders.com/index.php?title=Main_Page)

Now put your card into the DS and start up Bunjalloo DS. Once the home screen comes up click the green down arrow on the bottom of the screen and type file://Cache/_1index.html

It will come up to the navigation screen and will have all of your caches sorted by name and cache number. just follow the links like a web page, but this is not online, it is local viewing. If you have a DS homebrew card and a DS and need any more help feel free to PM me. Thanks, I hope this is a good solution to paperless geocaching!

100_3950-1.jpg

100_3951.jpg

100_3953.jpg

100_3954.jpg

Edited by 5bikerhiker5

no matter what you do with the DS, online or not, its still slow and the pages are squeezed together. do what i do, use my PSPs online capabilities and have three different pages on at once. wifi must be around for the DS. you can keep the pages on your PSP, even when shut off

no matter what you do with the DS, online or not, its still slow and the pages are squeezed together. do what i do, use my PSPs online capabilities and have three different pages on at once. wifi must be around for the DS. you can keep the pages on your PSP, even when shut off

The method that I explained DOES use offline webpages. It uses a homebrew web browser to view gpx. files that are turned into .html format and saved on the flash memory of the homebrew flash card. It works very nicely, and sorts the caches many different ways, it loads instantly because it is just loading off the card, and it displays all the info you need (including logs and hints)

Oh, and also there's no limit to the amount of cache pages you have stored. The memory that comes with it can store 1000's but I have a 2gig card which could store way more than anyone needs.

Edited by 5bikerhiker5

I am using Datel Games n Music homebrew card, but this should work on just about any of them. This card only cost me about $20

After a few hours of converting files and playing around with some homebrew programs on the DS, I finally figured out a good way to store geocache info on the DS homebrew card.

First you need to download the GSAK geocaching application on your PC. Found Here: (http://gsak.net/)

When you have this upload your .gpx files into the program. Then go to File>Export>HTML

It will come up with a bunch of options but leave everything the same except go to the advanced tab and at the bottom click .html instead of .htm (I don't think you have to do this but I did it anyway)

Next export the folder to a place where you can find it (it is called caches by default. Then copy the entire file onto your flash card.

Now download the Bunjalloo DS homebrew web browser application onto your computer, unzip the file, and put the .NDS file and data file onto your flash card. This is found here: (http://code.google.com/p/quirkysoft/)

Now you must patch the NDS file with DLDI, (SO your card can read it) DLDI info here : (http://wiki.pocketheaven.com/DLDI) and here (http://dldi.drunkencoders.com/index.php?title=Main_Page)

Now put your card into the DS and start up Bunjalloo DS. Once the home screen comes up click the green down arrow on the bottom of the screen and type file://Cache/_index.html

It will come up to the navigation screen and will have all of your caches sorted by name and cache number. just follow the links like a web page, but this is not online, it is local viewing.

If you have a DS homebrew card and a DS and need any more help feel free to PM me. Thanks, I hope this is a good solution to paperless geocaching!

Great solution.

Thank you.

I don't want to sound like I am criticizing your solution, 'cause if it works for you that is GREAT!

But I don't understand how this is better than a $15.00 PDA.

I like the fact that if my Palm gets crushed, dropped, dunked or otherwise damaged, the $ loss is not that great. That's the reason I stopped using my Treo 650 for paperless. It now resides in a Dry-Pak in my bag

Plus, getting the info into a Palm is straight forward.

I appreciate that a lot of what we have now is here because of the hard work of people just like you.

PP

I'm not saying it's a better solution than anything else, just a good solution for people who already have a ds and use homebrew. (theres quite a lot of homebrew ds users) I would not suggest going out and buying a ds and homebrew card because that would cost about $160 and I'm sure there are cheaper options. I saw some other threads about people wanting to do this so this should work for them.

I should try this... I have a DS. Although I'm not sure if it beats my solution of iPod paperless caching!

I'm not that big of a fan of homebrew either.. hmm...

I also tried the ipod way, but theres a limit to the amount of caches stored (1000 notes=300-500 caches). This is basically infinite and sorts them by name, code, distance, ect. It's also really quick using the touch screen on the DS!

Edited by 5bikerhiker5

that doesnt look too bad actually. not real tech savvy. where do you get those things? i usually have my DS on me more than my PSP

the cheapest way to go is to get the card i am using. It's called Datel Games n' Music and is sold at some retail stores (Target, Walmart) for about $25 to $30. I got mine for$20 off ebay. This is the only homebrew card sold at retail stores because it does not play illegal nds roms. It comes with 128mb memory which is enough to store lots of geocaches. It can do lots of other things too (homebrew games,apps, Im posting from a homebrew web browser) Hope this helps, post back if u have more questions!

games_music_large.jpg

Edited by 5bikerhiker5

After a few hours of converting files and playing around with some homebrew programs on the DS, I finally figured out a good way to store geocache info on the DS homebrew card. First you need to download the GSAK geocaching application on your PC. Found Here: (http://gsak.net/)

Now put your card into the DS and start up Bunjalloo DS. Once the home screen comes up click the green down arrow on the bottom of the screen and type file://Cache/_1index.html

It will come up to the navigation screen and will have all of your caches sorted by name and cache number. just follow the links like a web page, but this is not online, it is local viewing. If you have a DS homebrew card and a DS and need any more help feel free to PM me. Thanks, I hope this is a good solution to paperless geocaching!

