Geocaching on the iPhone - Submitted to Apple

Jeremy

I'm relieved to announce that we have submitted our first geocaching application for the iPhone to Apple yesterday. Depending on how quickly they get to reviewing the application we should see it in the Apple Store within 2 weeks. The cost of the application is $9.99 and has the functionality you need to look up and seek out caches using the networking and location-based features of the iPhone 3G. It also works with the iPod Touch and first gen iPhone though you will need WiFi for the Touch and the compass won't work on the first generation iPhone (naturally).

The first release will not have the feature to log caches or filter hides and finds, but it will be included as a free upgrade as we add that functionality - hopefully over the next month. We wanted to get the application out as soon as possible since the demand was so high for it.

Some non-obvious features:

• You can look up travel bugs and find out their goal while out on the trail
  • Saved Items allows you to save a cache listing and navigate to it, even when you are out of network range
  • The application starts in beginner mode which only shows traditional caches. Advanced shows all types
  • To help with speed issues on, say, the Edge network, you can restrict the number of results to 5, 10, 15 or 20

We'll be translating the application into multiple languages as well to support our international community.

Here are some screenshots of the application.

2889513707_b7eb263506.jpg2890348930_c979c6b73c.jpg2890348888_45c50ff5dc.jpg2889513559_7e9602681e.jpg2890348838_45d5fd2738.jpg

Edit - forgot to add the compass screen

Edited by Jeremy

Any chance we'll get something similar for non-iphone users? Is it $9.99 once or monthly?

It's a one time $9.99 purchase. I don't know what you mean about non-iPhone users but we are working on an overall mobile strategy. It's just hard to get on *every* mobile device so we have to pick our battles with the SDK, the carriers, etc.

There is no GPX support because it uses the network to download cache listings on the fly, based on your location. You can't save an entire search results page of geocaches but it is pretty straightforward to click on the save link for each one to retrieve it later. Due to network limitations it would be difficult to download 20 caches in bulk anyway - unless you are on a WiFi connection.

It's a one time $9.99 purchase. I don't know what you mean about non-iPhone users but we are working on an overall mobile strategy. It's just hard to get on *every* mobile device so we have to pick our battles with the SDK, the carriers, etc.

Well I would sure pony up $10 for a similar app on Windows Mobile (same goes for a Waymarking application). You can get the same 'touch' experience on those devices too. Windows Mobile 6/6.1 also support a GPSID "emulated" GPS device so the programming is a lot simpler nowadays.

Why does it have to be a webapp?? Why can't it be "mobile" website--like google has a regular and mobile website as does continental airlines? I use my iphone for caching once in a while, just to pull up the page when I can't find the cache (I try to cache as paperless as possible). I find it to be painfully slow (first gen). I haven't gotten into webapps too much because I am first gen user and I'm just not really into playing games on my phone or anything else. I assume you would use the phone as the gps unit? If so, how would it compare to a real GPSr?

I'm sure it would be pretty slick for urban caches!! I would rather see the effort go into a mobile website. Either way, you will be hosed in remote locations. But, if I was to buy a webapp, your's could just be the lucky first one, but i'll probably keep my $10 (1/3 of next year's premium membership).

Any chance we'll get something similar for non-iphone users? Is it $9.99 once or monthly?

There is no GPX support because it uses the network to download cache listings on the fly, based on your location. You can't save an entire search results page of geocaches but it is pretty straightforward to click on the save link for each one to retrieve it later. Due to network limitations it would be difficult to download 20 caches in bulk anyway - unless you are on a WiFi connection.

Thank you for the clarification on the price. I meant non-iPhone, as in NokiaN series mobiles, blackberry, Palm Treo or any of the other net-accessible smart-phone products out there using pc-based tech. I understand there are some variations to their looks, but I'm betting they're all very similar platforms seeing as how other popular apps are being made to work for various brands. Just curious if there is a goal bigger than just Apple.

Why does it have to be a webapp?? Why can't it be "mobile" website--like google has a regular and mobile website as does continental airlines? I use my iphone for caching once in a while, just to pull up the page when I can't find the cache (I try to cache as paperless as possible). I find it to be painfully slow (first gen). I haven't gotten into webapps too much because I am first gen user and I'm just not really into playing games on my phone or anything else. I assume you would use the phone as the gps unit? If so, how would it compare to a real GPSr?

I'm sure it would be pretty slick for urban caches!! I would rather see the effort go into a mobile website. Either way, you will be hosed in remote locations. But, if I was to buy a webapp, your's could just be the lucky first one, but i'll probably keep my $10 (1/3 of next year's premium membership).

