Which handheld GPS to avoid for geocaching?

ZeMartelo

Hi,

I've read many posts here of people asking what handheld to get, or which one is better.

I would like to ask the other question:

What Handhed GPS should be avoided if the intention is to do paperless geocaching?

I already have a nuvi for on road navigation, and I am currently using it for paperless geocaching as well using GSAK.

Now I want something to complement it for the final leg of hunt which is the leg work to the location, so I am looking for a simple unit that is very accurate.

Theres a ton of GPS out there so I would like to weed out the bad ones upfront to make the choice easier.

So with this said, what models should I stay away from?

Cheers

As you have a Nuvi, you might as well stay with Garmin. Any of the etrex H models are as accurate as anything out there.

i was looking at the etrex venture hc model. would that be one of the ones you recommend? i got a magellan triton 400 and i'm just not sure of it. the accuracy seems off by ~40-60 feet and seems like it takes forever reading the direction you're going. the connection to pc seems to be a pretty big issue too. so i wouldn't go that way. i definitely want to see a compass pointing the direction i need to go at the end of the hunt. is the venture hc good for that?

Edited by bobbiejo=)

Hi,

What Handhed GPS should be avoided if the intention is to do paperless geocaching?

From my experience, the DeLorme PN-20 and PN-40 (handhelds, both) provide paperless geocaching.

Additionally, from reading herein, the other paperless handhelds are the Garmin Oregon and ......................?

The venture HC seems to be a pretty good option from what I've been reading.

I only need an handheld to take me from the car to the cache.

Is there a need for other maps other than what the unit comes with?

I am in Canada btw.

It comes with a basic basemap. I'd look into a TOPO set for Canada.

Edited by coggins

That is correct red90.

The nuvi is paperless (using GSAK and Macro).

Is there a similar macro to send Gsak data to the HC the same way as the Nuvi?

I understand this model Venture HC does not have a digital compass and it works like the Nuvi, need to be moving for it to know where I am facing.

Anyone knows what is the next model that has the digital compass?

It comes with a basic basemap. I'd look into a TOPO set for Canada.

No, sorry, Delorme has no detailed Canada maps.

Maybe I'm reading it wrong, but he is paperless with the Nuvi and just wants a simple handheld for the field.

I was replying to post #8 when CB Slim beat me to the pass. I was going to mention Garmin's TOPO Canada and the Ibycus set but I left that to others that might have used them.

I understand this model Venture HC does not have a digital compass and it works like the Nuvi, need to be moving for it to know where I am facing.

Anyone knows what is the next model that has the digital compass?

eTrex Summit® HC

Edited by coggins

It's even easier sending the waypoints to the HC. In GSAK, there should be a button set up for GPS, just click on that and click on Send Waypoints to GPS. I'm not sure how many waypoints you have set up in a database to send, but the Venture HC seems to only hold about 500.

Bruce

No, those type of models can not take a lot of data, some basic information and the hints is about all that works easily.

As to Tequila....there is very little difference between a Colorado and an Oregon other than the input method.

If you are wanting a gspr to get from the car to the cash, then a venture hc would be just fine IMO. but if you are wanting a "real" compass then you are going to have to step up to a 60csx or something of that nature. I know several people that have 100's of finds from the venture HC. so far I'm up to 7 on a plain jane etrex H. but I am only 14days into it.

But if you have a car navigational system, then Personally I wouldn't spend the 2-400 bucks for a top of the line gspr. Basically the more money you spend the more bells and whistles it comes with. like the 60, comes with the capability of loading maps that do exactly what your car gps does. In my opinion, why pay for that option when you got one in the car already.

Also, several people are successful without the electric compass. you just have to let your geocaching senses kick in.

I know that there is a price issue when going to the Garmin 60CSx but after doing a fair amount or research (from knowing nothing) and asking people on the forums, I went with the 60CSx and have looked back many times to evaluate my decision and have never once regretted it. I think that if I had gotten anything less, I would have always wished that I had put a little more into it, and since I could only afford to do it once it was worth the extra effort to come up with the $. I also just set up for paperless caching (willing to trim $ on this one) and have about $40 in a used Palm m125 and CacheMate registration and a 128mb SD card and have a set up for 10,000 plus caches and if it gets lost or damaged I can replace if for about $15 and keep caching. I'm all for economizing, being semiretired in a poor economy, but the GPSr is one area that I didn't think it was appropriate for doing that.

Many ways to go and a lot of routes to get there, but I chose the path most travelled... which I viewed to be the 60Csx.

Avoid the Colorado. Bad design. Too many problems. Go with the Oregon if you want paperless.

I ran into 2 teams of cachers today. one team had 2 Colorado's and the other cacher had an Oregon and they all loved them for the same reasons. I think the big difference would be the touch screen vs roller input. Now I have 3 different units to consider for our next upgrade, GPSMAPS60csx, Colorado 400T or the Oregon 400T. Of course I could stay brand loyal and go with the DeLorme PN-40 too! :)

Hi,

I've read many posts here of people asking what handheld to get, or which one is better.

I already have a nuvi for on road navigation, and I am currently using it for paperless geocaching as well using GSAK.

Now I want something to complement it for the final leg of hunt which is the leg work to the location, so I am looking for a simple unit that is very accurate.

Theres a ton of GPS out there so I would like to weed out the bad ones upfront to make the choice easier.

So with this said, what models should I stay away from?

Cheers

Having a water resistant handheld with a compass is nice, but why not just use the Nuvi? Autoroute to near the cache, turn off autoroute when close and zoom the map in to max. Then it's just a matter of walking until the container coords and your car icon merge.

I've tried it on several caches I know the location of and the Nuvi got me as close as anything I own. It is not as sensitive and doesn't refresh quite as fast as my Magellans but accuracy seems as good.