Caching Backpack

Sford13

Well I went with a friend this past weekend and I found my first cache. On Monday I ordered a Garman Venture HC from Cabelas which should be arriving tomorrow. But looking at all the different post and stuff I am wanting to set up a backpack that would be just for geocaching. Something that would have items that I would find beneficial in most caching situations. I am looking for suggestions as to what to include. For beginners I figure several pens and pencils and a notebook for notes. Also since most all of my cahcing will be in Illinois I would include a detailed Illinois atlas. Sunscreen and bug spray and a small flash light is what I have come up with so far. I want to try and keep this as simple and practical yet carry everything I that would come in handy. So what do all you carry with you?

Its all a matter of the kinds of caches you will be hunting. If you're just doing suburban and urban park n grabs, you probably don't need a pack at all. If you are hunting caches in small county and town parks, perhaps all you need is a fanny pack with a little water, insect repellent, camera and swag.

If you prefer caches that are longer hikes, then you should take anything you would on a long hike, meaning you should be prepared to spend the night in case you break a leg or get lost.

Here is my geocaching/hiking pack emptied out.

26f969a4-ed83-480a-810a-da08d1fccffd.jpg

the caches that i usually do we can drive right up and be within three hundred feet of it. so if thats what you do i wouldnt bring all that stuff. I usually just take bug repellant,first aid kit,one or two pens,maybe some paper if the cache ran out of log space(or to remember which caches you found). And deffinatley extra batteries. And some toilet paper. :D

I have what you do minus the poles and plus a first aid kit, paper towels, about 20 folded and in a ziplock bag, a towel in a ziplock bag, and about 1/3 roll of toilet paper flattened in a ziplock bag, two family/business band radios. The radios come in handy at CITO and Meet n greet events, I have Cacheberry on the blackberry but the wife does not usually bring her cell phone.