My Geo-Bike

cliptwings

http://i329.photobucket.com/albums/l391/cl...s/motorbike.jpg

Click the link above to see my new transportation to geocaches. As far as I am concerned, it is perfect for geocaching!

I bought a 49cc 2-stroke engine kit from a local distributor ($140), and installed it on my wife's 20 year old mountain bike. Now I can go further than my legs can take me on the bike, but only spend pennies on gas, and get to places I can't take my pickup. Here in Arizona, as in most states, I don't need a license or registration to drive it on the roads, as long as I keep it at 20mph or below. Although it will do 30-35mph, I don't think I want to go that fast on a bike!

No, I don't sell these things. I am having so much fun puttering around from cache to cache on "Sparky," I thought I would share my discovery with my fellow cachers. If you want more info, you may contact me, or go to a forum on the subject at http://motorbicycling.com.

That is a very cool bike.

I would add you would have to check with local authorities to where it fits into the legal scheme of things.

But very nice and with gas prices high and climbing this would be very nice. I will have to look into this. I have a mountain bike that it would like nice on as well.

Thanks

kf4oox - Paul

Cliptwings isn't the only motorized bike owner here..

Loreley.jpg

Meet Loreley, a Murray Sabre I converted back late June.

Same basics, 2-cycle, needn't be registered, or insured, (though it might not be a bad idea, incase someone trashes it on me!)

I've taken her on a few cache hunts within 10-20 miles.. She's still a baby (still within the break-in period) and already with a few minor problems. (which reminds me, I need to see if anyone else has had the same problem I'm hitting right now?)

They're fun, but still require a great deal of respect, for the machine, and the other loons on the road.

The manual clutch, takes some getting used to.. The %$%#%#& drivers who make you reach for both clutch & brakes at the same time as they pull out in your path as if you weren't there, are a total other!

To answer Clan Riffster's question, yes, there is a little drag caused by the engine chain but very little.. since the engine is disengaged by the clutch, there is some drag caused by the rear wheel driving the gear connected to the clutch plate. But very negligible.

Answering nonsuch30's question, Not likely burning on the engine itself, though not impossible.. Most of the time, you ride a bike a little bow-legged in the 1st place. As for the exhaust, On the down stroke on the left pedal, it comes close, but the muffler is fairly well centered to the frame. Remember, both pedals need to clear the body of the motor.

They do make a 4-cycle, but cost-wise, it's fairly expensive. And more recent EPA regulations are clamping down on 2-cycle engine emissions.. But, the moped laws still apply.. Some, skirt it a little.

Stephen (gelfling6)

Edited by gelfling6

I built my Schwinn "chopper" type bike (can't recall the name of the bike but it's a higher priced bike than those sold at wally world) into a motorized chopper a few years back! It would get over 160 mpg and no need to mix, just pull up to the pump and fill er up!

I rode that bike over 2000 mile the first year and had soooo many orders for this thing, I just couldn't believe it! Soon after, my friend decided this thing was dangerous (I'd ride it right down the side of many a major roadway and through bigger cities and such) and begged me to get a motorcycle...he even bought it for me (worried I'd end up dead I suppose). I rode that thing to work and back every day (40 mile round trip) with little problem save the clutch (weak link of the system).

I once stopped a sherrif and asked as to need to license etc...he told me that no cop would bother with me, most would likely encourage the saving of gas! I even had a state boy come up to us (we had 2 made actually and would ride everywhere) when both bikes broke down almost at the same location (mine had a bad clutch, he broke his sprocket connection). This guy not only liked them, he gave us his card asking us to "get in touch when we perfect them"!

I blew my motor (over-tightened the chain and it destroyed the little Honda motor) in the second year and went to get another...they discontinued them! We even had special mounting plates and such made for this bike...now it's just sitting there! Looking for a motor which would work out...yours looks great!

Where did you get it?

Side note, I bought a second motorcycle and gave my friend Tod mine so I had a riding partner...Tod was killed when a truck pulled into his lane forcing him to take evasive actions. The bike "high-sided" and Tod died when his head hit the road...this was just over a month ago! Shoulda stuck with the darned motorized bike! Tod was a lifelong rider, so it wasn't like he was "green".

PLEASE be safe out there! PLEASE watch for bikes (motorized or not)!