Viewing maps offline with GSAK

theduffster

I have tried and tried to configure GSAK so that when I'm offline, for example, oh...in the woods or in a park, and don't have access to the internet, I can still get at least a general idea of where the cache is. I've cached with the laptop, and as my husband drives, I like to get a general idea of what area the cache is located.

My GPS does not have maps-it was a gift from my daughters, and I do not intend to replace it. (It's a Garmin 72). Once I know I'm in the area, I can then switch to using my GPS.

Isn't there some way to force GSAK to store the maps that show with the caches so I can see them offline? When I'm offline, the box that has the Google map of the cache turns to a "page cannot be found" display.

I tried registering at the GSAK forum, but can't get in. :)

Motorcycle Mama is correct. I have the same problem. I cant afford to buy the Garmin maps but my work supplies me with a blackberry with unlimited data, so I use that to go online while out and about. The only thing I could ever think of to do was to copy the google map prior to heading out.

I came up with a solution...and it's so simple I felt stupid when I thought of it.

The humble "printscreen" key. I got my map just right, with the caches nicely numbered and everything, and hit the printscreen key. Pasted it to Paint, gave it a good name and saved it. Now I can see the map offline.

I have tried and tried to configure GSAK so that when I'm offline, for example, oh...in the woods or in a park, and don't have access to the internet, I can still get at least a general idea of where the cache is. I've cached with the laptop, and as my husband drives, I like to get a general idea of what area the cache is located.

My GPS does not have maps-it was a gift from my daughters, and I do not intend to replace it. (It's a Garmin 72). Once I know I'm in the area, I can then switch to using my GPS.

Isn't there some way to force GSAK to store the maps that show with the caches so I can see them offline? When I'm offline, the box that has the Google map of the cache turns to a "page cannot be found" display.

I tried registering at the GSAK forum, but can't get in. :D

theduffster, you can get the maps that show in the GSAK split screen transferred to your laptop, if that's good enough. Choose Export from the File menu and select the HTML option. Change the default so it exports the map as well.

Note where the files are being saved and open index.html. If you're a Premium Member, the cache pages will include hints and descriptions and logs in addition to basic information. It pretty much looks like the original web page.

theduffster, you can get the maps that show in the GSAK split screen transferred to your laptop, if that's good enough. Choose Export from the File menu and select the HTML option. Change the default so it exports the map as well.

Note where the files are being saved and open index.html. If you're a Premium Member, the cache pages will include hints and descriptions and logs in addition to basic information. It pretty much looks like the original web page.

I'd like to try that, except almost all the options on the "export to html" box are grayed-out for me. I haven't registered GSAK yet, are these options disabled until I do register?

Edited to add, never mind. Figured it out. (You have to uncheck the "use defaults" box.) I'm all excited to cache with this feature now!

Edited by theduffster

I'd like to try that, except almost all the options on the "export to html" box are grayed-out for me. I haven't registered GSAK yet, are these options disabled until I do register?

That's odd, I don't have a registered copy either. I imported my caches from a Pocket Query, and all my options on the menus are bold. How did you get your caches into GSAK?

I'm not going to be much help trouble shooting this since I've only been using the program since last week. Hope someone else can help.

Well, I tried exporting to html, made sure to choose the "include Google maps" option, but it still doesn't save the map. When I go offline and try to open one of the cache pages, the map will not display.

Back to the printscreen key!

You're right, my mistake. When you go offline, it doesn't load the map. Print Screen it is!