Geocaching has this mobile site: http://wap.geocaching.com/

Why does it have to be a webapp?? Why can't it be "mobile" website--like google has a regular and mobile website as does continental airlines?

And of course, one of the great things about iPhones is that they can use real websites; they don't force you to deal with crippled mobile sites. I think most iPhone users would rather have a full application than to make a connection to a text-only mobile site.

Thanks, Groundspeak, for coming up with an approved app for iPhone/iPod Touch users!

Patty

Why can't it be "mobile" website--like google has a regular and mobile website as does continental airlines? I use my iphone for caching once in a while, just to pull up the page when I can't find the cache (I try to cache as paperless as possible). I find it to be painfully slow (first gen).

As others have pointed out, there has been a mobile site for years. You can read more about it here:

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=79671

I assume you would use the phone as the gps unit? If so, how would it compare to a real GPSr?

On Gen 1 iPhones there is no GPS, so any GPS functionality would be in the Gen 2 iPhone.

Edited by Quiggle

Well I would sure pony up $10 for a similar app on Windows Mobile (same goes for a Waymarking application). You can get the same 'touch' experience on those devices too. Windows Mobile 6/6.1 also support a GPSID "emulated" GPS device so the programming is a lot simpler nowadays.

I have read that Windows Mobile 7 will have a marketplace for applications like the iTunes store (as does the Android platform). What has been hard in the past for little guys is to get on the carrier's "deck." Getting on Verizon is next to impossible.

Geocache Navigator by Trimble has been on a variety of mobile devices for some time. They either have a monthly fee or they are free to download (like on the N95). Monthly rates and ad supported applications are two approaches while the iPhone is a "buy once" price structure.

It looks great. I've been using my blackberry for months now for caching and think its the best. I do see the benifits of the iphone and think this will be my next move. I going to wait thou until the gps is available. The best part of using the blackberry is no matter where you are you can search with the gps the surounding area for caches. Very convenient while you travel. I assume this will do the same eventually?

Edited by Chilln'

It looks great. I've been using my blackberry for months now for caching and think its the best. I do see the benifits of the iphone and think this will be my next move. I going to wait thou until the gps is available. The best part of using the blackberry is no matter where you are you can search with the gps the surounding area for caches. Very convenient while you travel. I assume this will do the same eventually?

The iPhone 3G not only has GPS but it uses WiFi positioning and/or cell tower location to get your relative position. The Geocaching application queries the database from your position and returns caches near you. It can also geocode addresses, use a location in your address book, or look up a cache by its GC code.

The system works on an iPod touch (with WiFi), or the original iPhone but neither of these devices have GPS (though you can still do a search from your location as long as it can figure out your WiFi location). I would say that the GPS on the iPhone is not nearly as good as a dedicated GPS device but it does get the job done. In urban environments I tend to use the Google Map to navigate to the cache instead of the arrow since there are a lot of map references that can help me find the cache.

Getting on Verizon is next to impossible

Yep, that's what I want. I've got a highline Verizon phone, touch screen, internal keyboard etc and I'd really like to grab the occasional cache from the phone. AT&T stinks in this area so the wonder phone isn't on my radar. Likely won't be either. I understand Trimble hasn't been real successful in getting on V's screens either. I'm pretty sure I'd spring for the app. Lord knows I've got enough other garbage on the phone.

hairball

Why does it have to be a webapp?? Why can't it be "mobile" website--like google has a regular and mobile website as does continental airlines?

And of course, one of the great things about iPhones is that they can use real websites; they don't force you to deal with crippled mobile sites. I think most iPhone users would rather have a full application than to make a connection to a text-only mobile site.

Thanks, Groundspeak, for coming up with an approved app for iPhone/iPod Touch users!

Patty

Awesome!! Sorry I'm a little slow with technology sometimes!! I'm glad I spoke up and made myself look like an idiot, at least I learned something this time. The real websites are cool, but it can take awhile with a 1 gen phone. It's nice to at least have the choice. Seems like the this will be really cool for any iphone owner and super cool for any 3g iphone owner. Just for clarification, 2nd gen gets the whole package, 1st gen get everything but the compass?? Right? Technically no real GPS, but has some positioning capabilities via cell towers. If this is correct, how accurate would it be?? Seemingly useless based on what I have seen with the maps.

:P

This is fantastic news!!! I have been using Geopher Lite which does the trick and lets me find all caches relative to my current location. None of this having to do pocket queries etc, I can just do a new search wherever I am anytime and get the most up to date live results. There are some drawbacks which i imagine Groundspeak will be able to address easily, like when you select a cache to go for, will it populate the coordinates automatically into the program so you do have to manually type them in??

