Gallery of Hand Made Geocoins, Sig coins and tokens.

I've recieved quite a few wooden tokens recently and wanted to start a thread where folks discuss the cool ones they have seen/have -- pictures would be cool too!

I'll start: Today I recieved the Fox & the Hound token! One as a keeper and one to go into a cache. They are very, very nice and I would hightly recommend this method of token creation to those not wishing to mint a coin.

LFD - I'd be interested to see a picture. I seem to remember a thread discussing the Fox & Hound, but the design wasn't a wooden token. It was more of a color print encased in a clear plastic coin holder - and it looked really good.

Curious if this is the same one and to see how the wooden version turned out.

One of my favorites is The Frantic Cachers token. I found it in a cache while in New Jersey last year. It is one of those ultra-crude tokens that someone put a ton of time into making. I did contact the maker who indicated that there were only a handful made from baked clay then painted.

Another one of my favorites is the series done by 1queenand4jokers. The example that sticks out in my mind is the Manitoba token.

Yes, I really enjoy the coins, but the tokens and wooden nickels are even more fun. You can actually find one in a cache every now and again.

We bought wooden nickels back before we knew anybody that had thier own Personal Coin. They are certainly are cost friendly. We got 1000 for under $150 shipped. we used WWW.WOODEN-NICKELS.COM

We recently added them to the WWW.COINTRACKING.COM website so people can trade with us or buy them. We put them out there for $1.50 shippped... by the time we cover all our costs for shipping 1 token we pockect like $.20 so we are not doing it for the money but rather just to spread our sig items around to those who may want one.

sgwood1.jpg

Wonder if GC.com will ever allow trackable wooden nickels or plastic tokens :laughing:

We have a GBOTS Utah wooden nickel that was a bonus on some coins we bought.

Just to be clear, none of our GBOTS coins were sold. And not that there is anything wrong with selling coins.

Our token may have come from another cacher since I usually send a couple out with the trades I do.

All of our coins have been, and will be, trade only

Edited by GBOTS
I've recieved quite a few wooden tokens recently and wanted to start a thread where folks discuss the cool ones they have seen/have -- pictures would be cool too!

I'll start: Today I recieved the Fox & the Hound token! One as a keeper and one to go into a cache. They are very, very nice and I would hightly recommend this method of token creation to those not wishing to mint a coin.

:laughing: I want a wooden geobone. ;)

We have a GBOTS Utah wooden nickel that was a bonus on some coins we bought.

Just to be clear, none of our GBOTS coins were sold. And not that there is anything wrong with selling coins.

Our token may have come from another cacher since I usually send a couple out with the trades I do.

All of our coins have been, and will be, trade only

We did not buy the GBOTS WN we bought some other coins and the nice cacher threw it in as a bonus. :laughing: I like it.

I like your coin GG, can you tell me who made them?

Thanks Brae

They are made by a guy that I work with. He has a side business of making scrapbooking cutouts with a laser. His laser is also capable of cutting and etching wood (obviously). If your interested send me an email and I can put you in touch with him. Just and FYI, they run about $1.25 each, not cheap, but cheaper than the real coins. Like I said, they look much better in person. I put one in an air tight coin holder and it looks sweet.

Thankyou so much for the nice comments about our Pirate Tokens!! ;) At this point Mrs. Pirate is finished finding designs, printing, cutting out and pasting the decals on our 2006 series of tokens - so what better way to spend her time then sitting here on the geocoin forums. It's kinda funny as she had just come upstairs after referring to Mr. Pirate as "the guy who lives in the basement" (No he doesn't live in the basement it just seems that way at this time of the year when he is busy sanding and putting varathane on the tokens) when she clicked on this thread and read those nice things. We will have to try and post a picture of the new tokens. It will be easy if Mrs. Pirate can remember where she read how to post a picture. :laughing: For those of you that are familiar with our tokens.......we changed the design on the back this year!!!!

Edited by kootenay pirates

This is great! I love all the coins and links. There's something really "grass-roots" about the wooden tokens. I even had a few made for me as part of a trade for one of my metal coins. I'm actually thinking of concentrating a little more on the wooden ones -- why? Most people send me an extra which I can then place in a cache!

In fact, there are several folks here that have their woodens being "represented!" in my "Lemon Fresh Dog's Coin Cache" -- people really seem to resond to them well.

Thanx ;) The Metal Gear kinda put the Wood on hold for a while, but I bought a whole bunch of blanks, so S4 will happen eventually.

