Garmin Oregon 300

danf1234

OK I am after a little advice here!!! I am based in the UK BTW.

I have set my heart on the Garmin Oregon 300 Sat Nav, as I want to take my geocaching up a level, as I am really getting in to it.

The question I have is what is the best thing to do about the maps??? Should I buy the Topo UK and the City Nav for the UK. I assume this will be adequate??

I currently have a Satmap 10 but it just isn't up to serious geocaching (although I do like using the 1:50000 UK map).

What I really like about the Garmin is the ability to get directions to a site, and the ability touse paperless caching. Both of which the satmap can't do.

Can I have some advice on this from the people that know please? Any advice positive or negative please!!!

I have set my heart on the Garmin Oregon 300 Sat Nav, as I want to take my geocaching up a level, as I am really getting in to it.

The question I have is what is the best thing to do about the maps??? Should I buy the Topo UK and the City Nav for the UK. I assume this will be adequate??

I currently have a Satmap 10 but it just isn't up to serious geocaching (although I do like using the 1:50000 UK map).

What I really like about the Garmin is the ability to get directions to a site, and the ability touse paperless caching. Both of which the satmap can't do.

Can I have some advice on this from the people that know please? Any advice positive or negative please!!!

i've just brought a 300 myself...wait until november when garmin release os maps for the oregon/colorado...not sure what and how much but wait and see....i have metroguide on mine but that doesnt give routing if you want that then you need city navigator...i also have topo on mine which isnt very good so i advise not to but it...

I too bought my Oregon 300 to step up our geocaching. Specifically, I liked the paperless feature and needed the electronic compass. I thought I would get a little more on accuracy especially in tree cover and I expected quicker startup. I am using the plug and play Nav NT for North America. My area is basically flat so the topo is not really needed. I remain pleased with the unit but I am not sure if I can truly justify spending the money over my Garmin 60C.

A case of watch this space on the paperless front.

I've been using a Satmap for the last month (but it seems like much much longer).

It has a few minor niggles (like I keep hitting the power button whilst reaching for the brightness control and switching it off and losing GPS lock) but on the whole it's serious enough for me.

I've used it both with the 1:25K map (Essex) and without (in Kent & Perth) and experienced no downsides.

I'm just in the process of writing an import software routine to massage the GPX data before importing which will allow me to paperless cache - still a work in progress I'm afraid the Active 10 doesn't support HTML at the moment.

That said I've had news from Satmap that they are working on an upgrade to allow a more rich POI support (including video clips!!!!!) but as yet no time frame has been offered.

As for the directions problem, the Active 10 will point you in the direction of either your "Go To" point or the nearest POI but I've not had much call to use this so I can't attest to how effective it is!

For me it was the best £225 (+£60 for map + £40 for rechargeable power pack) spent.

I have been out with the Satmap 10 today, and I have to say it is growing on me.

There are so many developments going on at Satmap at the minute, I think I am going to stick with it because it looks like we could be in for some very very tasty features.

Keep us posted on how you get along with the Satmap, Dan. It certainly looks like a nice bit of kit.

Does it actually have an arrow that points to a waypoint like the Etrex's I've used? I've looked at screenshots but haven't seen a screen with this feature.

I have been out with the Satmap 10 today, and I have to say it is growing on me.

There are so many developments going on at Satmap at the minute, I think I am going to stick with it because it looks like we could be in for some very very tasty features.

Keep us posted on how you get along with the Satmap, Dan. It certainly looks like a nice bit of kit.

Does it actually have an arrow that points to a waypoint like the Etrex's I've used? I've looked at screenshots but haven't seen a screen with this feature.

No it doesn't have an arow, it has a green flag, that you then need to change to a POI to save it. Its a bit of a faff to be honest!

You cannot delete found caches. Do you really need to? They are lableled as found so dont' show up in searches and if looking at the map they show the open treasure chest. What you have to do is either overwrite the GPX file with a new one or delete it.