I can hardly wait for this iPhone app I will buy it immediately!!

The screen shots look great.

Will your compass work unlike the geophoer lite compass??

And how does your app effect the iPhone Battery life? Geopher KILLS the batter fast.

I also think there are a lot of people out there that might be interested in geocaching that have an iPhone and would be interested in paying $9.99 to try it out rather than $100 for a gps unit.

Currently I use both, i use my iphone to look up caches listings in the filed then put them into my Garmin GPS and off I go,

Lastly, I dont see any coordinates on the compass screen shot.

That is one of the things I like most about the Geoper lite app, It shows the cache coordinates and your current coordinates all on the same screen, unlike my gps that only shows my current coordinates. I like being able to know bot at the same time so i dont just have to blindly follow an arrow.

This is super exciting news - I have been using Geopher lite too - it does what the iPhone does best - find things nearby. I love not dealing with lists and files - no downloading either. This new app should be even better - anyone want to buy my Colorado!

Sure, I'll start the bid at $10.

Jim

Just wondering... I'm a cheapskate..... Is there any chance of this app being available for free if you have a premium membership? Maybe provide a redemption code for Apple?

Just skip a days caching and you'll save $9.99 in gas. :P

Yeah come on I spend $10 on lunch at mcDonalds!

$9.99 is nothing for an awesome app like this. If you spent $ on an iPhone you can afford ten bucks

Geocaching for the iPhone is an application written in Objective C using Apple's iPhone SDK.

What did you think of Objective C, xcode, Interface Builder, etc.? After working in Java for the past few years and not looking at a line of C++ code, I found Objective C kind of hard to pick up. I'm slowing getting an understanding of the language. It's not the object model that I'm used to, that's for sure.

--Marky

:rolleyes: Thank you. The screenshots look great. I am just about to buy a Garmin but will also buy this app. I think they will work well together.

(The main problem with the iPhone is the battery life so I reckon I will still need a Garmen. After finding three caches today my iPhone had only 10% of life left.)

Yes that is what i do, now Im using Geophe Lite on the iPhone, then punch the loc into my garmin and off i go i use them both together, mainly like you said due to battery life. Plus the garmin is a bit more rugged lol. I am noticing Im goin through the doubles AA's at an alarming rate though hehehe

I can hardly wait for Groundspeak to get approval on this app, Im going o buy it immediately and tell all my iphones friends to do the same!

Geocaching for the iPhone is an application written in Objective C using Apple's iPhone SDK.

What did you think of Objective C, xcode, Interface Builder, etc.? After working in Java for the past few years and not looking at a line of C++ code, I found Objective C kind of hard to pick up. I'm slowing getting an understanding of the language. It's not the object model that I'm used to, that's for sure.

--Marky

Marky,

I have programmed in C/C++ for work for almost 10 years now and I think I understand what you mean. It took me about two days of full-time programming in obj-c to get the basics down, but after having coded Geopher Lite, I have to say that Objective-C is probably the most comfortable environment I've coded in in a long time. I've heard there are lots of comparisons with C# and Objective-C. Give it time, if you can wrap your head around it it will "click". But it does take some time.

Congrats Groundspeak, looking forward to this!

Great job, nice to see people with the ipaperweight can geocache too!

Its great to make it available to that many more pep. that wont go out and actually buy a gps unit. Or a real ppc.

:rolleyes:

GPS battery drain is a known issue for winmo- you might try shutting off gps or your program while walking or driving to next cache area. Im sure its the same w/ the iphone, the constant polling does take a toll on the battery.

Edited by BareFeat

This all looks quite good although its a shame it won't hold gpx downloads. One question though - When saving an item, will it display all images etc? Often the one thing i'm lacking when out with my old Palm is the images for puzzles/multi caches or spoilers.

Why would you need downloads? The iPhone is unlike a traditional handheld - what it does best is to show you what's nearby. I have been using GPSRs for years for hiking, kayaking and caching - I have always wished I could see what's nearby on the fly. It makes it much more spontaneous - You don't need files - it frees you from the download.

What did you think of Objective C, xcode, Interface Builder, etc.?

--Marky

I worked with Brian, an outside developer, on the application, so I can't take credit for the work. I did have to dabble with the code throughout the process and find that Objective C is definitely more on the C side than the object oriented language side.

There was a question about images. Attached images do not come through as an option though I could probably drop them in as we do upgrades. It will show whatever images are in the description, however, since it renders that data as a web page. If you are disconnected from the network, however, the images don't save locally.

I will be buying this as soon as it is posted on iTunes. This is awesome. Time to sell my Garmin on Ebay.