100_3950-1.jpg

100_3951.jpg

100_3953.jpg

100_3954.jpg

This is a neat solution for the DS, but nothing, and I mean nothing beats a Palm PDA with CacheMate. Not only is it completely designed for paperless caching, but it is cheap. You spent $20 on a new flash card. You could have bought a Palm PDA for $10-20 and then CacheMate for $8. Your Total could have been $18 or $28. So, it is possible that you saved $8 bucks by doing this, but for the hassle it took to get this done on your DS, it would have been more efficient to just buy a darned Palm. It is way easier to upload caches to your palm then the process you have desribed, I'm sorry, but if you're going to go paperless, just buy a Palm and CacheMate and get it over with.

Edited by Arndtwe

thanks for providing a pic of the flashcard, bikerhiker. now i know what im looking for. though i still say my PSP is better, i can only have three pages at a time, cross that with the battery, low memory on the duo stick, you never know what will happen

PSP USERS TRY THIS!Actually, There may be a way to view these pages using the PSP's built in web browser also. I do not have a PSP so I cannot try this, but it may work.

Just follow these first steps:

First you need to download the GSAK geocaching application on your PC. Found Here: (http://gsak.net/)

Next export the folder to a place where you can find it (it is called caches by default. Then copy the entire file onto your Memory Card (by putting the memory card in the computer) onto the Common Folder of your memory card.

Then turn on your PSP, Go to your web browser and type:

file://Cache/_1index.html

If anyone has a PSP and can try this please do so and post back here.

If you don't have GPX files readily available you can use the Sampel GPX file that is included in the GSAK download just to see if it works.

If this works on the PSP you can view as many pages as you like without being connected, but you will have to be a premium member of Geocaching to generate .gpx files.

Edited by 5bikerhiker5

I have been using GSAK to make the HTML files, but it is not free. You get nag screens so you must purchase it. It is easier to download GPX spinner. Just drag the pocket query onto the desktop icon, and the html files will be generated. Then drag the "cache" file onto your sd card, and type in file://cache/index.htm on the bunjalloo browser.

Yeah, I'd like to see if someone could try it on the PSP's browser also. I advise using GPX spinner (http://www.gpxspinner.com/download/) to turn your files into .html. Let me know if it works. It should be able to display pages better than the DS too, it should even have the pictures and maps if you turn them on in the GSAK or GPX spinner program.

Edited by 5bikerhiker5

yeah, I'd like to see if this works for someone else. Try it out, if you have any problems post back here. Remember use GPX Spinner instead of GSAK, it's easier. Just download GPX Spinner, drag your zipped .gpx file onto the icon on the desktop, then drag the cache file onto your card. You can delete the other files that are made on the desktop.

Ok I couldn't get this working in time to try out last weekend but the problem was because I installed Bunjalloo into a sub directory and the data directory structure was all wrong. I re-installed in the root of the card with the file structure resembling the layout on the Bunjalloo site and it is now working and looks both useful and usable (used GSAK to produce the pages because I already knew how to do that bit).

Bunjalloo could be a bit more user friendly if the toolbar area didn't have text behind it on long pages and there was a file explorer (my pages ended up in caches\cache\ while I was trying to load from my caches directory - realised my mistake when I plugged the memory card back into my PC). It was at this point that I realised I could use moonshell to navigate the folders and view simple text files and images (another possible option for anyone who can't get Bunjalloo to work).

Even so it's nice to see another browser on the DS, especially one that doesn't require a memory card in the front slot of the device to run. I will try to field test this one at the weekend. I suspect it's main weakness will be that unlike cachemate there is no way to log a find on the device (unless the cache is sitting in a wi-fi hotspot).

Ok I couldn't get this working in time to try out last weekend but the problem was because I installed Bunjalloo into a sub directory and the data directory structure was all wrong. I re-installed in the root of the card with the file structure resembling the layout on the Bunjalloo site and it is now working and looks both useful and usable (used GSAK to produce the pages because I already knew how to do that bit).

Bunjalloo could be a bit more user friendly if the toolbar area didn't have text behind it on long pages and there was a file explorer (my pages ended up in caches\cache\ while I was trying to load from my caches directory - realised my mistake when I plugged the memory card back into my PC). It was at this point that I realised I could use moonshell to navigate the folders and view simple text files and images (another possible option for anyone who can't get Bunjalloo to work).

Even so it's nice to see another browser on the DS, especially one that doesn't require a memory card in the front slot of the device to run. I will try to field test this one at the weekend. I suspect it's main weakness will be that unlike cachemate there is no way to log a find on the device (unless the cache is sitting in a wi-fi hotspot).

So you did get it to work then? You can get the toolbar to minimize by clicking the little white arrow on the left, and get it to go on the top or sides by pushing select. Also, when you copy the data file just put it right on the root of the card not in any folder, and put the bunjalloo file anywhere. Then copy your cache file right to the root also so it's easy to type the address in the browser. It will be like File://cache/index.html or whatever the first index file is called.

Remember to bookmark the index page so you can find it without having to type in the address. Click the little book, then the book with the plus

Also, the person behind the bunjalloo program is constantly updating the program, so remember to update every once in a while. He just added sleep support so the DS will go into battery saver mode when the screen is closed. Also, he is trying to add picture support so the page will display with the images right on the page instead of clicking the green links.

One more thing, dont put more than 500 (or 1000 at the most) caches on one index file. It will take too long to load.

As for logging, no thats not possible. But you could install a note program on the ds (Such as DS Organize) which allows for the creation of text files on the go. It wouldn't be part of bunjalloo but would still allow you to type your log, then when you get home plug your memory card in and copy and paste.

Thanks, if you have any more questions post back here.