I have got my 300 for a month now and it works fine. Also the accuracy is better than what I was used to. I bought it for the paperless caching feature. But here is my question:

how do I get the hints copied to the device through the gpx file? I see all the description but not the hints. So a couple of times already I could not find the cache by myself or because the signal was to bouncy.

Any advice?

Schim

You cannot delete found caches. Do you really need to? They are lableled as found so dont' show up in searches and if looking at the map they show the open treasure chest. What you have to do is either overwrite the GPX file with a new one or delete it.

I have got my 300 for a month now and it works fine. Also the accuracy is better than what I was used to. I bought it for the paperless caching feature. But here is my question:

how do I get the hints copied to the device through the gpx file? I see all the description but not the hints. So a couple of times already I could not find the cache by myself or because the signal was to bouncy.

Any advice?

Schim

I thought the whole idea of paperless caching on the Oregon was that you can see the hints. That's one of the main reason I want to buy one.

Help please!!

I am doing some product tests at the moment. Have used a bunch of Garmin GPSs and have found the Oregon 400t quite good and absolutely awesome considering it can save the logs, description, hint and much more. It sure comes in handy. However, I must say the Nuvi 500 is better in the sense of ease of use as well as navigating from a home address to the actual GPS locaiton. Not to mention it's cheaper. It's a bit of a pain that it doesn't have a easy button to press to get back to the map page. Also sucks that it cannot allow you to input a Lat/Lon location easily.

Does anyone know how to download the Geocache locations as waypoints so I can export them to another nuvi unit???

I do like the Oregon, 300 is better than 400T if you don't need the coastal mapping which most people doesn't. It fits into the hand easily, funky touch screen, excellent for geocaching, but at this stage I would go with a 60CSX.

Thanks for the advice with the Hint. It works great and now it is even more fun going caching, particularly with a wife and kid with little patience to search.

One more question:

I was looking for a multi cache where the hint to the final is a heading in degree (185 Deg) and a distance (point to point 108m). However there are obstacles in between the waypoint and the final so I would guess the walking distance is more like 200m. How to I enter the point of the final easiest into the 300? Or how do I track it? The odometer gives me the total distance walked but I couldn't find a feature that shows me the direct distance to the previous point. Any ideas?

Thanks alot

Schim

... How to I enter the point of the final easiest into the 300? Or how do I track it?....

Mark Waypoint -> Save and Edit --> Projekt Waypoint (on the bottom of the menu) --> Enter Bearing --> Seletc projection distance unit (ex. Meter) --> Enter Distance --> Save

Select the new Waypoint, GO

Edited by bonstetten

Dear All,

I have recently upgraded from a Garmin E-Trex to an Oregon 300 model.

I use memory map v 5.3.2 and until recently could always download/upload the E-Trex waypoints, tracks and routes etc. Unfortunately, I have not been able to do the same with the newer model 300. Waypoints are downloaded but not the tracks despite the system stating that the 'transfer is complete'.

This is very frustrating as I rely upon a graphical representation (overlay) of my actual route for later printing via memory map etc. I find it puzzling that a product a quarter of the price works smoother than a newer model and so suspect that I am doing something wrong. Does the oregon handle track details in a different format? Any help much appreciated.

Regards

i've just brought a 300 myself...wait until november when garmin release os maps for the oregon/colorado...not sure what and how much but wait and see....i have metroguide on mine but that doesnt give routing if you want that then you need city navigator...i also have topo on mine which isnt very good so i advise not to but it...

The problem is Memory Mapper, not the Oregon. Garmin changed to a different file system a few years ago.

The waypoints and tracks are in a file called "current.gpx" under drive://Garmin/GPX/ Open this file with your program. Then complain to the Memory Map people...... This kind of thing should have been addressed years ago.

The problem is Memory Mapper, not the Oregon. Garmin changed to a different file system a few years ago.

The waypoints and tracks are in a file called "current.gpx" under drive://Garmin/GPX/ Open this file with your program. Then complain to the Memory Map people...... This kind of thing should have been addressed years ago.

Since version of 2.93 beta, Oregon supports A301 protocol in Spammer mode, it would be possible to download tracklog from Oregon memory directly into application.