I am a big fan of your etched tokens too. You might as well make the 4th while waiting for your coins to arrive. That anticipation of waiting is worse than christmas morning!

Here is another really cool one.  They are made from a penny but have distinct designs on both sides.  Very impressive.  Has anyone else seen these?

bluegillfisherman_trade_moops_300x300_Front100.jpg

not only have I seen one but I have one in my collection. I traded it with the owner for one of my wooden nickels, then later traded one of my mom keychains for their poker chip too. very nice group of people and it was their son that did the trading . . . . with me at least. I met The Moops at a christmas event we had here in december.

Edited by Dreamin'Eagle

In my area, BomberJohn has a really nice looking one. It has faded scales in the background of the front and the rim if the coin is burnt in a dark umber. Really cool!

But my favorite is gpscouts...they hand burn their own coins. The put a letter on each coin. Lower case for regulars, upper case if you let them log a coin of yours. They look really cool!

Another of my favorite is JohnnyQuesters. It is about the size of a coaster. On one side is a cool caching logo. On the front it has a picture of a hiker in a cool drawing that looks like something out of the Hardy Boys.

These are our sig chips.

$4 dollar box of plastic poker chips from Wal-mart and the decals were made at the sign shop where I work on our large format digital printer & cutter. They are printed on performance grade vinyl with UV resistant inks (The same stuff used on those graphics that you see on cars & trucks!!)

grid_sig.gif

These are our sig chips.

$4 dollar box of plastic poker chips from Wal-mart and the decals were made at the sign shop where I work on our large format digital printer & cutter. They are printed on performance grade vinyl with UV resistant inks (The same stuff used on those graphics that you see on cars & trucks!!)

I have one of yours and have always wondered what you printed it on. Do you know of any place that us non-graphics business types can buy this type of media for use in our personal printers? That is too cool!

These are our sig chips.

I have one of yours and have always wondered what you printed it on. Do you know of any place that us non-graphics business types can buy this type of media for use in our personal printers? That is too cool!

you can buy sticker meda from micheals i believe but i have never used it so i dont know what kind of printer you would need or if the colors would run. you can call a graphics shop that does stickers and ask them for a quote. it shouldnt be to expensive depending on how may you have made.

These are our sig chips.

Check with your local sign shops that also do digital printing.

Small orders will usually incure a minimum shop fee if what your wanted printed falls under a certain $$. (Our minimum is $25).

If you let them do the artwork also you may be charged an art fee.(Some do, Some don't)

If you want to do the art yourself save it as a .tif or .jpg with a 300dpi resolution.

Most shops should be able to just import them and print them as is. The only other thing they will need to do is create a cut line around your art for the plotter to know where to cut the excess vinyl away.

HINT: Keep your design in a common shape (circle, oval, square, rectangle) to make creating the cut line easier. If you have a complex outline you will probably be charged more. (We do!)

You may even check with Kinkos and some of the business centers in places like Staples & Office Depot. Some of them are getting into the market of making smaller digitally printed signs. Whether they have the print/cut capabilities I dunno. But worse come to worse you can always have them gang printed (multiple images on one sheet) and cut them out by hand with scissors.

D-man :mad:

for use in our personal printers?

Ooops! Missed that part!

The types of inks used to print on vinyl are Solvent Inks and as far as I know isn't sold for common desktop printers.

The trick to these isn't the media it's printed on, it's the inks.

They are special sovent inks.

What that means is that they have chemicals in them that soften the substrate (print media) and when it dries, it creates a strong bond between the pigment in the ink and the, in this case, vinyl.

D-man :mad:

I've picked up some tokens and signatutre items, mostly in caches but some have been sent to me as well. Here's a pic of a few of them.

I see mine in there :huh:

In process of making a bunch more, need to make another run to michael's to get more of the plastic for the printer.

Does anyone know of good sealant product that I could dip these into? without sealant the colors will smudge with handling. I have sealed them with fingernail 'clearcoat' products so far. that is time consuming and smelly!

Does anyone know of good sealant product that I could dip these into? without sealant the colors will smudge with handling. I have sealed them with fingernail 'clearcoat' products so far. that is time consuming and smelly!

If you want to seal the whole thing you could try the same spray clear matt sealer I used on my painted miniature figures by Rustoleum or Krylon. Just make sure to spray thin coats. You can find it in craft stores like Michaels or home centers like Home Depot in the section wth the spray paint.

Note, I've never tried it on coins/tokens so you'd want to test it first.