European Union - evolution the last couple of years per member state

HDV

An update to

my post one year ago: distribution of active geocaches per member state of the European Union, considering area and population (table 2) and evolution in the number of active geocaches (table 1) over the past couple of years (actually ~50 weeks + ~50 weeks).

eu_geocaching_stats_july_2008_02.PNG

* Joined the EU in 2007; I had no figures for 2006 hence no possible comparison.

eu_geocaching_stats_july_2008_03.PNG

eu_geocaching_stats_july_2008_01.PNG

Note1: km2/cache = average available area in km2 per cache

Note2: Cache/mill. Inh. = active geocaches per million inhabitants.

Note3: Figures for population and area taken from Wikipedia. Simplistically assuming no variation between 2007 and 2008.

Note4: Number of caches retrieved the 19 of June 2008 (aprox. 22:00 GMT).

Edited by HDV

In Romania, when I joined (August 24, 2006), there were 44 geocaches published on geocaching.com. The newest one was published on August 13, and probably no caches were archived between August 14-24, so 44 can be considered a correct number to be included in the comparison. This gives a 88.6% growth rate 2006-07.

To Hungarian and Polish colleagues - as your caches are mostly not listed at gc.com, it is natural that they are not shown in these stats - it is your national game, not international one - not open for everybody (opencaching ...)

can you explaine why it isn't international?

But in many countries the caches description on geocaching.com are also only in these countries languages (for example: Germany, Czech Republic). It's mean that gc.com is also NOT international.

It is not (only) the problem of the cache descriptions but the fact that only a small fraction of caches hidden

in Hungary are published on gc.com, the vast majority is published exclusively on gc.hu. There are even

caches in Austria and probably in other countries too, which are published on gc.hu solely and not on any

other (international) platform. Finding a traditional with an hungarian decription should not be the problem as

long as you are able to get the basic information that there is one ...

But opencaching in Germany, Poland and Chech Republic are also English interface (I guess that "international platform" means that). Geocaching is one game independence to platform. So if this stats say that in Poland are 700 caches - it's no true and aren't stats of geocaching but of Groundspeak caches.

But opencaching in Germany, Poland and Chech Republic are also English interface (I guess that "international platform" means that). Geocaching is one game independence to platform. So if this stats say that in Poland are 700 caches - it's no true and aren't stats of geocaching but of Groundspeak caches.

But you are on a Groundspeak forum, so what other statistics would you expect to see? The caches from other games are not relevant here...

I expect precision.

the title of these stats are:

distribution of active geocaches per member state of the European Union

and it's not true because for example in Poland there is more than 4 000 geocaches

and I repeat: opencaching isn't "other game" - this the same game - geocaching. And the proof can be fact that many caches are listed on both platforms.

Edited by nemrodek
To Hungarian and Polish colleagues - as your caches are mostly not listed at gc.com, it is natural that they are not shown in these stats - it is your national game, not international one - not open for everybody (opencaching ...)

can you explaine why it isn't international?

Different is, that in a Hungarian cache you can find a password, an with this you can log the finding. There are some caches, wich are published here, but not on the Hungarian site, and the mods there aren't really tolerant in this case. :blink:

I expect precision.

the title of these stats are:

distribution of active geocaches per member state of the European Union

and it's not true because for example in Poland there is more than 4 000 geocaches

The title of Polish geocaching forum is "Geocaching in Poland" (translated), but there is only link to local opencaching page, no links to geocaching.com (where is more than 800 caches placed in Poland now). It is local database as in many other countries. Only Polish people register caches on opencaching.pl, Hungarian register on geocaching.hu, German on opencaching.de, Rusian on geocaching.ru etc, is only one database (geocaching.com) what is real international, that's the fact. Is not like Windows and Linux, because Linux is international, local databases are not compatible because there are different rules.

and I repeat: opencaching isn't "other game" - this the same game - geocaching. And the proof can be fact that many caches are listed on both platforms.

No, it isn't now. As you know on Polish database are registered many caches what only you need is find password in Google and left log on page. Polish opencaching include geocaching but is not the same game.

is only one database (geocaching.com) what is real international, that's the fact.

I'll second toczygroszek here. I don't get the idea of starting the alternative platform rather than slowly moving local caches to Groundspeak hosted international database. Why complicate things? Open your caches to all and make the game grow and more fun. Or do you treat the blind mole is better ugly frog?

I also take this opportunity to publicly thank toczygroszek for his marvelous hides around Dublin.

Edited by ly2kw

I think one of the reasons for some countries to go "independent" from gc.com is the language issue. Moreover the platform in gc.com doesn't allow the use of not-latin characters, example cyrillic. If this is solved it makes sense to have one international database where cache descrition should be kept in both English and the local language.

I think one of the reasons for some countries to go "independent" from gc.com is the language issue. Moreover the platform in gc.com doesn't allow the use of not-latin characters, example cyrillic. If this is solved it makes sense to have one international database where cache descrition should be kept in both English and the local language.

That's right! I am not sure what coders use for the site, but for php-coders there is always a problem with utf8_encode/utf8_decode function as it doesn't work correctly with cyrillic. I am as Russian unable to place a discription of a cache in English and plus in Russian. All I got after placing cyrillic symbols are ????????. If it'll be solved it'll be a great opportunity for Russian geocachers to place cache infos on gc.com. I am sure it's possible to make it as forum works great with cyrillics symbols.

P.S. Testing: проверка See? It work's here.

Edited by CheRny