For those looking to download their lists to their iPhone, try iGeocacher, I currently have 2500 caches loaded and use it constantly seeing how there are many places where I live that I don't have a cell phone signal. Works like a champ.

This all looks quite good although its a shame it won't hold gpx downloads. One question though - When saving an item, will it display all images etc? Often the one thing i'm lacking when out with my old Palm is the images for puzzles/multi caches or spoilers.

Why would you need downloads? The iPhone is unlike a traditional handheld - what it does best is to show you what's nearby. I have been using GPSRs for years for hiking, kayaking and caching - I have always wished I could see what's nearby on the fly. It makes it much more spontaneous - You don't need files - it frees you from the download.

What about when you go to no bars country? Can you still see what is nearby on the fly?

Jim

What about when you go to no bars country? Can you still see what is nearby on the fly?

Jim

Of course not - but again - that's not how you use and iPhone to find anything - whether it's a Chinese restaurant or the cheapest gas in the area - It's built to work on the fly based on your location. I get service more places that I thought I would - but it's not a true replacement for your handheld GPS especially if your planning a trip - but for caching in a new area or while on a business trip - it's great. For me I always wish I had taken the time to plan to cache. Last week I had to kill a couple fo hours while my car was being serviced in a neighboring city - it was great to just get out and see what I could find in the area.

I'm looking forward to paying a mere $10 for this app. It would be cheep at twice the price.

I do not expect to give up my GPS. It is more rugged and I can replace the AA batteries. This app will be great when I find myself somewhere unexpectedly and want to grab some nearby caches. Right now, I go to the website using Safari and do what I must. This will make the whole process much easier.

I should note that I download PQs to my Palm and GPS. I use the GPS to tell me what's close and the Palm to tell me about the one I'm going to go after. I like this ability as I can filter the results.

It would be nice if I could filter the nearby caches ... but I suppose I can live without that feature.

One problem will be if I'm out in the wilderness, where I won't be able to get a connection. ... but I suppose that with some advance planning I can live without one.

Now, here is my big question and request: Can I get driving directions from where I am to where I need to go? I have recently had some unhappy experiences where the GPS says: "it is 0.3 miles that way," but I have to drive 5 miles because of the maze-like streets. I suppose I could go the the website itself and either get them or get the name of a nearby intersection and then pop that into Maps, but it would be real nice to be able to do that from within the app.

Thanks for the hard work.

I will be buying this as soon as it is posted on iTunes. This is awesome. Time to sell my Garmin on Ebay.

For those looking to download their lists to their iPhone, try iGeocacher, I currently have 2500 caches loaded and use it constantly seeing how there are many places where I live that I don't have a cell phone signal. Works like a champ.

I agree with wkendfun--folks should look at ALL the geocaching apps available in iTunes. The iGeoCacher

native app is well supported, and works in 'no bars' remote locations.

I don't have an iPhone yet, but I do have the iPod Touch. Looks like I'll be checking this out when it's available.

Thanks!

I'm with SpinningCompass. I debated for a while and ended up with iGeocacher for my Touch. If you use a Mac, you can set up easily for having GPX (or LOC for non-premium members) out in the field. You get full view GPX listings for the caches, they are available off line, but you won't get images without wifi or, on an iPhone, network "bars".

Jeremy, if you get some kind of off-line native GPX viewer added to the 2.0 version, this app will knock it out of the park. If I end up with an iphone, I would definitely go the Grounspeak app route! If you have an iPhone or Touch, both programs would work very well for paperless "no bars" use without buying a Palm or PocketPC.

It is REALLY awesome that y'all are working on smartphone programming! Paperless is becoming a more and more accessible option for cell users! Great move!

Nice. Great to see an 'official' app that is able to use the website.

The two biggest things I would like in an iPhone app are...

1. Multi/Puzzle aware - one that can be used for recording notes, adding waypoints and navigating to them whilst out in the field.

2. An ability to upload GPX files so that the device can still be used in out of range areas. You don't have to go far places in NZ to lose coverage. And not all of us actually have data plans either.

Cheers Gav

Edited by rediguana

Jim

Of course not - but again - that's not how you use and iPhone to find anything - whether it's a Chinese restaurant or the cheapest gas in the area - It's built to work on the fly based on your location. I get service more places that I thought I would - but it's not a true replacement for your handheld GPS especially if your planning a trip - but for caching in a new area or while on a business trip - it's great. For me I always wish I had taken the time to plan to cache. Last week I had to kill a couple fo hours while my car was being serviced in a neighboring city - it was great to just get out and see what I could find in the area.

I think this is the point some are missing. I don't think this app is meant to replace the hand held GPS, it's just another tool and a pretty good one.